Got some nice bass yesterday

limeyangler

Hi all,

After finally sorting out my trolling motor (the barstewards sold me a dud first time round and I drove to Winnipeg (4hrs with a screaming baby.....to pick up the replacement...would have taken 3 weeks otherwise) I got out in the boat again.

Went back to where we had some good walleye last week. I’ve said it before....i like company when fishing, but sometimes being on your own is bliss too...today being on my own was just what the doc ordered.

BLISS, DID NOT SEE ANOTHER BOAT ALL AFTERNOON......

I was going for walleye, was raging my Beetlespin with minnow around the shallow river/creek that connects this smaller lake to the main lake Wabigoon. I got 2 very walleye like bites but failed to set the hook on both.

With the wind down the Autopilot on my new Terrova was really awesome, it allowed me to concentrate on fishing more than steering, and i found myself casting a lot more than i normally do.

I was flipping the jig at the shoreline leading up to the bay where we hammered the walleye and crappie last week. This shoreline is awesome for bass, but i thought it was too early....until................

NICE 16" SMALLIE (actually not the 1st of the season, i got a couple 2 weeks ago...lol...i forgot)

THINKING I WOULD NOT GET ANOTHER THAT DAY I WAS QUICK TO GET THE TOURNEY SIGN OUT....LOL

bass4.jpg

It did not take more than 5 or 6 casts before i hooked into the second one, this one felt t much better, could tell it was a bass straight away, and a better one too. I had to decide whether i should grab the camera and risk it getting off, but the urge to film got the better of me....lol....though i did lose a couple today doing that.

MUCH BETTER, 19" , !

MORE FOR INCHES FOR TEAM 3#

bass7.jpg

The bite died down after that one, so i took the opportunity to get acquainted with the new motor.

I was finding that using the variable dial control on the foot pedal to adjust speed whilst using autopilot was much better than using the Co-pilot speed control, which increases speed in pre-set increments.

I also hooked up my fishfinder to the Universal Sonar in the motor, i had heard mixed reviews of the sonar ....but it worked perfectly with my unit, now i have to buy another fishfinder....lol.

LOVIN' MY NEW TERROVA, SONAR EVEN WORKS!!!!

bass8.jpg

After messing around with the motor i set it to troll along a nice straight stretch of shoreline. The bite was slow to pick up, but i hit a little bay like piece of structure on the shoreline which was holding a lot of bass in a small area. I got three, and missed two, that will teach me to try and film....lol...so i did mostly still shots after that, get them in the boat first....lol.

3 MORE SMALLIES, ONE RIGHT ON 18"

bass11.jpg

bass6.jpg

The rain started to hammer down shortly after catching those 3, and once it stopped, so did the bite.

I trolled around searching different locations and only came up with a few snot rockets like this one.

I also filmed a random critter searching the shoreline. I have no idea what it was, was not a beaver as it had a fluffy tail and not the flat beaver tail...any ideas?

ONLY GOT A FEW MORE SNOT ROCKETS LIKE THIS GUY

bass12.jpg

ANY IDEAS WHAT THIS RANDOM CREATURE IS

I was gonna try the main lake for some walters, but a storm was moving in, glad i took off when i did, cuz literally seconds after getting the boat on the trailer, the mother of all thunderstorms hit.

Great few hours on the lake, nice the bass are around.

Nice report, 5 more weeks til bass season

I also have a video camera I try to take fishing, do you or any one else use a tripod while fishing setting it up to video when the big one hits, I plan on trying this a bit this year when fishing a couple lakes by myself. Taking my 3 yr old grand daughter out in the boat next week for the 1st time and might try it.

Richard

Nice report!

As for the animal.., Looks more like a Fisher.. It moves to fast in the video to be a groundhog. Its from the weasle family and the only animal that is not affected by Porcupine Quills.. We have them around here.. Seen them a few times, and shortly after it got one of our cats.. Household cats, are one of its main prey in residential areas.. Even known to kill small dogs.

fisher1.jpg

Edited by Miller Photo

THe MNR had a stuffed fisher at the fair, its legs were longer and it had a bushy tail like a fox. The only one Ive seen was on the run ahead of my snowplow and they resemble a huge squirrel or cat when they run with that big tail.

I'll get him next time.

Caught a mill of those things in mile and trap and it is senor nor pike

OOS bass don't think so---mr. limey lives with the chosen frozen AND bass is open all year

Bushart

I know the seasons open for him 5 more weeks before I will be fishing for them not lucky enough to be able to get any where there open til then likely

Richard

OOS bass don't think so---mr. limey lives with the chosen frozen AND bass is open all year

Bushart

Was talkin' aboot that OOS mucksie he caught in the pic I quoted!!!

... as far as Bass go, there shouldn't be any closed season and/or limits on them anywhere!!!... they're a disgusting species that mess up my Crappie rigs!!! :angry: ... dang "Green Trout"!!!

Simon!... I'm getting pretty disgusted with these "look at all these beautiful fish" reports you've been doing lately!!! :angry:

... I can't help it if your fish are starving from a lack of food all winter and now feeding like stout fellow's at an all you can eat buffet!!!... one more report out of you Big Boy... and you'll be on my "Hit List"!!! ;)

:w00t:

Was talkin' aboot that OOS mucksie he caught in the pic I quoted!!!

... as far as Bass go, there shouldn't be any closed season and/or limits on them anywhere!!!... they're a disgusting species that mess up my Crappie rigs!!! :angry: ... dang "Green Trout"!!!

Simon!... I'm getting pretty disgusted with these "look at all these beautiful fish" reports you've been doing lately!!! :angry:

... I can't help it if your fish are starving from a lack of food all winter and now feeding like stout fellow's at an all you can eat buffet!!!... one more report out of you Big Boy... and you'll be on my "Hit List"!!! ;)

:w00t:

I'm tellin ya dog thats a northern--I caught yer quote

I'm tellin ya dog thats a northern--I caught yer quote

I know it's a Pike, it just seems that whenever someone posts a pic of a Pike with the vertical or semi vertical markings... someone else always pipes up and says it might be a Musky... I thought I'd be the first one this time! ;)

Plus I wanted to harass Simon a little bit because I'm jealous as hell!!!