Pike Opener...

So my buddy comes up last night (Friday), we're having a few beers and realize that it's suppose to start raining by 9:00-9:30AM. So we make a plan to launch for 5:30AM to get a few solid hours in.

We were anxious to get on the water and test out my friend's "new" tin boat with a 9.9 - Quite the upgrade from the zodiac w/ 2.5hp we used all last summer. With some minor issues, it was a good buy. A small leak in the boat but it's fixable & overall it held up well.

Our destination today was Little Lake in Barrie, it's only a few min drive and the most likely place to avoid getting skunked albeit smaller fish.

All together today was my best outing yet (just started fishing last summer). I landed 10 fish - 8 pike and 2 accidental bass (including my personal best, just shy of 5lbs). Felt great to start the season off with a bang. Even though we were soaken wet, it was so hard to call it a day.

FYI- Proud to say that all fish had healthy releases.

The biggest pike of the day was 5lbs but built solid:

pike3h.jpg

The surprise catch of the day & PB:

bass.jpg

Edited by Governator

good lookin fish!

i also agree that out of season fish do not count... bass this time of year are very agressive do to the fact that they are protecting a nest. anything that comes neer the nest gets hit... dosent matter size, colour or shape. they are pretty much suicidal this time of year!!

we also try not to take the Bass out of the water and get them on there way as soon as posible (usally under 20 seconds from hookset to release). reason for that is the minute a bass leaves the nest the panfish/gobies/ anything else can and will take advantge and gorge themselves on the eggs and fry... but there is no way to stop the bass from hitting this time of year and the best you can do is to get them on there way as soon as posible, even without pics...

Edited by pikeie

Well thanks everyone here for being understanding. I didn't think this post would cause such a controversy so quickly (OOS thread) and I feel like I need to save face.

The bass were obviously complete accidents, the lake has them and sometimes you can't avoid them. Both were caught in completely different areas of the lake. The first one was smaller and it was a real quick release, infact it's on video but I don't feel I need to prove this to anyone (however if needed, I will post it). I had a total blast yesterday, catching 8 pike in a day was double what I had done before so I was on a high regardless. If I'm going to post a report, it's going to include the truth of what I caught because that's what a good report does. I'm not advocating catching OOS fish by posting a pic but I do see the controversy. So please forgive me for wanting a pic of the first ever 5lber I ever felt on my line. In the future if something like this comes up, I'll avoid posting my memories.

Edited by Governator

Post your pictures and don't worry about it. In any given group, you'll find those few who, whatever you do, you've done wrong. Nothing wrong with taking a picture and posting it. Be proud and display. The fish was an accidental and went back to the lake. No problem. Don't let the Taleban of fishing bother you. For each one of these guys that will find fault, there are a dozen of us that will enjoy your shots. Enjoy!!

Nice looking PB there I see your buddy snapped the pic just after you took the hook I can also see that you were caught off guard when getting ready to release it back nice of them to snap a memory for you B)

I would not worry about a quick pic and get it back Cheers and at least you got out.

Nice looking PB there I see your buddy snapped the pic just after you took the hook I can also see that you were caught off guard when getting ready to release it back nice of them to snap a memory for you B)

I would not worry about a quick pic and get it back Cheers and at least you got out.

Thanks lol... we weren't planning on staying out through the rain but I was having too much fun. Look at my pants in the first pic, you'll see just how wet I was but not caring at all lol.

Edited by Governator

OOS fish don't count for PB's lol. ;)

OOS fish count like half as much as they would if they were in season. ;)

If you really want to catch a worthless fish, catch one while trolling!!!

Any fish!... no matter the species, aint worth a pinch of Possum poop if ya catch it while trolling!!! :w00t:

Real nice report and pics Governator! :Gonefishing::thumbsup_anim:

Sounds like a great morning of fishing!!!

What did you catch them on?

OOS fish count like half as much as they would if they were in season. ;)

If you really want to catch a worthless fish, catch one while trolling!!!

Any fish!... no matter the species, aint worth a pinch of Possum poop if ya catch it while trolling!!! :w00t:

Real nice report and pics Governator! :Gonefishing::thumbsup_anim:

Sounds like a great morning of fishing!!!

What did you catch them on?

Thanks! Well I started with a smaller white & red 3/16oz spinnerbait (bleeding bait). I caught a few and switched things up but nothing else was producing over the next hour so I went back to that spinner and caught every single fish on it lol!! It was an easy day and my new rod/reel held up well (7' MH with Abu Garcia). I was also using braid & flourocarbon for the first time. What a great combo.

Congrats on poaching your new Large mouth PB...... hopefully it's nest wasn't cleared out while you were posing with your "PB" ;)

A little too early for nests right now. They're currently in pre-spawn, feeding aggressively prior to the spawn. Nest-raiding begins in June.

depends on the lake and the water temp.. once the water temp hits around 60 degrees fahrenheit its time to spawn!! where we were fishing on simcoe the water temp was anywhere from 60 to 64 degrees. little lake warms up even faster due to its size...

Congrats on poaching your new Large mouth PB...... hopefully it's nest wasn't cleared out while you were posing with your "PB" ;)

He already said it was a suprise as he was fishing for Pike.... If you don't like it just go read another thread. no need to be an :asshat: