Polarized Fishing Glasses

MCTFisher9120

I wear prescription eye glasses and i always have problems with clip on glasses for fishing with. I have been looking at sun glasses that go over my glasses on the BPS site. Just wondering if getting these would be a good idea, there are good reviews on the site but I wanted to see if I could get a bit more re insurance on this issue...also $$ is a factor so prescription polarized sun glasses is not a option at this time :( These glasses i have been looking at are called Cocoons Over-Glasses Sun Glasses. Any OFC Reviews?

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s...artNumber=97837

Edited by Mike The Bass Fisher

I have a pair of wrap arounds to put over my glasses. They aren't bad, but not as good a lens as my old prescription shades. One drawback when driving. There is a blind spot on either side of the frames so you have to turn your head to the side more to check your blind spot.

New script shades are out of my league as well. I paid $200 20years back. I was quoted $600+ last fall. :wallbash:

The scripted polarized were very good and far more durable than most sunglasses on the market.

My wife has a pair and she says they are great. We picked hers up at the eye care centre in the Wally World store. I know they weren't as expensive as the one's at BPS.

John

I have been tempted to order a pair of those over your glasses frames I saw advertised on TV for $29.95 plus S&H...You get a bonus clip to hang them on your sun visor...and a second pair for night driving...

It would cost me more than the price in gas to drive to BPS... :(

Unfortunately I didn't get the phone number...anyone ?

Edited by Beans

I just got new eye glasses with new perscription. I also updated my old perscription sunglasses for $179 and I'm sure you can find cheaper. If you have an old pair of glasses lying around, you should be able to get polarized perscription lenses in them relatively cheap.

Last year I found tinted safety glasses with a 2.00 bifocal reading lens. $4.00 each, got several pair. They are OK but not polarized.

Recently was at the Cottage Life show and came across sunglasses, polarized with a 2.00 bifocal. $20.00 each and I got 2 pair, they are very clear and cut the glare. The placement of the corrective lens isn't a problem.

are contacts not an option? that way you can use non-prescription polarized glasses.

Not possible for everybody.

Unfortunately, when it comes to glasses, some scripted lenses become very expensive. My first pair of lenses are covered at $400. The second pair is not, plus frame, plus polarization compatible to the lense.

i bought a pair of cocoons last summer. i was looking for something to wear over my glasses as well, tried on several cheaper pairs but i found the cocoons were the only ones that felt comfortable and didnt feel like they were about to fall off of my head. they're great. they are a little bulkier than normal sunglasses but nothing thats too big. my plan was to keep them for just fishing but i wear them all the time now. the arms/frame are a softer feeling rubber than most of the fitover glasses i saw and the arms are flexible and hold their shape so you can adjust the glasses to your face. i'd recommend them 100% after i got mine my father and mother both went out and got a pair...and my gf wants me to take her to get some too.

i was going to get mine at bass pro but i found that lebaron had them cheaper...by about 10 bucks. when i got there they were on sale too so i got mine for just under 30 bucks i think (basspro was 44.99 at the time)

hope this helps

ryan

just saw the post that mentioned bigger blind spots.... the cocoons have the small lens on the side by the temple area so the blindspots arent quite as big, they dont seem like you're looking down a tunnel.

Edited by SBCregal

I got a pair of polarized prescription Ray Bans this time around. I am hoping that they work well on the water. What I find when I wear them though is that my eyes sort of sting. I am not sure if it is whatever they put on them to polarize them or what (or it's just my imagination).

Jim

I'm with Seaweed.

I use fitovers as well. I have 3 pairs. One in the boat and one in the truck and car.

I think that you can get them for like 20-25$ at lebarons and in person at BassPro. I use the large size. After a long day on the water they can get uncomfortable on the nose but thats a compromise I'm willing to make for convenience and cost.

I don't think they work as well as real polarized len's in higher end products. But when you wear glasses these are a great choice.

The danger with wearing prescription sunglasses is eye damage. I kept getting headaches from my clip on polarized lenses and asked my optometrist why.

Modern lens styles tend to be very small. Putting a sun blocking device over just the lens causes the iris to open more. However the light coming in from the top, sides and bottom is still very much unfiltered...you get your iris opening and closing several times per second and are allowing alot of ultra-violet light into your eye.

Wear the big ugly wrap arounds to make sure you protect your eyes and minimize ultra violet exposure,

I have been wearing Aspex Eyewear Easy Clips for probably 6 years now. I think my last set of frames were under a $100 including the polarized clip-ons.

These are not your normal clips , the accessory sunglass lens fits extremely close to the perscription lens so that you or others are not aware that they are not just sunglasses.

This closeness causes the only downside in that if a drop of sweat from your brow gets into the tight space between the lenses if spreads to about the size of a quarter necessitating you dry them or suffer blurry vision in that eye , hope you understand what I am meaning.

Check them out here, it is the best solution I have found for aging eyesight/polarized lenses.

http://www.aspexeyewear.com/

I got a pair for Christmas. I love them. They are a bit heavy - wearing two pair of glasses but the lenses are good quality and the frame is meant to cut out glare that comes from the sides. There is also the drawback of wearing two pair of glasses with lessened ventilation on a hot humid day. You can get a cheaper pair from Walmart in the States I do not know if they are the same quality ( google fitovers and you will find cocoons and the walmart brand are made by the same company. I inquired at walmart in Canada they do not carry them).

Hope this helps

I bought a pair last month Mike I tried them out in the boat last weekend very comfortable and they kept the cold air out while full throttle.

I however just bought precription sunglasses and it cost alot of$$$$ when you are blind as me :wallbash:

I think you should buy them I picked mine up at CDN Tire for $25.00

I have been tempted to order a pair of those over your glasses frames I saw advertised on TV for $29.95 plus S&H...You get a bonus clip to hang them on your sun visor...and a second pair for night driving...

It would cost me more than the price in gas to drive to BPS... :(

Unfortunately I didn't get the phone number...anyone help ???

The ones ive seen on tv look pretty cheap and look to be made with cheaper hard plastic. I think by the time they get to you you could have bought a better pair somewhere locally, and have a chance to try them on to see how you like them.

I tried on a few pairs at BPS before I purchased the cocoons and they were the most comfortable/less bulky ones for me personally.

ryan