Not Quite a Kite

Clampet

As promised, I am posting my results of my super lightweight wind shelter as an alternative to expensive portable Ice huts.

I discovered through this initial test that I need to make some slight modifications.

My first problem was the ice thickness.

It was only 5 inches. I was counting on 9-11 inches. This makes for poor support of the poles.

My second problem was the hole diameter of 6 inches made with my auger.

I thought that by tamping the poles tight with snow and slush, they would be snug.

Didn't happen. This caused the poles to lean at a sharp angle.

Solution is to purchase a drill with a diameter slightly larger than the poles. This should ensure a tighter, hence snugger fit, hopefully reducing the forward cant of the tarp.

THE GOOD NEWS

My wind shelter held up in brisk winds.

It did not morph into a kite.

I was not observed running down the Lake yelling, "Stop, stop, come back, puff, puff ,... groan"!

As evidenced by the thermometer, I was enjoying +20C.

Plus 20C, in the sun, out of the wind. Isn't that something!

Out of the sun, the temp was -11 C.

But no wind chill...Hooray!

I also caught 35 Perch, all much larger than my last outing.

I will be investing in an electric knife to keep Jethro at bay and make the job of filleting

those Perch a little easier.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are the pics:

The arrival.

This is the scene that greeted me prior to getting on the lake:

Innisfil001.jpg

The leaning tower of, well you know...

Innisfil006.jpg

And from a different angle

Notice the water on the ice, due to the weight of the snow...

Innisfil002.jpg

The Thermometer is looking good!

Innisfil003.jpg

The purpose of all this-->

Innisfil005.jpg

Innisfil_001.jpg

Thats colddddd! Nice perch, thanks for sharing.

That's what I was thinkin'!!!

You done good Clampet! She may not have morphed into a kite... but it looks like she wanted to... real bad!!!

Congratulations on the Perch feast and keeping comfortable in the frozen wasteland!!!

Hey Clampet,if you put that center pole on the inside of the tarp and set it up a bit like a Vee it probably wouldn't catch as much wind.

Kerry

That's what we did a few years ago and it worked great. The idea of the paint poles is excellent. We used dowling which was fine but not very portable. We also use a hand drill with a large bit so the poles fit snug but still had a bit of play so you could wiggle them out at the end of the day.

Ok, Im back after a short trip to the BOQ. Unfortunately only one little perch was caught between three of us!! <_<

I took along my 5 year old son, so the four hours or so on the ice was enough for him.

I brought along my new wind break which was built out of 3 wooden broom handles, a 9 x 12 tarp, 8 cable ties, and a half roll of duct tape.

I used a cordless drill with a 1" spade bit and drilled three 4 inch or so holes.

The set up worked really well, if i were to change anything on it it would have to be the height. It was about 2 to 3 inches to short. Im 6'4 so when I sit on the chair my head is an inch or so over the top and catches the wind. Other than that it worked great.

To transport it I just roll it up and bungee it onto the sled with everything else.

And here are the pics.....

icefishing003.jpg

icefishing001.jpg

icefishing002.jpg

Pure ingenius! Congrats!! Like Kerry says, have the middle pole on the inside so's the wind pushes the tarp against it rather than away from it. Takes a real outdoorsperson to go forth with a piece of tarp and a vision...... which you did, and you SURVIVED!!!! Keep the ideas a comin'!