Costco Marine Batteries

My starting battery for the pontoon boat has finally died and I need a replacement...I was at Costco this morning and saw one of their Kirkland Starting/Deep Cycle batteries for $94.00...

The battery I had was rated for 625 Cranking Amps and the Costco one is rated for 840 and seems to be longer in size...

Any comments??

Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think you need a deep cycle battery as your starter, that would perhaps explain the differences you were mentioning. I also don't think the alternator in your motor was designed for charging a deep cycle battery. I would just get a regular marine starting battery, keep it charged when in storage and you should have no problem for the next 10 years.

Depends on what you are using it for, I'd stick to a deep cycle for trolling motors and the like and a marine starting battery for the engine. I don't think there is a whole lot of difference b/n batteries. As for AC/Delco manufacturing the Costco batteries, I doubt it, it's probably EXIDE who I believe is one of the bigger manufacturers out there.

I worked in the GM battery plant Oshawa and that was sold to Johnson Controls (interstate) 5 years ago.

I will look at them a little closer some day.

We made batteries for every after market retail outfit cosco sears ctc and I can tell you the were just as good as our delco's. The cheapest piece of junk we made was for $80,000 Lexus and they forced us to make junk.

You do need a deep cycle cranking battery to start outboards car battery will just crapout on you.

Garnet