Digi camera question

troutologist

Hey folks I recently picked up a digital camera, finally got sick of seeing my pics months after when they got developed.

Anyhow I find the cold weather effects the performance (read: doesnt turn on) Anyone have any tips to keep things running smoothly in colder weather. Last weekend I tried keeping it in an inner pocket but it still success was minimal. thanks for any help

Edited by troutologist

When out on the atv icefishing I keep mine on a strap around my neck and inside my floater suit. When I want to take a picture I just wait a few seconds for the lense to aclimatize to the cold air ( no moisture on lense ) - have had no problems at all and the batteries seem to last a lot longer to.

Hope this helps

Don

I was taking picture out doors in -23 temps for about 1/2hr and I had the flash off. The batteries die after 15minutes or so because of the cold and the camera shut down. I stuck the batteries into my pockets and pulled out a warm set and newly charged and it worked fine15 mins later that died too. Got all the pics I needed and headed indoors.

Went indoors and took the camera out of my pocket and sure enough the lens fogged up with condensation. The place I was taking pic indoors was heated. Took a soft clean tissue and gently whipped the lens off of its moisture and fogged up again but with less condensation. Before you could see the droplets forming on the lens.

But I still had to wait for the lens to warm up. Took like 5-10 mins to warm up before it stopped fogging and was good to go again. So now I take with me tissue tht hasn't been folded or crumbled manytimes. Cause the more the tissue is folded the more the fibres of the tissue break apart and create more dust when you whip the lens. So I try to keep it straight as possible. And only whip the lens once or twice on a single area of the tissue then change to a clean surface or the tissue will create dust on the lens.

dsn

I hang it around my neck and keep it inside my coat until it's time for a pic. I dont have a problem doing it this way. The batteries you use are VERY important. I'm not sure what kind of camera you have, but alkalines will not last at all in the cold. Lithium Ion will work better, but cold affects all types of batteries. There are some things on your camera that may help too.....you can turn off the display when taking a pic (have to use the viewfinder like a regular camera). If the shot is during the day, make sure the sun is behind you when taking the pic, the flash may not need to go off if the subject is lighted properly.

Good luck!!!

All great suggestions! Battery issues with cameras have been around a lot longer than digital cameras! Lithium Ion batteries generally hold up the best in extreme cold and NiMH the worst as far as rechargeables go. Keeping a spare set of batteries close to your body is helpful! If your camera takes AA sized batteries buy a set of Lithium batteries, they're expensive but will get the job done for you under those conditions! If you are using NiMH rechargeables make sure that you charge them fully as close to the time that you're going out as possible. If you have had them sitting around for a bit they do drain pretty quickly just on the shelf. Hope that this helps!

Cheers,

Dave