My Fishing Partner Has Been Side Lined for 8 Weeks

Was on my way home from work last night when my wife called to say my son had taken a spill on his Bike.

Hurt his arm really badly luckily he was wearing his helmet he also hit his head but nothing happened up there thankfully.

Well back over the bridge to Montreal Childrens Hospital.

It didn't take long to find out he broke his arm 2 bones in the lower forearm :stretcher:

IMG_0459_1.jpg

Waiting to see the Doctor believe me he was in alot of pain.

IMG_0460_1.jpg

The phonecall to Mom telling her he had broken his arm.

IMG_0463_1.jpg

Cast #1 for the evening we went for X-rays 3 times.

IMG_0465_1.jpg

This was after Ryan had his arm set believe me you don't want to know what this is like to see your child scream

while the doc resets the broken bone.All he had was an oral dose of Morphine.His fracture was a 14 degree break so any more than that and he

would have been off to surgery.

IMG_0467_1.jpg

Back for X-rays for the 3rd time the first attempt at setting the break failed.

IMG_0469_1.jpg

This was cast number 2 .This time the Doc set his arm perfectly but not without Ryan suffering he was screaming very loudly

but managed to get through his ordeal.I must say he was pretty tough considering what he had to endure the second time for 2 mins.

IMG_0478_1.jpg

IMG_0479_1.jpg

IMG_0481_1.jpg

IMG_0482_1_1.jpg

It was not me who wanted to post these pics On OFC but Ryan.

He really loves this fishing board.He will be missing his fishing the most .

He is rather upset that he won't be able to fish with me in 3 weeks at the Thomas Marine fishing Tournament.

Soccer had just started this week and he won't be able to play for 8 to 12 weeks.

I just want to say a Big thanks to the Montreal Childrens Hospital who attended to my son rather well.

I was in and out in less than 4 hours I never seemed to wait long at all we were taken care of rather quickly.

I must say our Healthcare system works well when the patient has a serious injury.

So everyone take your kids fishing and enjoy.I guess I have a tiller Pilot for awhile.

MTP

Edited by Mike the Pike

Hey MIke,

Pass my best wishes and hope for a speedy recovery along to Ryan. I'm really glad that we was wearing his helmet and didn't suffer more serious injuries.

I'll miss watching him outfish you for the next while LOL.

That sux.

Your boy seems tougher than most his age. He went through quite an ordeal but came out with a smile on his face...good for him. Mending a busted limb is pretty much part of growing up it seems. At least for kids who don't spend all day/everyday inside in front of a computer.

Missing part of the season is hard to take, but it won't be long until you're both back out on the water. Perhaps a Dad-funded trip to your local tackle shop one of these days might help make the wait a little easier to take. I'm pretty much positive at least one of you will enjoy that.

He'll be fishing in no time. When I was around his age, I did the same thing, only off a skateboard. I was fishing in a couple weeks.

At least his tiller arm is good to go!!

He's a trooper! That looked painful in the pics!!!

S.

hope you are feeling a bit better today Ryan. My son broke his lower arm bone in two places when he was your age and he ended up having to have two plates and some screws to fix it, then a cast on top of that. It was also his right arm and I think the thing that bothered him most was going to the washroom, being right handed and all...... I'll stop there without details :lol:

Take care little guy.

Joey

Yup! :thumbsup_anim: Young boys are supposed to break things, it reminds them later in life not to do dumb stuff!!! ;)

I had casts on both arms and a leg (seperate incidents) when I was around his age, bike wrecks, tree climbing falls, skateboard falls, fighting... it's all part of being a boy and growing up!!! B)

The champ is down, but not out!!! I remember getting the bone set in my arm, and I know my dad remembers it, 'cause he had to hold on! Not fun at all....way to get through it and post the pics, Ryan :thumbsup_anim: 8 weeks seems like a long time, but it will most definitely pass quicker than you think. Hmmm...just thinkin' out loud...you can troll....just have to figure out a way to jam the rod somewhere while you reel...maybe Dad needs to buy some new rod holders :rolleyes:

That sux.

Your boy seems tougher than most his age. He went through quite an ordeal but came out with a smile on his face...good for him. Mending a busted limb is pretty much part of growing up it seems. At least for kids who don't spend all day/everyday inside in front of a computer.

Missing part of the season is hard to take, but it won't be long until you're both back out on the water. Perhaps a Dad-funded trip to your local tackle shop one of these days might help make the wait a little easier to take. I'm pretty much positive at least one of you will enjoy that.

Well tough he had no choice bite his lip and wait for the limb to fall in place.That Sux.

As for the Tackle store he had a recent trip to Bass Pro Shops where he was spoiled .He owed me a couple of weekends of chores and thats not going to happen.

IMG_0456_1.jpg

Sorry to hear Mike!... good thing he was wearing his bucket! Next time he goes and has his cast removed (which he will) request a fibreglass cast for him.. ALOT lighter and more comfortable.

G

I looked into the Fiberglass cast Gerritt but they only put them on below the elbow .

After 3 weeks in this cast he will be going to the shorter version below the elbow and then I will request the fiberglass cast.

hope you are feeling a bit better today Ryan. My son broke his lower arm bone in two places when he was your age and he ended up having to have two plates and some screws to fix it, then a cast on top of that. It was also his right arm and I think the thing that bothered him most was going to the washroom, being right handed and all...... I'll stop there without details :lol:

Take care little guy.

Joey

We had that conversation last night with him on the way home I was shocked to learn he is good to go :lol: he already routinely used the left arm.

No messes :lol:

Thats rough... Avery broke his arm last fall... nothing like something like that to brighten your day... I was born at Montreal Childrens Hospital!! Did you see the OFC wing... lol

he'll be fishing within 3 weeks! i guarantee it! i did the same thing when i was in grade 6... full arm cast. we were scheduled to go to florida for a family trip and i fished off the Daytona pier, caught a bunch of bluefish and redfish... then went on our annual rice lake trip and fished for smallies.

he'll be back at it before you know it!

i hope the arm feels better soon!

Brave young lad there. Yes it is a horrible sensation to hear your kid screaming while you are helpless to do anything about it (no thanks for the reminder. Shudder).

Most young lads are quite resilient. 2-3 weeks he'll be back fishing. Good time for him to practice being ambidextrous and fish the other hand. Hope your lad recovers soon.

Tough luck.

Our eldest did exactly the same thing, the same way, at the same age, and had a cast that looked identical. He was in it for 6 weeks and then the doc said the xrays looked so good he was taking it off. We were leaving that day for a beach cottage and had asked if there was any chance of getting it off early.

Steve was really hurting when the cast came off. His elbow had been locked in that bent position for so long it just didn't want to move. You could tell he was near tears and that doesn't come easily for a rough tough 10 year old.

As soon as we hit the cottage Steve was into his bathing suit and out into the waves. He splashed around out there for about 4 hours before he came out of the water. Turned out it was therapeutic as he said the aching was gone completely.

Keep it in mind for when your guy loses his cast.

JF

Sorry to hear about your arm Ryan. You need to mend soon though cause you know that your dad needs you to hold all the fish that you catch. Do what the docs say and you should be fine very soon.