Is this legit?

anders

My dad is looking for a new boat and he came across this. I have seen this lots when i did search. I was curious, with all the scams out there....does this seem legit to you? I really seem to think it is, just trying to be a little cautious for my old man.

thanks

http://stcatharines.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehic...QAdIdZ125741864

Edited by anders

I would take caution with that.. you can always call for the VIN tell him you want to check how much insurance is going to cost you, and then get the police to run the vin for you to make sure its not stolen..

also.. one red flag..

Address: Liberty, Bowmanville, ON, L1C View map

Date Listed: 05-May-09

is it in St.Catherines.... Or Bowmanville??? Why do they have both locations listed?

I would take caution with that.. you can always call for the VIN tell him you want to check how much insurance is going to cost you, and then get the police to run the vin for you to make sure its not stolen..

also.. one red flag..

Address: Liberty, Bowmanville, ON, L1C View map

Date Listed: 05-May-09

is it in St.Catherines.... Or Bowmanville??? Why do they have both locations listed?

Yes run the vin, but a lot of people run ads in town where they do not live trying to sell their stuff. It seems like a legit ad IMHO. Close enough to go and see it.

The link isn't working anymore. Just me?

EDIT: Nevermind...figured it out.

To me, it doesn't show any signs of being a scam, besides what bassboy said about the registration number.

Usually the scam ads feature bad spelling and grammar, and most importantly, a negotiable price. If this boat was hot, or whatever, he would take what he could get to sell it fast, and not have a 'FIRM" price.

Edited by ADB

Ask to come by and see the boat (it's not as if it's in Edmonton). If you don't get a response or the seller waffles.....scam. Not all scammers are Nigerian.

I'd drive a hard bargain though, with the ID # and obvious saltwater kit (motor, galvanized trailer) it's probably a US boat somebody brought up to flip, and salt wears out expensive motor bits much faster than freshwater.

Awsome....thanks guys...i was a little leary as well about the st.catherines and bowmanville thing. If he does go through with it, i will make sure he exhuasts all possible senarios.

One thing I have noticed lots with Kijiji is that if the add is bogus, usually its taken off with in a day !

Also, I live in Chatham, when I check the "Chatham-Kent" kijiji site, I get lots of adds from London, Sarnia, Windsor, etc.

I think they take a radius around the area you are looking and include all the adds in that area.

One thing I question is.... Why would a person go out and spend ALLL that money on extras for the boat... plus spend a whack load on the boat.... and never use them/install them ??? hmmm

There are to many ???? with this add.... to good to be true ? usually is !

It's worth a check on the VIN but the price seems right in line to me,,,,perhaps even a little high for todays market.

There are ALOT of people in Bowmanville, St. Catherines and all over that are out of work these days and there are great deals to be had on non-essential items like boats, cars, campers, atv's etc......if you have cash, you can get some great buys right now. It's an unfortunate reallity of the economic downturn.

RR