Kawartha Musky opener

I met up with OFC'er ricoboxing and a couple of my buddies and we hit Sturgeon lake. Rico and I were in our kayaks and my buddies were in their Sportspal. Rico had the first fish on, a 38" musky he caught on a Magnum musky killer.

rico2.jpg

rico4.jpg

After clipping a Magnum on my leader I had a bite. Didn't fight very well and I saw why when I got it to the boat.

18inch.jpg

It was an 18" walleye that would have made a nice meal but I released it to swim another day.

skion.jpg

Then I hooked a 27" musky on a Giant killer bucktail.

musky44.jpg

I caught another ski that was only 24" but that was all for the day. Final score: kayaks-3 musky and a walleye.

griffperch.jpg

Sportspal-1 perch 12".

Edited by jediangler

Was out on Pigeon Lake today from 6:30am to 3:30pm.. 3 small walleyes and alot of wind.....

Tiz

i was down at the south end of Pigeon, launched in the river... the wind wasn't too bad there... hooked one small ski (around 30") on a bucktail, jumped twice, but spit the hook at boatside before we could get it in the net.

I was on Lower Buckhorn with two clients. The surface temp was 63 degrees. When we launched it was a Blue Bird day, which was fine because neither client knew how to baitcast. After a quick lesson we were off down the Lake.

There were several OOS Bass caught during the morning. The most notable was at Redrock Island were one guy landed and quickly released about a 4 pound SMBass on one of my Musky size spinnerbaits.

BucktailSpinnerbaitchartreusecloudy.jpg

There were about six boats on the Three Sisters, so we passed them up and worked our way to the end of the lake, then back in around the islands.

On a rocky flat we found a Musky...

TerryWithMusky.jpg

As we worked our way back into a very stiff wind I was glad that I replaced the trolling motor batteries this year! I needed 100% way to much of the time for tired batteries. Looking for places that might not have already been pounded we stopped in a favourite area of mine and hooked another nice fish on this skirt...

DSCN1636.jpg

...Which became this Bucktail ...

GregandtheMuskyLure.jpg

...And caught this fish!

GarryAndtheMusky.jpg

The clients were tired and happy when we headed home, and so was I...HAHAHA!

Edited by garry2rs

You should check out Lake Chemong if you're in the area. I heard the bite was on today.

Wasn't on for us. We spent about 4 hours (9am - 1pm) on Chemong throwing various bucktails and large spinnerbaits and never sniffed a musky. A few OOS largies (and piddly ones at that) was all we could muster.

Wasn't on for us. We spent about 4 hours (9am - 1pm) on Chemong throwing various bucktails and large spinnerbaits and never sniffed a musky. A few OOS largies (and piddly ones at that) was all we could muster.

No luck eh, that's too bad. I talked to my buddy yesterday and he said he landed quite a few Ski's around the Lancaster & Fife's bay area of Lower Chemong. Apparently bucktails were the weapon of choice for the day, and a few fish were also caught on a black and yellow Harvo jointed..

Hit Balsam today out from the Prov Park.Spent the morning chasing marks on the graph no fish. I had bumped into a fella at the dock asking about the fishing.Told him to stay pretty shallow for musky.Bout an hour and a half later he comes trolling by with a big grin and says thanks.Got himself a 36 incher.Well at least I can talk a legal into some one elses boat.Any way after a bit I moved on down towards the canoe launch and started firing out a perch coloured Wally Minnow hoping for dinner.Not much happening for a good 15 mins when BAMM boat side on a halfhearted figure eight.Go figure soon as I decide I'm walleye fishing now up comes a musky.

101_0375__Small_.jpg

101_0377__Small_.jpg

I'm still trying to catch a legal size but at least I started the season off with some slime.

Kerry

Fished the Tri-lakes and wasn't impressed with the wind, but did use it to our advantage. Fished from about 7am to 4pm with a follow, a sighting and one fish in the boat. Kind of a tough day, but the one fish was a nice 47.5 inches so it was worth it.

Rather skinny fish, but as to be expected this time of year. She hit a swimmin Joe off a wind blown structure, and I mean windblown. I had to use the outboard to control us and couldn't imagine landing this fish with just 2 guys and that wind blowing us right on the rocks, I had to try and just hold us steady and not drag the fish too much as we popped the hooks out and released her. I'll try and get some pics up later on. Water was low 60's and up to the mid 60's by afternoon.