New Boat

kennyman

Always glad to help,

50:1 would have been the recommended ratio in 1973 using 2 stroke oil. However, back then it was still common to mix the fuel with automotive engine oil at 32:1 or 40:1 as 2 stroke oil was still not that common. 2 stroke oil of the day was also not as good as it is now. OMC motors built during and after 1964 use a 50:1 oil mix. Mix your fuel at 50:1 using a TCW3 rated oil and 87 octane (ethanol free if possible) gasoline. You don't need to use synthetic oil, but that's a personal choice. Also, don't use higher octane gas as it will leave deposits in your motor. I still recommend a good decarbing using Seafoam or other quality product.

Boatman

PS. I can't jet a Holley, but I know a little about old OMC's. I'm always looking for old OMC outboards to rebuild.

Just curious boatman. Why would a higher octane gas leave deposits in the motor? I understand not using ethanol,because it's quite dry and non-lubricating. Actually when we have run a car on alcohol we need to use a top lube like klotz. There are also fragrances you can buy like,cherry,groovy grape, root beer, pina colada, or bubble gum that you can add to get rid of the smell. I wonder if they'd work with two-stroke LOL. Kevin,no I didn't get a trailer with the deal. I wish I did! For now I'll be throwing it on top of my Pathfinder or more than likely most of the time it'll be in the back of my buddies pickup. Hopefully I can pick up a little trailer down the road for $100 or something. I know a few guys that scrounge around scouring the countryside for scrap metal,cars etc. so I'll put the word out. Lew,TJ,Boatman,Ohio,everyone else, thanks.

Guest mistyriver1

Kennyman, firstly congrats on your boat :thumbsup_anim:

Your kids are around the same age as mine (mine are 13 and 7) and I'll tell you, there is nothing better than having 2 fishing partners living under your roof at any time. The memories that await you in your boat are awesome. We also have a pop-up trailer (have had it for over 10 years) and they are great thing for a young family.

Enjoy and congrats

Jim

I'm not sure I'm ready to have my outboard smell like bubble gum! How about barbeque or fresh rain? lol

Your motor was designed for 87 octane. High octane gas has more additives and requires a hotter burn than your motor provides. It does not burn completely in the low compression environment inside your outboard and will leave more residue in the combustion chamber.

Your motor might be a 1973, but its ignition system was designed in the 50's.

Ethanol being dry isn't the problem since its the oil that does the lubricating. Ethanol deteriorates the rubber parts in your fuel system and has the nasty habit of separating from the gas and attracting water. Imagine trying to run your outboard on pure alcohol or water! If you have to use Ethanol blended fuel, as we all will soon, its best to stabilise the fuel as soon as you mix it. Actually, I recommend stabilising everytime regardless, but again that's a personal choice.

I'm not sure I'm ready to have my outboard smell like bubble gum! How about barbeque or fresh rain? lol

Your motor was designed for 87 octane. High octane gas has more additives and requires a hotter burn than your motor provides. It does not burn completely in the low compression environment inside your outboard and will leave more residue in the combustion chamber.

Your motor might be a 1973, but its ignition system was designed in the 50's.

Ethanol being dry isn't the problem since its the oil that does the lubricating. Ethanol deteriorates the rubber parts in your fuel system and has the nasty habit of separating from the gas and attracting water. Imagine trying to run your outboard on pure alcohol or water! If you have to use Ethanol blended fuel, as we all will soon, its best to stabilise the fuel as soon as you mix it. Actually, I recommend stabilising everytime regardless, but again that's a personal choice.

I can attest to the seperating from the gas and attracting water. In an engine running on pure alcohol the oil turns to milk very quickly (makes me cringe). Not only that but if you pulled a valve cover off just after running the engine it would literally drip water (and a bunch of it). Part of the reason and alot of the benefit of alcohol is because it runs SOOO cool. The intakes can actually freeze up. This helps with the charge but creates alot of condensation. In my mind I always thought the good fuels like Ultra 94 have a stabilzer built into them (because they are two different fuels mixed together that have to combine as one), would be better burning and have less chance of detonation etc. which can be incredibly damaging.But as you can see I'm in a four stroke frame of mind. This is a whole learning curve for me all the way around. Thanks again.

Congratulations on your new boat.. I still have my 1st 12 ft and still use it at my trailer.. busy getting things set for this year to do some back roads with it and my 9.9 and 35lbs minnkota .. going to do a little work on it this year... Painted it last year to make her look PR........Ty.. Painted her to match my 17ft ... matching pair :thumbsup_anim: Have fun with her,,,,