stream steelhead/browns

wolfmachine

hey trout guys,

after my recent attempt to hook into some bigger stream trout i was left with only some fishies as big as my hand.

there aren't really big headwater streams around hamilton like there are above toronto though....

should i continue my search futhur up whitemans creek? more towards paris/cambridge way? or go somewhere near credit or bronte?

would really like some input

thanks

There's some big browns in Whiteman's, you just have to dig for them. They're pretty wary seeing how much pressure it gets.

Credit gets a ton of stocking and has alot of fish above Norval.

The Grand below Fergus also gets alot of stocking and is full of fish, check the regs for special bait exceptions.

Those are pretty much your best shots around Hamilton.

I second the Grand around the Fergus area. As previously mentioned most of the river in that area is subject to several restrictions (no live bait, single barbless hooks, catch and release only) but don't let that discourage you. The special regs lead to more fish in the water so if you don't mind C & R give it a try.

I really wish more rivers would designate regs similar to the Grand and Credit, it's undoubtedly great for the fishery. It doesn't have to be the entire river just a few key sections would make a difference.