dipsy diver users!

wolfmachine

when setting up dipsy's and downriggers do you put your dipsy's out first? so that they are away from teh boat?

i ended up tangling both of my dipsy lines together tonight somehow and man was it ever a mess.

i thnk i need to set those lines out first then man down the riggers. my boat isn't very large, a 16 foot aluminum .

i always run them on a 3 setting too, to help with the spread.

also, is braided line absolutely necessary? i know mono will stretch but my yellow bird planer boards dont like to hold onto my braided line on the rrelease for some dam reason

thanks

did you have the 3 settings set for the right side? If you set them the wrong way I could see them crossing each other maybe?

I usually do the riggers first, but I have no reason why....... LOL.

Sinker

when you set the divers make sure you set them so they move away from the boat. You have to actually turn the weight toward the boat so it will pull away from the boat. Don't know if that makes sense. As long as you are going in a straight line while setting up you stuff I don't see why there should be a problem. I too would set riggers first though just to be sure.

Were you running the dispy's out on the same side of the boat? If you were they need to be at different settings and you should start with the one set highest as it will require the longest lead to hit the same depth.

Here is the "Tech Report" from the Luhr Jensen website. It has a pretty good illustration of what cudz was saying about turning the weight towards the boat as well as the depth chart for a couple of sizes.

http://www.luhrjensen.com/downloads/tech-r...2DipsyDiver.pdf

They call'em greasers for a reason...........don't bbq them unless wrapped in foil or planked, wouldn't believe the fat that renders out of them.

Pretty sure you can upgrade the releases to Offshores that grip braid, probably cheaper than respooling.

as denisk said let your dipsy stream out under drag. if you let it drop too fast they can flip over and start plaining the other way and meet the copper line in the middle (thats a mess). i drop my dipsy first and while thats going out i set my rigger.

as for what setting it depends on the situation. at dawn while the fish are active i will have it on setting one. trying to keep my spread tight together to create as much action noise as possible to draw the fish in. then as the day gets later i will drift them out on 3 as the fish get spooky.

it's just practice

on a 6 rod spread i have run 2 riggers, 2 wire divers deep on 1, 2 braid divers out on 3 running high. i have a 18 alaskan and it's not really different in beam then your boat

as for slipping braid in the boards try wrapping the line double in the release or half hitching a elastic on the line then around the release

Edited by dwc67

When I run divers I do it off the transom, always in a straight line. downriggers with extensions off each side, 2 more in the aft corners. Everything runs straight out and there have never been tangles. Beam is 12' so with the booms extended, the spread on my baits is probably around 20'

Yellow bird board suck...

get offshores or Church boards

if you get offshore boards and you're gonna run braid, upgrade to the OR18 front clip

Dipsy's can be braid, mono or wire...

if you're using braid, put some mono on as a shock absorber

if you're using mono, check your release so that it's not too tight, reeling in an untripped dipsy sucks

if you're using wire, use a snubber

dipsy to lure leads should be max. the length of your rod (makes landing easier)

use the clicker and loosen drag when letting dipsy out then tighten the drag back up...

as for deploying stuff out...

furthest back and shallowest out first ( furthest away from boat) (lead core/cores)

then work your way in (dipsy/dipsys)

least back and deepest last (closest to the boat) (riggers)

I like to keep the chute (back of the boat)open, makes landing fish easier steer the boat so that the fish comes up the middle

start off setting less lines until you're comfortable and fluent/efficient at it...

then start running more lines out...

just because you can have 4+ lines out, doesn't mean you have to...

again, start off setting less lines until you're comfortable and fluent/efficient at it...

then start running more lines out...

boat control plays a huge issue when deploying... keep'er straight until all lines are out...

also getting out with someone who know's what they're doing will also quickly speed up the learning curve

running 8 lines is acutally pretty easy once you get used to it...

Here's a simple 8 rod spread ( this is somewhat easily achievable on a smaller boat...)

2 off the planer boards

2 braid dipsys

2 wire dipsys

2 downriggers