What type of Knife

Clampet

Well, got tired of using my Walleye filleting knife, which I found to be a little on the large size fer the Perch.

A fellow ice angler from the USA advised me to purchase an electric knife.

I did for $8.95 on sale.

I tried it for about three fish, then decided it wasn't the solution fer me.

I then invested $20 some odd dollars on a 4" Rapala Filleting knife, and I found it made the job a lot easier.

Here is the result of 35 Perch, fillet, de-boned, skinless....

Boneless_Perch_Fillet.jpg

Dude on the lake recommended a cheap one from Walmart, which is what I bought.

Kinda like splittin hairs with an axe, no finesse there.

Ya can't afford to miss on them small Perch, or you wind up with toothpicks.

I couldn't agree more. You don't want to waste any of those tasty morsels. Good call on the Rapala.

Why waste the time to fillet them? All us Southern boys fry our panfish whole. Just scale,behead, and gut the little guys. Throw them in a gallon zip loc back with your favorite fry mix and throw them in the pan, allow about 3 mins. per side (depending on the size of the fish). Remove from pan and place on paper towels to drain. Use a fork and start at the dorsal removing the meat from the back bone on the side that is facing up... when all the meat is removed from that side,simply remove the back bone with an upward pull and there's another fine fillet laying there! It takes a little practice, but once you get the hang of it you'll never waste the time to fillet small fish. Not nearly as much waste as filleting (meat AND time). I never fillet any fish shorter than 12".

the rapala electric fillet knife is awesome. got it on sale at CT for $35.99 and i love it. i can now fillet perch and make every fillet perfect and it only took a few fish to get good with it. its almost impossible to screw up using it. alot of people think they tear the meat and the final product is a ragged hunk of meat. not the truth :thumbsup_anim:

you can actually push down firmly and the blade will flex around the backbone so you get more meat than with a normal knife. i guess its the angle of the serrated knife?

works great for cutting meat nice and thin for jerky too :thumbsup_anim: