Red hill valley Creek

TerryC

Has anyone besides me spent countless hours walking the banks of the new Red Hill seaching for a steelhead this spring. I have not found even one yet, a few chinnys in the fall but not one Trout this spring. There is some great holes and easy runs all the way to Kings forest (golf course) and I have searched every pool.

I am not looking for somewhere to fish, even if there were a few in there, I wouldn't bother them. The creek just looks like it has lots of potential and I was hoping someone saw atleast one in there.

I would hate to think they put all that work into the creek and all it would handle is suckers.

Just Curious

Clarence

Well it may not be enough to cause opening day chaos but I did see one steelie a week before opener while out for a walk with my dog. For the record it was in a shallow pool just below Queenston, I'm sure it's long gone (due to loneliness). ;)

As kids, we used to collect the red clay along the banks of Redhill Creek to make clay projects for school and such. My favorite was making dinosaur figures. lol

Also use to hunt for salamanders and and garter snakes in the valley.

Man, that was a long time ago...

Anyhoo, just hearing about the one steelhead from Spiel and some salmon in the fall makes me feel like the creek has some hope. Hey, I'd even take suckers!

When I drive by the Redhill Expressway, I see a lot of 'fishy' looking areas that, if it was any other stream located in any other area, could hold fish. But for now, I wouldn't spend much time on the creek as a fishing destination.

I use to fish it for salmon before they put the highway in. It had a decent run for the creek size but ever since that I haven't seen any decent salmon runs only 2-3 dead ones. Don't expect too much from there.

I'm sure it wouldn't be great for natural reproduction as there is very little in the way of stone or gravel in the creek, but there is some good deep holes. They designed the creek with spawning migratory fish in mind from what I have heard.

I was hopeful that a few may find there way up there each spring, somehow the Chinooks make it up there in the fall and I am fairly sure that they didn't originate (hatch) from the Creek.

Clarence