Steering

Flappn

Try taking it off and oiling it.

Hold it hanging and drip oil into one end and work it a bit.

Just a guess, I know nothing about these things, but it must get a bit wet, and its only a cable so it can't be that big a deal

What type of system do you have?

Old style pulleys or new rotary or rack and pinion?

My guess is one of the newer ones.

It is fairly easy to remove and replace the cable.

You need to remove the little bolt and nut at the end of the cable on the motor (port side) and loosen off the large nut on the cable (motor starboard side) Next slide the cable out of the motor. Under the dash the should be a pin that holds the cable into the helm. remove this and turn the steering so the cable backs out. Finally pull the cable out of the boat.

But before you do any of this there should be a grease zerk on the motors tilt tube. Hit it with the grease gun until a little bit of grease comes out of the cable seal on the port side of the motor. Work the steering back and forth several times to spread the lube. If this doesn't fix your issues purchase a new cable.

Edited by DRIFTER_016

dude, just replace the cable.....the reason it is binding up is corrosion. This means the braided strands are breaking down....if that cable breaks at full speed, you could die. The motor smahes to one side and you get tossed from the boat if you are lucky. Assuming you don't wear a kill switch, the boat will circle over and over again till it kills you. I googled horror stories about cables letting go under power. You simply don't want that.

spend the $200 and get a new cable.....I did mine last year in under an hour. Got it at port Credit Marina. Rack comes off with 4 bolts, hub comes out with 3 bolts.....a kid could do it.

Cheers

RR

I replaced one back in the 80's, length is critical when getting a replacement, too short is an obvious problem but as it is not very flexible you can't just coil up any extra, get the same size exactly. I remember I had to lift the engine, used a chain fall from the rafters of the garage, hope you have enough clearance to get the job done without this step.