Help with FIRST tackle box

pmaloney

Hi Folks,

First post. I've been lurking for a couple days checking things out and this forum seems pretty good.

I'm new to fishing. I fished when I was a kid up at a rental cottage my family used to get for a couple weeks in August every year, but this was just worm on a hook hope to catch that small mouth kind of fishing.

I've got a boat now and two boys...9 and 4...and I'd like to start fishing with them.

I'll be fishing mostly in the Grand River between Caledonia and Brantford, Grand River in Dunnville to Lake Erie, Hamilton Harbour, and some smaller Norther lakes.

What should I get to put in my new tackle box? Limited budget, just looking to start a good tackle box the right way.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers,

Pat

Don't forget to add a couple of pickeral Rigs for perch, some Jig heads and Jigs for everything, main colours , white, and yellow. Throw some weights in there with a couple of different sized hooks, a big O, a little cleo, and you should be good to go for just about any type of fish!

Good Luck

( I started fishing a lot more when my boys were just about the age of yours! You will make a ton of memories and let me tell you the best moments for you will be out in that boat with nothing to do but catch fish and TALK to your kids...)

Jen

Welcome, and you've asked the million dollar question, well a few thousand bucks at least.

To start? Hooks, weights and some floats for the kids, and for you to. Jigs: various colours in 1/8, 1/4, 3/8 oz weights. Plastic bait bodies: grubs, worms, minnow (for the jigs, if you're not using bait on 'em).

Spoons and spinners are old standbys because they work, and the won't brake the bank. Maybe a few minnow type body baits and a crankbait or two.

I'd also want a few topwater baits because having a fish hit a surface lure is an amazing felling.

This is only the begining...

On a fishing show the other day the guy had a crayfish style lure he was doing quite well with, mostly bass but some other fish also were hitting it too. I'm going to pick a couple up and add them to the tackle box I'm in the process of stocking. Good Post!

This is basically what a $75-100 good beginner tackle box would look like:

Spinners: Mepps inline (whatever colour you like) and R-bend (white with a mr twister plastic on the hook) buzz baits/bucktails

Plain hooks in many sizes

Split Shot

Swivels

Spoons: Cleos, Williams Warbler (any colours), Red Devil, whatever else you like

CrankBaits: rapalas:huskey jerk, rattlin/clakin rap, DT/Countdown Raps (vary the colours, firetiger, naturals, blues, reds)

Jig heads: few different sizes and colours

You didnt really mention what you wanted to catch though?

I think that you will need a bunch of hooks and sinkers and then make sure you have a few good quality jigheads. Have a bunch weighing from 1/16 to 1/4 ounce.

Worms will definitely be the best way to start your kids off, and if they wanna upgrade to using plastics, I think it's time to bring on some tubes and gulp!

After that, maybe a couple of rapala countdowns, and maybe even a cotton cordel wally diver.

Oh yup, and for your children don't forget the floats. Children would find fishing so much easier if they started with floats. You should also have a variety of sizes, maybe 2 or 3 of each..(a few small ones, a few medium ones should suffice)

Gluck in getting your children to go fishing this year!

I agree with all the above posts...Just want to add my 2 cents in!~

If I had to pick one lure to catch all types of fish, it would be the inline spinner. Mepps, Blue Fox, Worden..etc.

You can fish at different depths and different speeds, they are a very versatile lure.

Jigs are also great, grubs and tubes in different sizes will catch all sorts of fish.

Casting lures like a floating Rapala, husky jerk, tail dancers are definately good choices. Just get a variety of lures and you should do well...Don't forget hooks, sinkers, and floats for the kids...I remember when I was a kid just staring at my float waiting for a fish to bite...It was good practice for crappie fishing now...:)

Kevin

Edited by Kevlar

Welcome to the board!

You have gotten some great suggestions for starter tackle, can't say that I would add anything to the tackle department. I offer a few suggestions for taking young kids fishing in a boat though.

