Monster Smallmouth caught when fishing for Pike

Hello all.

Nice to be back fishing again.

The other day I was fishing in lake simco, trying to get some pike when this monster smallmouth bite. It weighed around 6 pounds.

Whats the largest caught in Simcoe? This fish I caught was the biggest I have ever seen.

PS: just in case anyone is wondering, I released it and I know they are not in season.

I am including a picture.

Thanks

Happy fishing.

fish_bass.jpg

Edited by the_painter

Nice fish. That is large indeed.

8+ in Simcoe I beleive is the largest but it may be even closer to 9.

The fish I am holding in Avatar is exactly 7 pounds and it was really fat.

novsmallie72.jpg

and here is a 5.2 pounder

novsmallie5.jpg

Edited by Cudz

5-6 pounders are not uncommon in Simcoe. You're fish is a beauty for sure.

I know of 2 fish over 9 pounds out of Simcoe (not caught by me)

DSCF0693-1.jpg

this fish was caught in 07 by an angler out of Simcoe, kept unfortunately, but it shows there are PIGS to be had.

below is from one of my favourite days on Simcoe

i251393202_39464_2.jpg

I doubt any in this post are even 7 pounds...... :jerry:

There are some big fish in those pics...7+ is possible. A lot of guys are way off when estimating SMB weight though. Last year I bought a decent scale and weighed a lot of the bass I caught. Usually I just measure the length and toss 'em back but I was curious about just how much these bass I'd been catching weighed. Chunky 18 inchers usually weigh a little over 3lbs, maybe 3 1/2. 19 inches rarely top 4lbs and even a honest 20 inch fish is not much more than 4 1/2 lbs. I see people posting pics of bass they say were 18 inches and claim they were 5 pounders...not likely, in my experience.

My buddy caught a smallmouth that measured 22 inches...he swears up and down there's no way that fish weighed less than 8 lbs...I'd be surprised if it weighed six.

I thought it was a pike until I got it into the net. It gave me a very cool fight

I take it this size is pretty rare

the "cool fight" should have told you right there it wasn't a pike! If it was coming in like a wet blanket then I would have guessed pike too, but most smallies I know make a much better account of themselves. Pound for pound there is no debating a smallie outmuscles the pike every time. As far as a "rare fish", for Simcoe it actually isn't. I have a friend who fishes Simcoe fairly regularly and he will catch several 6 pounders a season and 5 pounders regularly. He actually tells me (joking?) he tries to pull the bait away from 5 pounders, only interested in 6 or better! If you eliminate Simcoe and Erie from the equation then that is a rare fish (but considering your fish came from Simcoe I guess we can't do that!). Either way, its one heck of a bass. The good news is, spend a few more days on Simcoe this year (or Erie) and you may just beat it!

Sorry, I dont mean to rain on your parade. To me, an out of season fish dont count for crap. Anybody can go out and catch a 5-6 pound smallie on Simcoe in early June. I have read that a fish can increase in weight up to one third its body weight with eggs.I also feel that it should not count as a personal best. Sorry,just my two cents.

Yeah, you better erase that picture and have the part of your brain removed where that memory is located. :lol:

As if something can't count for a PERSONAL best. Jesus.

Nice smallie, congrats on the catch. Glad it was released unharmed as is the only true rule that applies to incidentally caught OOS fish.

And 6lb bass on Simcoe are sure not a rarity. Check out the winning weights of any tournament there! Insane.