New Boat

kennyman

I'd say she is the prettiest sight you ever laid eyes on! Good luck and congrats!

I just hope this version of "Sea King" is more reliable than the military helicopter version! LOL

That's funny, those are almost the exact words that came out of my buddies mouth! Hopefully it won't fall out of the sky LOL.

Nothing wrong with your boat. just clean her up and your ready to go. Fish don't know how to read so whatever name is on the side it will still catch fish! As far as the motor run it in a tank to make sure everything is working ok...I.E. coils, plugs etc. are good. Change the lower gear oil and your all set. I think you will find that the motor is a Johnson, probably a 1960 model. Both were made by OMC but the evinrude cover ( engine shroud ) did not have the same slope on the rear as the johnson if I am not mistaken.

Edited by Garyv

All you need is to slap a little fishfinder on there and your good to go. Looks like my first boat, I think everybody started with somthing similar to yours, I still have mine as a reserve or for small waters.

Edited by GbayGiant

Is it your first boat? If so, enjoy fishing out on the lake.

The best thing about a boat that size is that you can throw it on the roof of a car and go anywhere. A 12 footer started my buddies and I off on an annual trip to the French that eventually migrated down to the Moon Basin.

Looks like a nice unit. I'd be very happy with it.

Your motor was built between 1964 and 1973. It could be either a Johnson or Evinrude. It has obviously been repainted, but those are Evinrude colours from the 60's even if they don't match the original paint scheme. It also looks like its had some parts replaced. Post the model number and I'll tell you what year it is for sure. Also, check that the model number on the transom mount matchs the number on the engine block. I wouldn't be surprised if they were different. You might find it doesn't make as much power as you'd expect from a 9.5 since its based on the old 7.5hp motor, but it should push your boat fine.

Its a good motor when properly maintained. It has two common issues. One is exhaust gas getting in under the shroud and choking the engine and the other is related to the fuel recirculating tube from the crankcase to the cylinders. Make sure all the seals are good, especially the one around the shift lever and you won't have the exhaust problem. The recirculation tube problem is more difficult. I have never worked on one of these motors so I can only tell you what I've heard. The recirc. tube takes unused fuel that pools in the crankcase and reinjects it into the cylinder instead of letting it drain out the exhaust into the environment. This causes fuel richness issues at times.

Run it at 50:1 and decarb the engine right away. It'll probably give you another +30 years.

Nothing wrong with your boat. just clean her up and your ready to go. Fish don't know how to read so whatever name is on the side it will still catch fish! As far as the motor run it in a tank to make sure everything is working ok...I.E. coils, plugs etc. are good. Change the lower gear oil and your all set. I think you will find that the motor is a Johnson, probably a 1960 model. Both were made by OMC but the evinrude cover ( engine shroud ) did not have the same slope on the rear as the johnson if I am not mistaken.

Thanks Garyv. It's a 1973 motor according to the numbers. I have my Dad looking after all the initial checks. Actually he went down and grabbed the boat and motor for me. I called him on the phone for his expertise a couple nights ago.We've both been looking for the right deal to come along and he's had boats since I was a kid and has always fixed EVERYTHING himself. Anyway I was going to go on Sunday to pick the boat up myself, but he offered to go right away for me. So he and my stepmom drove all the way from Carleton Place to Kingston, checked it all out loaded it up,took it home and now he's working on it! He even talked the guy down!!! :worthy: He's been working on small motors for a long time,so I think I'm in good hands. Actually, I think he's as excited as I am.

Looks like a nice unit. I'd be very happy with it.

Your motor was built between 1964 and 1973. It could be either a Johnson or Evinrude. It has obviously been repainted, but those are Evinrude colours from the 60's even if they don't match the original paint scheme. It also looks like its had some parts replaced. Post the model number and I'll tell you what year it is for sure. Also, check that the model number on the transom mount matchs the number on the engine block. I wouldn't be surprised if they were different. You might find it doesn't make as much power as you'd expect from a 9.5 since its based on the old 7.5hp motor, but it should push your boat fine.

Its a good motor when properly maintained. It has two common issues. One is exhaust gas getting in under the shroud and choking the engine and the other is related to the fuel recirculating tube from the crankcase to the cylinders. Make sure all the seals are good, especially the one around the shift lever and you won't have the exhaust problem. The recirculation tube problem is more difficult. I have never worked on one of these motors so I can only tell you what I've heard. The recirc. tube takes unused fuel that pools in the crankcase and reinjects it into the cylinder instead of letting it drain out the exhaust into the environment. This causes fuel richness issues at times.

Run it at 50:1 and decarb the engine right away. It'll probably give you another +30 years.

Boatman,it's a 1973 and an Evinrude. Thanks for the tech info. You obviously know your stuff and the help is appreciated. I passed that info onto my Dad so he'll check it out (he probably already knows LOL). So the fuel recirculating tube is similar to an EGR on a car,(two stroke version I guess). Give me a 69 Camaro and I can work on it no problem,but an outboard is a whole new world to me. I'm going to get my Dad to give me a quick once through before I venture out too far on my own. So 50:1 is the proper ratio? I'm taking it that the factory reccomendation was 30:1 or 40:1 but they run too "fat" when mixed that way? You've got me curious now. Like I said I can jet a Holley,but I have no clue when it comes to a two-stroke. Let me know and thanks again for the info. :thumbsup_anim:

Thanks to all the "well wishers" that congratulated me on getting a boat. My daughter (12) says it's stupid looking and she's not going in it :lol: . She says I should at least get one like Grandpa Ken's (Smokercraft Fazer). My boy (9) thinks it's be cool to go in it. I'm hoping I can get them both out fishing a bit more and keep them interested. My buddy LJ was pretty happy and he'll probably be in it almost as much as I am. My wife,well I think she's glad I got a boat because it makes me happy plus I only spent $500 and didn't get carried away this time (which I have had a tendency to do on occasion in the past). Really I lay the blame for it on my wife who thought fishing would go well with camping (we bought a pop-up trailer last year and yes I did get carried away with that) and bought me a book for my birthday, my buddy LJ who got me out fishing alot last year and my Dad and stepmom Linda for taking me out on their boat when we camped at Murphy's Point. My Dad you see does the driving and my stepmom Linda catches all the fish :lol: .I loved that whole experience and so did my kids. That day, may have been the thing that really "hooked me". Now to be fair to my Dad,he can catch fish and even won the big prize a few years back at the Orillia Perch festival. They've got tagged fish I believe every year they've gone except the last. We'll see this year. Anyway enough of my :blahblah1: . Thanks again everyone. Now,teach me how to fish LOL.

Always glad to help,

50:1 would have been the recommended ratio in 1973 using 2 stroke oil. However, back then it was still common to mix the fuel with automotive engine oil at 32:1 or 40:1 as 2 stroke oil was still not that common. 2 stroke oil of the day was also not as good as it is now. OMC motors built during and after 1964 use a 50:1 oil mix. Mix your fuel at 50:1 using a TCW3 rated oil and 87 octane (ethanol free if possible) gasoline. You don't need to use synthetic oil, but that's a personal choice. Also, don't use higher octane gas as it will leave deposits in your motor. I still recommend a good decarbing using Seafoam or other quality product.

Boatman

PS. I can't jet a Holley, but I know a little about old OMC's. I'm always looking for old OMC outboards to rebuild.