Advice needed for my first boating season..

Hi all,

So, tomorrow I pick up my new (to me) boat and set it into the water. I've rented a small slip at a launch on our lake (our cottage is on an Island). The boat is an 80's 14' Springbok with a 9.9HP Johnson.

Help me out here, what do I need on board in order to stay legal and safe? I've got a small safety kit which I got for free with a mag subscription which includes a bailer, whistle, flashlight and rope. In addition to that, I've got 2 life jackets on board (I know about having 1 per person). What else do I need (I'll deal with nice to have's later on)?

Also, I'm new to this, will I have to provide my own lines for tying to the slip? I'm pretty sure my small boat has no cleats, so I guess I'm just tying to those braces between the gunwales and the seats?

As for motor oil, can someone recommend a particular brand? I'll likely pick up a few bottles of it and keep it in the truck.

Any other advice to a new boat owner is muchly appreciated!!

Best,

Mark

It only being a 9.9 ( unless its changed) i dont think you have to have one ...but for the sake of safety ...its good to have....youll need a paddle on board and floatable rope if one wasnt supplied in your little kit make sure batteries are installed into the floatable flashlight because it costs 110 bucks for this infraction...trust me ....make sure navagation lights are operational or in place

welcome to the demise of your savings account.lol....

worth every penny

It only being a 9.9 ( unless its changed) i dont think you have to have one ...but for the sake of safety ...its good to have....youll need a paddle on board and floatable rope if one wasnt supplied in your little kit make sure batteries are installed into the floatable flashlight because it costs 110 bucks for this infraction...trust me ....make sure navagation lights are operational or in place

welcome to the demise of your savings account.lol....

worth every penny

Yep, rope is there, flashlight is loaded with batteries, all is good on that end. The boat has no nav lights, I plan on putting some in, within the next few weeks, as I want to do some night fishing.

This is the link to Transport Canada's safe boating site. Click on the individual topics on the right hand side.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/marinesafety/debs/obs/menu.htm

I would suggest you use a good grade of synthetic oil marine oil.Mix it according to the mfg's directions, usually 50:1

Good luck and good boating.

John