mountsberg question

bassmaster4

I am thinking about going there for some pike this weekend but i'm wondering if it is worth the trip. I will be fishing from shore, i heard the weeds are pretty bad this time of year and will most likely be casting x-raps and spinnerbaits, is the lake fishable from shore or will i be pulling in weeds the whole time? Has anyone been there recently and fished from shore? How is it?

Before you go check that it's open for fishing. I know some of those conservation areas don't open for fishing until the end of June. I'm just not sure which ones, so make sure you check it out before wasting your gas.

Mountsberg is open and has been since opener for Pike. Shorefishing is easier now than later in the summer due to the weeds. The lake is a little high now, the shoreline is flooded a little so wear appropriate footwear. Walking in a few yards is your best bet and fishing the boatlaunch is prolly your best starting point. Good luck and don't forget to pay for launching/parking even if you don't bring a boat. The ticket you will get is large. Read the conservation sign where you put your pay envelope. Enjoy your day. B)

We'll be hitting the area this thursday. the water is higher than ive seen it in the past like was mentioned. we were there a couple of weekends ago in the rain and the cold wind and got 3-4 pike and a few OOS largemouth. make sure you dont go onto the railway tracks...its private property.

ryan

The launch is a muddy mess and the grade is very shallow. Unless you have a light enough boat that you can push off the trailer and winch it back on from the waters edge, you'll be in the water with both wheels covered to launch. Getting back out will require a serious 4X4.

aint that the truth!!

me and my buddy were there a couple of weekends ago, with the rain/mud that there was we ended up carrying the boat back up the hill instead of risking driving the van down and not making it back up. boy was that fun in torrents of rain!