Live bait. More than you need. Be this minnows and or worms. Our little one likes to play with the bait, especially when the fishing is slow or she feels that she has caught her limit

A bucket. Great to put a few minnows in for them to play with. If we are going to bring home a few pannies for the table, we allow her to play with one in the bucket..loves it. Our little one is a girl so the bucket can be used for other things as well :whistling:

Bubbles or something similar

Snacks

I hope you and your boys have lots of luck and create many lifelong memories.

Oh and jigs are awesome, especially for kids :)

Get a pack of Gary Yamamoto Senkos or Yum Dingers (5") Get either bait in the pink colour and look for some circle hooks, hook the bait right through the middle(wacky rigged). This is a great set up and you can learn how to use these baits in both deep and shallow waters, clear and weedy waters also.

Aside from that little setup i agree with some spinners and spoons and topwaters. But get a pack or two of tube's and proper jigs for them. These baits catch both large and small mouth bass and even lot's of decent sized pesky rock bass. (Green coloured tubes work very well)

Here are some link's so you know what to look for:

Senko: http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s...__SearchResults

Dinger: http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s...__SearchResults

Note: Both are very alike but Dingers are less money.

Tube's: http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s...__SearchResults

Note: this brand along with Berkley is what you will most likely find at a local canadian tire or wal mart

Tube Jigs: http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s...__SearchResults

Note: Go with anything from 1/4 oz and lower...unless your fishing very deep rough waters. Insert the jig head into the tube pop the "eye" of the jig through the bait and tie ur line on, cast er out and pop it up and off the bottom letting it fall back down frequently.

Hope this helps you out,

:) Mike

Edited by Mike The Bass Fisher

[quote name='Mike The Bass Fisher' even lot's of decent sized pesky rock bass.

:) Mike

Pesky Rock Bass !!!

What kind of talk is this for The World's Greatest Sportfish...for shame !!! :lol:

suntan lotion to reapply on the kids as the day goes on is a must have on the water.

Do you have a tacke box alreay or do you need one of those too? If you are still looking for one then have a look at some of the soft bags that hold the trays. They work very well and hold a lot of the salted soft baits everyone has mentioned.

Books, snacks and any toys to keep them happy with the bite is slow too...

Edited by GBW

I'd like to add some real seagar flourocarbon leader material to that list. If you attach your bait (whatever it is) to say 18" of this, then a swivel, then your main line your success rate will go up for sure. This is especially true in clearer water. My favorite topwater bait is a storm chug bug, but I'd keep that for yourself as they can be a little tricky and dangeous for kids to unhook (or cast for that matter). Although it's already been mentioned grab yourself some Mepps spinners. You never know what will hit that. Also, never underestimate a plain old earthworm. You can catch just about anything that swims on worms. Not fancy,but effective. Good luck and have fun with the kids.

Edited by kennyman

I'd recommend going to a dollar store (Dollarama specifically) and see what they have.I've see a few different baits in these stores that are pretty good to start you off . I've seen crankbaits,plastics,inline spinners at Dollarama stores.

I'd also recomment some slip floats as they cast better than the red/white bobbers.

Edited by mikeh

I would suggest a tackle bag over a tackle box. They are a bit more expandable as your interest grows. It is a lot easier to take out plano boxes from the bag and plug in ones that are species oriented. I don`t carry muskie or pike tackle in mine unless I am on waters that have them and they are my target.

Don`t carry panfish tackle unless I intend to fish for panfish. Just keeps things a bit more organized. If I am just out to fun fish I can plug a plano box with basics for a number of species in the bag.

It doesn`t have to be very expensive, if you and the kids get the fishing bug it be easy to keep new purchases for species related tackle in separate plano boxes and take what you need to fish for them

White grubs 2-3 inch will catch a variety of species, get a couple bags of 1/8 to 1/4 ounce white or black jigheads. A few snelled hooks from size 8 to 4 are good for most of your average species, worms, minnows, maggots, leeches or what ever form of legal livebait is allowed is a cheap way to start, a few bobbers, some various sized splitshot and your good to go.

Take some time to study the fishing regulations in the waters you intend to fish, it can save you a problem and embarrassment.

