Orillia Perch derby

jjcanoe

I might head up there next Sunday. It looks like the weather will be nice by then. My parents who live up by Ottawa go to that every year. They used to stay the entire duration, which is almost a month if you prefish. I might go for a vist/fishing lesson. I'm sure they have the most caught tags at that event (over the years) so I can definetely do some learning.

Edited by kennyman

I might head up next weekend, we'll see how it goes though.

Where do you launch from?

There is a free launch across from Tudhope Park and the Port of Orillia launch.

I've gone numerous years and never caught a tag, but I've seen several caught right from shore.

Edited by bigugli

Don't know yet there are a bunch of marinas in the area and a Provincial Park. I might go there with my park pass and avoid the crowds. All depending on wind and waves etc.

jjcanoe

Sorry jj but both Mara and Mcrae parks aren't open for use at this time.They don't open till Victoria Day weekend.If you are using a canoe or a tin tippy off a truck you could easily put in at the little parkette and ball diamond on Creighton St about an eight of a mile past the Drive thru Tim Horton's at the narrows.There is a parking lot and beach just no launch.That'll get you directly out where most are fishing without too much fuss.

Kerry

Port of Orillia launch

Stoty,you,ll have no issues launching there with your boat,and you will be at the narrows in no time with that machine.And a friendly reminder.10 km means 10 kms.They are stricked in that area and do run rader there.

Sorry jj but both Mara and Mcrae parks aren't open for use at this time.They don't open till Victoria Day weekend.If you are using a canoe or a tin tippy off a truck you could easily put in at the little parkette and ball diamond on Creighton St about an eight of a mile past the Drive thru Tim Horton's at the narrows.There is a parking lot and beach just no launch.That'll get you directly out where most are fishing without too much fuss.

Kerry

Thanks for the heads up on the parks, I need a launch for my boat so I'll be heading for the back of the line-ups when I roll into town! Now I just have to figure out where to pick up my derby tickets. Already paid for but I guess you need them in hand before you start fishing. Time to get the trusty road map out!

jjcanoe

Thanks for the heads up on the parks, I need a launch for my boat so I'll be heading for the back of the line-ups when I roll into town! Now I just have to figure out where to pick up my derby tickets. Already paid for but I guess you need them in hand before you start fishing. Time to get the trusty road map out!

jjcanoe

If you pre-paid and registered, you go to the derby HQ right on HWY#12 at Tudhope Park. This is also where you register your daily catch for the draws.

Just got back from 3 days fishin there, only 1 tag caught so far. It was caught Sat. We fished Sun. Mon. Tues. Were heading back up Mon. for 3 more days. We stay at the Hywayman Inn. There's 9 of us in 3 boats.

orillia20092.jpg

orillia20093.jpg

orillia20091.jpg

Edited by Fish Farmer

considering I have never fished that area before, can anyone help out with some shore spots for me and my 5-year old daughter? Not worried about getting a tagged fish, just her catching ANY fish. PM me if you don't want to post it, thanks!!!

Geoff

considering I have never fished that area before, can anyone help out with some shore spots for me and my 5-year old daughter? Not worried about getting a tagged fish, just her catching ANY fish. PM me if you don't want to post it, thanks!!!

Geoff

No problem! IF you pass Trombly's on hwy12 heading towards the narrows take a right at the Gill St lights and follow down to the Lankin Blvd canal on Simcoe.You can fish all along the one side of the canal.From there you can carry on towards the narrows and fish the canals on couchiching point at the Best Western turn off.Take a left at the lights and a right at Broadview Ave and the next two rights(mooney cres and dale dr)will get you to either side of the canal there. Pay attention to parking as they will ticket.Both canals have excellent fishing for perch and have coughed up tagged perch in the past.We were getting them up to 10inches this past weekend.You can also fish in behind the WildWings mall off the trail that ends at the narrows.To park there get your minnows at the Hook and Bow and they may let you park for free.You can walk in a short distance right behind their location.Also there are perch being caught at the town dock in Orillia at the end of the main street(Mississauga Street) Happy Perchin'

Kerry

Thanks Kerry! If I can get out with the young one next week I'll try those spots for sure, CHEERS!

We used to do well fishing off the cement pier opposite the statue (Champlain) in Couchiching Beach Park...

Edited by Beans

This post brings back lotsa great memories. :Gonefishing:

Back in the 50's & 60's my grandparents had a waterfront home on the west side of Simcoe about 1 mile south of the Narrows and my bro & I had a little 6' wooden punt with a 3HP motor (Evinrude I think) and we'd putt putt putt up to the Narrows every weekend in the spring for those perch and then bring em back for a huge feast.

Course we spent 1/2 the day just travelling up & back with that little 3HP :lol::lol: