Northbound Train - get dropped off to fish?

lhousesoccer

I seem to remember hearing stories or reading about fishing trips people would take where they literally get on a freight train heading north, or maybe it was a special VIA train that added boxcars. Your canoes, packs and gear went into the boxcar, you told the conductor or showed him on a topo map what lake you wanted let off at, and at the designated spot, the train would stop, you unload, and you're alone in the bush miles and miles from any road for days. You tell the conductor that 4 or 5 days later, you'll be on the side of the tracks waiting, and sure enough, here comes the train back south, you load up and head for home.

Does anyone have any more specific information about this? Is this still available? I'm looking for a rather unique summer fishing trip that I want to plan, but one that might not cost an arm and a leg. When I remembered hearing about this, I thought it might fit the bill.

Pretty sure you want to look up Northland Express....I think the Little Bear still does that. Been a fantasy of mine for quite a while...good luck!

Okay...I wasn't exactly right, but, you should get a little further on THIS website

Edited by johnnyb

You just brought back some great memories of my grandfather and his brothers trips. They would do the train thing.Get dropped off, some where up north (I believe it was on the french river).They did it for I believe, 6 or 7 yrs. Heard some great stories.

Sometimes I get to my camp ( on leased CN land) that way. The train leaves Sudbury Wed, Fri and Sun, and comes back Tues, Thurs, and Saturday. I just tell them I want off at mileage 21.5. The conductor/engineers are pretty good and often manage to stop exactly at the trail to the camp.

You're limited on how much stuff you can bring...and you can't bring gas. I'm not sure about the canoe.

When did you want to go? If you want to get off at my place I could probably loan you a canoe. If you want to look it up it's in Robert's township at mileage 21.5 from the train station at Capreol. It's on the Vermillion river.

I did this last year , we jumped on the via in Folyete (west of Timmins) and it took us north to a camp in Elsas. It sure is an experience.The luggage car was full of canoes and gear,not what you expect to see !!!!!!

If you want some more info send me a PM

If anyone is considering a VIA train trip into Wabakimi from Armstrong this year, then be aware that the train sched has been turned upside down and I think it now drops off at 2am. Kinda a bad time to be put out in the wilderness with all your gear. I believe it is catering to the Americans who now get dropped from the US direction in the afternoon. Correct me if I am wrong.

Seems a little messed up that a Canuck train service gives Americans the preferred drop time?? But on the other hand, if there's a lot more of them than us doing it....

BTW if anyone is considering a wilderness paddle-fishing trip please let me know if you are looking for others.

All the trains mentioned offer this service.

The best in my opinion hasn't been mentioned, that's the VIA train that travels across the top of northern Ontario.

Twice I've portaged my gear and canoe through downtown Toronto and piled it into the trains boxcar. Quite a sight. :)

Another couple of times I drove to Armstrong on the tracks N/E of Thunder Bay and got on there.

They'll let you off anywhere you want then pick you up anywhere along the tracks. (you've got to flag down the train). The number of possible routes are endless and the fishing (especially north of Armstrong and Nakina) is spectacular.

It's definitely a fun trip to do, however it's not exactly cheap if you depart from southern Ontario.

If you drive to Armstrong for example then it's cheap.

I know that area like the back of my hand and if anyone's interested in route info I'd be happy to share.

Cheers