Odd looking Smallmouth

bronze_back

That is fascinating. I've caught bass with the odd very small black patch but nothing like that.

Charles Darwin had a theory on this.

He said the survivors in a species adapt to their environment better than the non survivors. This would include changing color as the local environment dictated for prey ambush, predator avoidance etc.

Not sure if that’s the case here but it may be as the bass looks otherwise healthy.

I have caught some Largemouth Bass with similar markings, but not nearly to that extent. That is by far the most extensive pattern and intensity of black spots that I have ever seen. Seems like we have been catching them more recently in the past couple of years, but that could just be that I am fishing more. Anyways we call it black spot disease, however this is just a term we conjured up and I really have no idea what it actually is. I wonder if there are any studies being done on it?

Mike the Bass Fisherman - You're about to start your post-secondary education in this kind of field... looks like an interesting study/term project for you if your course does these sorts of things.

I've only see this in largemouth's before. That was until Nippissing a couple of weekends ago and I got a smallie that was blotched up. Not as much as yours but quite a bit. I think it's just a skin pigmentation and nothing to be concerned about but I could be wrong. Cool looking fishing though.

I have caught many largemouth in recent years with spots like that, but the spots are usually the size of a toonie or so. A few years back, I did catch a largie on Rice that was virtually black, but not blotchy like the one in your pic. I took a picture of it next to a normal colour largie for contrast. If you look at the belly of your bass, up near the front, was there some sort of wound or sore there? Maybe the black spotting is some sort of skin virus like lymphosarcoma that muskies get.

My "black" bass pic.

darkbass.jpg

Not sure what you guys are looking at but that doesn't look like a very healthy fish to me. Its fins look awful. Especially the dorsal fin. But the pectoral fin and tail also look like they are rotting away where the black bacteria/virus has affected it. Granted the damage may be a result of spawning (although it is still a little early) but it looks to me like it is a result of that black issue. Look at the dorsal fin in the third photo. It looks like the fin is rotting away. A nice fish, to be sure, but it looks like it is host to some sort of bacteria or virus and I would doubt that fish will survive very much longer. Just my opinion though.

doesn't look like it's rotting away to me...just damage (split fins)

it most likely is a skin mutation that isn't seen too often. the fish (other than the obvious discolouration) seems healthy, has proper mass and is eating fine.

Thanks for the replies. The fish was healthy as far as I could tell. It was very aggressive while fighting it, eyes were clear and it was fairly chunky.. The red on its belly in the third pic is just the reflection of a red tackle bag that was sitting in front of me.

Not sure what you guys are looking at but that doesn't look like a very healthy fish to me. Its fins look awful. Especially the dorsal fin. But the pectoral fin and tail also look like they are rotting away where the black bacteria/virus has affected it. Granted the damage may be a result of spawning (although it is still a little early) but it looks to me like it is a result of that black issue. Look at the dorsal fin in the third photo. It looks like the fin is rotting away. A nice fish, to be sure, but it looks like it is host to some sort of bacteria or virus and I would doubt that fish will survive very much longer. Just my opinion though.

I'd hardly call those fins rotted, they're beat up and likely from the spawn, smallmouth spawn in water between 52-58 degrees, and Ahmic Lake should be between 58-62 right now. The fish should be on their beds now, some should be done their spawn.

That fish is otherwise healthy looking, the blotching wouldnt be causing it any harm. The blotching is often caused by skin pigment hormones that are associated with stress ie. catch and release, livewell holding, spawn, but is not necessarily relevant to the fish's current state of health as the markings will stay for life.

I hope this helps. Ahmic Lake seems to be especially bad for it, I've caught many smallies with blotching (although none as crazy as this one) I've caught the same fish off the same spot on two different years. Same mushroom shaped blotch on his cheek