custom musky rods

wolfmachine

found this guy, RKcustom rods.net off kijiji when i was searching for musky rods..

i'll be picking up a 6'6'' compre this weekend, which i thinik will be suitable for trolling, jerkbaiting, and throwing my large cranks

i'm thinking of getting a 7'6'' or so rod made for throw bucktails etc. to put with my c4 reel

is this a good idea, what i mean is..is a rod this length suitable for my application?

i'm thinking medium heavy with a fast tip so i can realy whip those bucks out there

he offers, " tiger eye" " batson" and " st croix" rods and the prices are very reasonable i thought. i could get my name in the rod and everything haha

any opinions??

Longer rods will cast a little farther...but...they aren't as accurate. If an extra foot of length equals an extra three feet of distance it also can mean you are an extra three feet farther from the target. To look at it a different way, say that with a six foot rod you can reach a target but you're average cast will miss the bull's eye by about a foot. A seven foot rod will multiply your error by three.

Sometimes they are easier to figure-eight with.

The latest fashion trend is toward longer rods. Twenty years ago a six-six was a long rod.

Longer rods are more dangerous to others in a boat. Two or three feet of leader, 8 to10 inches of bait, eight feet of rod and three feet of arm means everyone in a twenty foot boat needs to be aware of the guy swinging the weapon.

I had a client, using a 7' 3" rod, take a rod out of my hand last year.

He was on the rear deck, while I was stand at the trolling motor of a boat over 18 feet long!

In a careless moment he tried to send a long cast to a distant target directly behind the boat.

His Sledge crossed in front of my face, and the hooks snagged my rod, and breaking it in two.

That was his last trip with me!

Garry that's scary stuff about your client nearly hooking you.

I think a little common sense goes a long way.. there are times when JP and I are both casting with 8'6" rods on a shorter (17') boat. I've never felt concerned and I doubt he has either about something bad happenign. Just be aware and you won't have any issues IMO.

I started out using rods from 6'9" to 7'6" but after trying the longer types, I won't go back.

thanks guys, i ordered 2 custom rods, both 8 foot med heavy fast tip

1 for me and 1 for my dad for fathers day

both st croix

cool idea for father's day. Did you add anything or is it one of the rod builds with preselected components?

There are some good prices on the website. He can't be making very much on each rod.

I throw Bucktails and spinnerbaits with a 1/2 to 2 1/2 ounce 7'2" StCroix and fish Jerkbaits /Gliders with a stiffer 6'3" or 7 foot rod.

I have 8 foot and 9 foot Steelhead casting rods. They are great for fishing from a pier or from shore but are too long for boat fishing.

I think you will find that 8 ft Musky rods are heavy, and tiring to use.

The tip will hit the water every time your bait gets close to the boat and they will make netting awkward.

At the end of the day, any gain in casting distance will be of little or no real value.

These opinions are based on fishing Kawartha size lakes from 16' to 18.5' boats, and casting 8" bucktails, one ounce spinnerbaits and 10" Sledge type baits...

BUT, these are just my opinions.

I think you will find that 8 ft Musky rods are heavy, and tiring to use.

my experience has been different although i throw bigger blade baits.

yes, they might be slightly heavier but the effort needed to cast and figure 8 all day is reduced with a longer rod. they load up nicely and fling out the baits with ease whereas with a shorter rod, you have to muscle the casts. my back isn't what it used to be either and figure 8s are much easier with a long rod (ie. no bending over)

just my opinion as well. :)