A few hours on the pond

bigugli

Got out this morning for a little fishing and peace and quiet. had the pond all to myself until noon. Not a sniff for the first hour or so until the water warmed a little. Float fishing was a waste and settled on bottom rigs. With this NE wind everything seems to be hugging the bottom. 10 minutes after switching rigs I get that first tap,tap,tap, followed by 2 hours of steady action. There were perch, gills and rockies. There was also a few of:

DSCN2410.jpg

DSCN2409.jpg

DSCN2408.jpg

This fellow lost a fight with something (another rocky)

DSCN2407.jpg

Back home by 1 to meet my daughter from school and whip up a pot of scratch pea soup for tonight's supper.

Nice silver bass. Can we take them in this period or they are closed as pigs (small & large M basses)?

Silver/white bass and white perch are classed as panfish and open. They come from a different family of fish 'Morone'. Whereas what we normally call bass are sunfish in the 'Centrarchidae' family.

Great report dude, but what was that silver looking fish? Some kind of Crappie?

Thanks for sharing!

read the previous posts mike

great report bruce, thats quite a mix bag of fish. is the tail on the cat in the 3rd flat with the back? or just the way it appears in the picture?

Matt!

read the previous posts mike

great report bruce, thats quite a mix bag of fish. is the tail on the cat in the 3rd flat with the back? or just the way it appears in the picture?

Matt!

Once a bullhead sticks the fins out you cannot lay the head on it's side. It's just a deceptive appearance thingy.

Once a bullhead sticks the fins out you cannot lay the head on it's side. It's just a deceptive appearance thingy.

ok i wasnt sure i have never taken a picture of any of my cats before normally toss a few in a pail and the rest in the lake thought maybe it was a deformity like a 2 tailed bass or something! i say that cuz i caught one this past summer

Nice Morone americana in the first pic, looks real healthy!!!

The Crappie would've been a throw back here, 9" limit on most lakes and 10" min on others.

Those Bullheads fry up real nice if you've never tried them!!! :P

That crappie was just over 9". I've got big paws :P Anything less than the spread of my hands goes back. (except smelts)

Actually, I love eating coldwater cats this time of year. I just kept enough pannies (3) to give the puppies and I a decent brekkie tomorrow.

Really nice report and great photos!

Thx

About those silver basses (sometimes people call them blue basses). Last May - June on Grand (Caledonia) I got many of them. One was a big one (for that kind of fish) 550 – 600g. However, they almost did not bite in July – September.

Really nice report and great photos!

Thx

About those silver basses (sometimes people call them blue basses). Last May - June on Grand (Caledonia) I got many of them. One was a big one (for that kind of fish) 550 – 600g. However, they almost did not bite in July – September.

The silver/white bass only come up the river to spawn. By July they are back in L Erie. They are a schooling fish and if you suddenly see a big commotion on the surface, that will be a school chasing a bait ball to the surface. You can have a real blast casting into the middle of that.