Portable VHF

lew

I've been thinking of getting a portable radio for the boat just to keep handy for maybe some bad weather reports, but more importantly to possibly call for help if I break down somewhere and I can't get the cell to work.

I don't fish the Great Lakes at all so I'll never be a long ways from shore, but I do spend time on the Ottawa & St. Lawrence Rivers, Bay of Quinte and I also spend quite a bit of time on the West Arm of Nippissing which which can be pretty isolated at times.

I just want something small & portable that I can stick in the glove box for when it's needed, but I also don't want to spend several hundred dollars either. I see some for around $100-$150 and wondered if their any good for sending & receiving, or do I need to spend big $$$$ ??

I definetely don't want to install one of those huge antennas on the boat.

Any thoughts ??

Hey Lew...

with the handheld units, you won't get much range... the coast gaurd will get your signal, but other boats in the area might not...

handheld units are 1-5 Watts, fixed base arer 1-25 i believe...

after being stranded out on Erie a while back... we were unable to reach boats in the area (less then 10miles away) we could however communicate with coast gaurd Sarnia...

it's pretty much the same price for a cheaper fixed base unit compared to a handheld... they do have 3 foot amplified antennas also...

Couldnt have said it any better than Uncle Buck

I have both and very seldom turn on the handheld because of the battery consumption...6 batteries per day for listening ...if you use it to transmit double the consumption

Hi Lew:

ICOM makes good units.

Many integrate with a GPS so you can send and receive GPS positions with others or it will automatically broadcast your position and distress signal if you activate the distress button.

Price starts about about $150 CND for the unit plus $60 for an antenna.

Dan

What about a unit like this:

http://www.findmespot.ca/en/index.php?cid=1111

Regards,

Snowball

I plan to get one as I can be over 100 miles from civilization on my longer excusions.

I think it would be more usefull in areas where there is no other communication.

As said the portables don't have the range of perm. mount units because of the lower power and shorter antenna.

When I was fishing out of Port Credit my first radio was a portable 1/6 watt unit. It worked fine but I wanted better range so I bought a fixed unit.

Last spring I upgraded it to an ICOM IC-M304 and it is a great unit. Very small chassis and will connect to GPS.

And another plus is it's a really good looking radio. B)

http://www.icomamerica.com/en/products/mar...04/default.aspx

Here's a look at it mounted in my helms new face plate.

front.jpg

Lew,

stay away from portable VHF...do yourself a favor and get a fixed one. Goran has told you what happened couple years ago in the middle of Lake Erie while using his hand held.

Also....in areas where nothing works (like Algonquin or Temagami) my fixed Lowrance VHF unit was getting me weather forecast all the time.

So it is a smart investment.

Here is the one I'd recommend:

http://www.lowrance.com/en/Products/Marine...Radios/LVR-250/

Works great hear the US guys talking all the time on Erie and Ontario...and now it is connected to my new fishfinders so one push of a button in emergency it automatically sends my position coordinates to the Coast Guard.

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

Edited by icefisherman

Thanks Emile, if I do decide to go with a fixed mount unit, Lowrance will definetely be one I'll be looking at . I've already got 2 Lowrance sonars plus a GPS and am very satisfied with their products.

I was hoping to go with a portable because I just don't want to drill any holes in the new glass boat for an antenna, but I'll see what I come up with.

If I was to use a portable, I would still use a big antenna

you don't have to mount the antenna , if you are only going to use it in an emergency ..store it in the rod locker and drag it out when you want a tow in cause the motor died ...hopefully that will be meany many years down the road

Lew,

Others have beat me to it, I had a hand held on my boat and was fine for the weather updates and the coast gaurd but for actual communication with any other boats it was terrible. I probably had a better chance of getting help with my cell phone. As the others have said the fixed units are money better spent.

Terry, POLLIWOG & express 168, great ideas from all of you and something I never even considered before today.

Yes I do have rails, so I could go for the fixed mount radio for the better service, and then possibly just store the antenna for when it's needed.

There's a panel just below the guages on the right hand side of the steering wheel that may be for a VHF as the AM/FM is located in another spot and I'll have a look in there when I pick up the boat next week.

This may work out well after all.

Cnv0291.jpg

Edited by lew

If I was to use a portable, I would still use a big antenna

you don't have to mount the antenna , if you are only going to use it in an emergency ..

been in my boat eh Terry! lol

Nothing wrong with a portable and a full length antenna. Works as well as a fixed. Both have virtually the same power outputs, if not identical. Bonus with the portable... you can take it in the trailer lew and listen to the weather before heading out.

Emil.. I can listen to weather on my portable on Temagami..with the little rubber ducky antenna even.

Adapter is available from Durham Radio. Had a hard time finding it but thanks to Terry for the source. I have a 6' Antenna up in the bow. It's usually just tucked into the "life jacket" netting up there and receives just fine that way. If I really want to get "out" on it.. I stand it up in the corner.

8augb.jpg

I had a portable for Lake O and never had any problems with power.I was in the parking lot at Bronte harbour and was talking to BITEME who was at the mouth of the Oakville creek wich is about 3-4 miles away.It depends on quality too. .Buy a good Brand .Mine was a Cobra and was around the 165.00.Like others have said a bigger antenna would not hurt having.

Dan