Gotta go with some Rapala x-raps, GULP sinking minnows and and of course, some Mepps spinners!

Plenty of hooks and sinkers are key, becuase when all else fails you can fish with worms or leeches!

Edited by mepps

When I took my 4 year old nephew out he always used a weighted hook with a twister tail. It was easy for him to handle and only one hook to deal with. Worked with all kinds of fish. He's now 6 and likes to use a spro frog as well or poppers because he can see the lure working.

Take your kids with you and let them pick out some stuff. They will get more out of it if they get their own tackle.

I myself have an array of tackle to use. For pike I use spinners and husky jerk. Walleyes I use jigs and origional rapalas on a bottom bouncer. Bass I use top water, tubes and senkos. For all the gear I have, I don't really use much.

Live bait. More than you need. Be this minnows and or worms. Our little one likes to play with the bait, especially when the fishing is slow or she feels that she has caught her limit

Doesn't the live bait start to stink up the tackle box at some point?

JF

Although I own a tackle shop in a bag (my wife says I have at least 1 of everything that Bass Pro Shops has in the store), when it comes down to it I probably don't need most of it (OMG, did I just say that!).

So, if I was in your position with two small kids to entertain, this is what I would pick up (keep in mind, I mostly fish inland lakes for bass, pike, walleye, muskie, crappie, perch):

Terminal tackle - pre-tied aberdeen hooks, bell weights (1/4 to 1oz), swivels, split shot weights, bobbers, nail clippers, pliers to remove hooks, small first aid kit, screw driver, scissors, jig head poker thing (to remove the paint and open up the holes), stringer to hold the fish you catch!!

I'd also just stick to monofilament line for now, probably 6lb test Trilene XT. It works and has worked fine for a long time.

1) Jig heads - round head of various sizes - 1/32, 1/8, 1/4 and maybe 1/2 - depends where exactly you fish (depth, current). As for brand, well just get what's on sale IMO. The Bass Pro brand are good but not necessarily inexpensive, they have both an expensive and cheaper series. I prefer Owner, but they are one of the most expensive. Northland might be a good choice for a value brand. Matzuo aren't too bad if you can find them on sale. If you are near an independent tackle shop you might be able to pick up some locally made ones with decent hooks (Owner, Gamakatsu or Mustad hooks). I use unpainted and painted. I have yet to decide if it matters, many say yes - so, if you think it does go for white, yellow/chartreuse, pink IMO.

You can catch anything at any time of the year on Jig heads with live bait (worms or minnows) or...

2) Plastic Grubs - single tail. You will find an enormous range of brands and colors. Start with the basic colors, white (most definitely), black and yellow. A natural brown (pumpkin) or green (watermelon, green pumpkin) would be a good choice too. That being said, PINK is my favorite! Mister Twister is the most known brand (I believe they invented it?? I don't know). However, I prefer Yamamoto, but they are also the most expensive. I also really like Yum brand baits. They are inexpensive and I have had a lot of success with them. I own a ton of these things of various colors and sizes and textures. Most are Yamamoto and Yum, but I also have Kalins, Zoom, Lindy Joe, Mister Twister. I use the 3" and 4" most of the time, but have 5" for certain times and smaller 1"-2" for panfishing.

3) Pre-tied Aberdeen hooks - great to just toss onto a line with a lead weight and live bait or use a split-shot weight with a bobber. I do this for my daughter. There is a handy little plastic device that connects the hook and main line without tying too. I love them. Makes setting up and shutting down a breeze. I forget what they are called though, sorry. I bought them at Le Baron but I used them as a kid fishing Detroit River a lot. However, you can probably just get away with jig heads.

4) Live bait harness - this is basically a hook(s) attached to a spinner blade in line. Great for drift fishing with live bait for walleye. An Erie Dearie is similar and also good for the same purpose.

Now, for Dad when he wants to cast and retrieve - you can start with 1 or 2 lures from [all or some of] the following categories:

1) Shallow crankbait (<4 feet) - Can't go wrong with an original floating Rapala. The Rapala dives to series are nice and the shallow shad raps are also. Good for anything. I use these crankbaits on top of weedbeds in 8-10' of water.

