Sign in to follow this  
krawler

Baitcasting reels; Round vs Flat

Buying my first reel, when would i use a flat vs a round? Would like to buy a multipurpose reel. I mainly cast and retrieve spoons, stickbaits or spinners for pike or bass.

thanks

Whichever feels more comfy. Round reels tend to hold more line, but not always.

Round reels generally have lower gear ratios IE 5.3 to 1. They are better for big, or deep diving baits.

Low profile reels normally have higher speed gears IE 6.3 to 1, to bulge spinnerbaits and pick up line faster etc.

Strickly personal I have both and use them equally, but really like my Calcutta 151 & Curado, alot of reels come in low & hi speed reteives, ask a buddy to try one, or at the bait shop, Angling Outfitters in Woodstock will let you take one out side to try it

Richard

I'd say for your first baitcaster it should be low profile. Just a more comfortable fit which will allow you to learn the finer points of baitcasting without developing wrist issues. lol

i am looking at buying one too ( fathers day gift ?) and was wondering:

which style handles the lighter vs heavier lures ? ( ie musky lures vs bass lures)

thanks

splashhopper

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Topics

• Muskie Rods/Reels Casting and Trolling

View Advert Muskie Rods/Reels Casting and Trolling Everything you need for Muskie Fishing.  Check my other ad for tackle, bag, tools and net. St. Croix Sling Blade LTMU86HF $375 St. Croix PGM80HM $250 ST. Croix Top and Tail TMU80MHF $350 Shimano TDR Trolling Rod $30 Shimano Calcutta 401D Left Hand. Loaded with 80lb test Power Pro and a 100lb test flouro leader. With Reel Glove $390 Revo Toro NaCl 61 Left hand $250  

in Fishing Tackle and Equipment

• FS: Shimano/Megabass Baitcaster Reels

View Advert FS: Shimano/Megabass Baitcaster Reels Shimano Calcutta Conquest $539, Condition 9/10   Megabass IS-73 $539, Condition 9/10 (SOLD)   Megabass IS-79 $539, Condition 9/10 (SOLD)   Kevin @ 641-898-3899 Advertiser okumasheffield Date 06/18/2019

• Flat top or ring elements NF

Well, it's time for me to buy a new stove and I am having a really hard time deciding which one to buy. The trend seems to be toward flat tops but never having one I'm a little hesitant to go that route, I've been told that they can be finicky to clean and polish, are prone to scratching, and you have to be very careful what pans you use on them. The ring elements; well, I know they can be a pain to clean if you do have a spill but but I'm pretty careful and that doesn't happen too often. I

in General Discussion

• Higher end rods and reels for sale

View Advert Higher end rods and reels for sale Selling some higher end fishing gear. All bought within the last 2 years and all in excellent condition. G-Loomis NRX 853C JWR - $500 G-Loomis NRX 852S JWR - $500 Shimano Alderbaren 50HG - $450 Shimano Scorpian DC 100HG JDM - $350 Shimano Stradic Ci4 2500  - $280 Shimano Stradic 2500 Fk - $190 All reels are spooled with Power Pro (various pound tests') and are right handed. I can ship the reels (

• Daiwa Steez Baitcasting Combo

View Advert Daiwa Steez Baitcasting Combo Baicasting rod&reel in mint condition, for sale Advertiser peterc Date 11/09/2018 Price 600.00 CAD Category Fishing Classifieds