I thought my boat couldn't get any more ghetto

Cudz

I have a boat. It is supposed to be 12' long but it is 11'6. It leaks quite a bit and it is pretty unstable.

Having said that, it was free and I also caught lots of fish out of it last year.

So the boat was free and I managed to fix up an old trailer (also free). The best thing on the boat was the 6hp yamaha that I was borrowing. The owner of the boat just purchased a little tinner so he needed his motor back. I had to scramble for a motor and my dad, who lives in Alberta, stepped up to the plate and sent me his old 4.5hp kicker from his boat. Way to go dad. He gave it to me for free and even paid to have it shipped here.

One small problem. It is a long shaft. Well off I went to Canadian tire to buy some hardware. I also found some old wood in my garage and for under $10 I now have a transom that will hold a long shaft motor. It really does look goofy but I don't care. As long as I can get out on the water.

PS if anyone wants to trade a similar sized short shaft motor for this one shoot me a PM.

That is University of Waterloo engineering at work!!

transom1.jpg

transom2.jpg

transom3.jpg

looked weak...and dangerous. the torque on the motor will bend those angle aluminum in no time.

That might be the case if the braces were aluminum. They are steel and much thicker than the picture shows. I guarantee it will break at the bottom seem below the transom before the braces twist or torque.f. Torque on the motor? Are you kidding. It is a 4.5 hp. Even the 6 couldn't plane the boat with 2 guys in it. I don't drive or accelerate hard ever (not that I could). The most torque that trasom will feel is when I trailer it and go over bumps.

What makes me laugh is that I can see a couple hundred dollars worth of rods and reels lol :thumbsup_anim: , your like me...skimp on the boat/motor but put thousands of dollars into rods, reels and tackle. too funny

P.S. I see the ducktape on the tiller :clapping:

-Ben

Edited by Ben_Daniels

ya definitly doesnt look strong but hey it'll work! my boat is pretty ghetto to lol! right after the snow left my buddy called me and said we are going to the camp tomorrow and bring your boat. my boat leaks like crazy and i was like crap i gotta fix that before i go. so i went out in the pouring rain and took a tube of PL premium and just layed it on thick! i was a little nervous about my boat and i didnt even know if it would even be that dry yet but i took it out anyways and well it doesnt leak a drop and i've used it 3-4times now haha!! you dont need to be impressing ppl with your sweet ride out on the lake. impress ppl with the fish you catch!

ya definitly doesnt look strong but hey it'll work! my boat is pretty ghetto to lol! right after the snow left my buddy called me and said we are going to the camp tomorrow and bring your boat. my boat leaks like crazy and i was like crap i gotta fix that before i go. so i went out in the pouring rain and took a tube of PL premium and just layed it on thick! i was a little nervous about my boat and i didnt even know if it would even be that dry yet but i took it out anyways and well it doesnt leak a drop and i've used it 3-4times now haha!! you dont need to be impressing ppl with your sweet ride out on the lake. impress ppl with the fish you catch!

PL premium eh? I have some right now. I might just give that a shot.

I'd have a short rope or chain on the motor to the boat just in case, beats shore fishing or bumming rides when ever you can

Richard

That is a good idea.

What makes me laugh is that I can see a couple hundred dollars worth of rods and reels lol :thumbsup_anim: , your like me...skimp on the boat/motor but put thousands of dollars into rods, reels and tackle. too funny

P.S. I see the ducktape on the tiller :clapping:

-Ben

It isn't even duct tape. lol. It is electrical tape. It is only there to take a sharp edge off a metal piece. THe motor was a kicker for a bigger boat and there is a metal braket on the tiller where a rod used to fit in and joing to the bigger main motor in order to be able to steer the boat from the console. I could just take it off but I think it fits in with the whole theme of the boat. By the way the boat's name is TONY. I never named it but it is on the front both sides. lol

That is University of Waterloo engineering at work!!

Is it any wonder the manufacturing industry is in the state it's in? ;)

Get some ABQ's, get up the grid, and get a new boat (teacher talk for the rest of you).

Jim

Is it any wonder the manufacturing industry is in the state it's in? ;)

Get some ABQ's, get up the grid, and get a new boat (teacher talk for the rest of you).

Jim

13 years teaching. Can't go any higher.

3 kids and a wife who is staying at home (for now). She is a corporate lawyer. I used to have stuff before the kids (new BMW, Infinity, a range rover and 2 grand cherokees as well as a live in maid and a nice boat). Whe she goes back to work I will improve my fishing machine. She doesn't really like fishing so it is a battle. lol

13 years teaching. Can't go any higher.

3 kids and a wife who is staying at home (for now). She is a corporate lawyer. I used to have stuff before the kids (new BMW, Infinity, a range rover and 2 grand cherokees as well as a live in maid and a nice boat). Whe she goes back to work I will improve my fishing machine. She doesn't really like fishing so it is a battle. lol

Two words: Vice Principal

Wow man, talk about having your priorities in the right order; You're an inspiration.

Until the new boat arrives you can take solace in the fact that you have won the Rube Goldberg engine mounting competition :clapping: Now if you can come up with some outriggers to tackle the wind......

Jim

It isn't even duct tape. lol. It is electrical tape. It is only there to take a sharp edge off a metal piece. THe motor was a kicker for a bigger boat and there is a metal braket on the tiller where a rod used to fit in and joing to the bigger main motor in order to be able to steer the boat from the console. I could just take it off but I think it fits in with the whole theme of the boat. By the way the boat's name is TONY. I never named it but it is on the front both sides. lol

TONY...lol...that's the funniest thing i've heard all day :lol: