Where to find a compression tester for a 86 9.9 Johnson?

Hi all,

I want to give my motor (1986 9.9HP Johnson) a nice checkup and have just received my TinyTach in the mail. I want to also check compression, but am not wanting to waste time in getting the wrong one. Can I find a decent one at Princess Auto or Crappy Tire? I know that outboards sometimes have a weird size plug (different from cars), so if anyone has one for a small Johnson, could you steer me to a place to pick one up?

Many thanks,

Mark

Canadian tire they have threaded adaptors in different sizes included dont get press fit rubber

The one I posted has the threaded adapters as well as the press fit rubber and should fit any engine.

They also have a kit with only the threaded adapters that you can purchase and return if the adapters don't fit.

1986 9.9 Johnson Compression test ????

That motor is not even broken in yet...Should be good for a Million hours before a compression test is required

:canadian:

All true especially if he is the original owner and knows it's history.

There are many things that could affect compression including a cracked reed valve, cylinder scoring from wrong fuel mixture or overheating.

A simple compression check will let him know if all is ok. Peace of mind is worth $50, no?