2) Medium diving crankbait (8-10 feet) - There are a ton of them. Pick one or two you like from companies like Storm (I like Hot'N'Tots), Rapala (Shad Rap), Cotton Cordell, Rebel, Bomber, Bagley's, Manns, Smithwick, etc. Perhaps one chubby fat one and one slender one. Good for anything. Note: you can also add some split shots to your line and use the floating Rapala too! Sizes 3" for the chubby shad types, and 4"-6" for the slender ones.

3) Lipless Crank - Can't beat the original Rat'L'Trap. The new ones from Rapala (forget the name) look nice but haven't used them yet. Good for anything.

4) Slash bait/Jerk bait - Rapala also makes a nice slash baits, the X-Rap and the Husky Jerk. Storm, Smithwick and Bomber have some nice ones too. Good for pike and shoreline fishing for anything.

5) Topwater - There are a lot of great frog baits, both soft plastic and hard. Abrogast Jitterbugs and Hula Poppers are old school favorites. I like the soft plastic frogs a lot - some are basically crank baits but companies like Yum, Zoom make poured plastic frogs that you put on your own hook. You can't forget the Heddon Zara Spook for "walk the dog" presentations. Other topwater plug-type baits are great too. Storm, Smithwick, Rebel and Rapala make some nice ones. I use this mostly for bass fishing, but you can do this for many types of fish.

6) Spinnerbait - Great all around lure. Often used for bass fishing but will catch everything. White is a good choice. You can also buy plastic "chunks" that you can hook on to add bulk to the bait.

7) Plastic Cigar Worms - Great if you want to fish the weeds for bass. You will need some extra-wide gap hooks too (again, I like Owner, Gamakatsu in size 1/0 to 3/0). Yamamoto Senko are great, but expensive. I also really like Yum Dingers, which are much cheaper. I like White, Pink or Bubblegum swirl. A natural color like watermelon or pumpkin is very popular too. Plastic trick worms (long and slender as oppose to thick and fat) are good too, but are rigged differently. Although not a worm, tube jigs (Gitzits) are another option. Again, you need specific hooks (I use 5/0) or tube jig heads to use them. Good for all fish, but I use them for pike, smallmouth.

8) Spoons - I don't use spoons that often except when I go Pike fishing, but it works for all lake fish. I like Len Thompson, Daredevle, Little Cleo, Williams. Very popular for salmon fishing.

9) In-line Spinners - I also don't use in-line spinners that often. I do own a lot though (lol). Can't go wrong with any of them. Mepps, Rooster Tail, Panther Martin, Blue Fox come in various sizes depending on what you are doing - 3 is a good size all around. For trout, whitefish I believe you would use a 0 or 1.

In most cases, for crankbait/spinner color you can pretty much stick with white, silver and/or gold. However, I often pick up firetiger or perch pattern for cranks.

Of course, there are a lot of other options that really depend on what you are targeting, type of fishing you like to do, where you are fishing and in what season.

I probably just confused things more than anything, so from this list I think my shopping list would be: terminal tackle listed, 1/16, 1/8 and 1/4oz jig heads with plastic grubs (3 packs of 3" Yum in pink/white, white, black), 1 3/8oz white Strike King spinnerbait, 1 lipless crankbait (Rat'L'Trap silver, firetiger, perch or crawfish), 1 6" (F11) silver floating Rapala, 2 medium crankbaits (probably Hot'n'tot and/or Shadrap and/or a Bomber long A or Smithwick Rattlin' Rogue), 1 silver slash/jerk bait (Rapala X-Rap or Husky Jerk), 1 frog pattern topwater (probably a jitterbug - I love the sound they make), 1 Red/White Daredevle, 1 Mepps Aglia#3 Silver, 1 package of 5" Yum Dingers in bubblegum swirl and some 3/0 EWG hooks.

This article might help ya out too (a lot of the lures I mentioned are actually in this list): http://www.fieldandstream.com/photos/galle...-lures-all-time

Cheers!