Beagle?

Angler16

It'll be a learning experience.

I have one.

How old, where will it be kept, etc, tons of questions.

Generally, they are considered professional chewers.

You'll probably get an interesting response from trainer, if you do an obedience course.

Why do you think you want a beagle?

Sending a PM.

Edited by nofish4me

i have a beagle had her bred help deliver pups and raise them then sell them if you have any questions give me a buzz, and i can hook u up with a good breeder who has lots of pups , great family dog , you have to be prepared fopr a year of puppy , but are easlity trained , isnt a dog that can be let loose to walk around in city , but fenced yard or invisible fence works we hav six beagles which we hunt with and are all family dogs

Be prepared for every stereo type you've ever heard about Beagles.

Malcolm and I have dogs from the breeder outside of Port Perry. Great hunting and family dogs. Just no manners and the most stubborn things on 4 legs.

Copper and Nikita a week after bringing them home 2 years ago. Mine's the loudmouth on the left

copper3.jpg

Never leave any food out

Never leave anything chewable out like watches and steelhead floats

Never turn your back on the dinner table for even a second

Get obedience training from the very beginning. I didn't and have my hands full now

They pull like crazy on walks

There brain is in their nose and when they get a scent their ears shut down.

They bark and howl louder then most dogs

If you let them off the leash expect them to run after anything, even a leaf blowing down the street.

If it smells like food their all over it

DSCF0417.jpg

A beagle is a commitment. loads of energy that needs attention. Walks and play time everyday.

All said, my buddy follows me around the house all the time. He's snoring at my feet right now and I wouldn't trade him for anything else.

Edited by Fang

Yep Wayne your post made me laugh.

We had the beagles run off at last years deer hunt and it started pouring rain before we could track em down with the radio collars. That night my dog found a warm farm house, got invited inside by a freindly group of hunters who phoned the number on the collar. Wel my wife answers and they tell her they have the dog. Malcolm and I get several voicemails that night and all the next morning. She's trying to find out if I'd found Copper yet.

When we zoned in on the radio signal and pulled in the driveway my dog was sleeping on the couch next to the fire in their hunt camp. Here I was worrying all night that I was gonna come home without the dog and get blasted by the wife and kids

Wow there are some real negatives to this dog. I live in Brampton and the dog wont be allowed in the backyard. I will take it out for walks 3 times a day. Im really thinking about choosing another breed now that i know they chew alot.

Yep Wayne your post made me laugh.

We had the beagles run off at last years deer hunt and it started pouring rain before we could track em down with the radio collars. That night my dog found a warm farm house, got invited inside by a freindly group of hunters who phoned the number on the collar. Wel my wife answers and they tell her they have the dog. Malcolm and I get several voicemails that night and all the next morning. She's trying to find out if I'd found Copper yet.

When we zoned in on the radio signal and pulled in the driveway my dog was sleeping on the couch next to the fire in their hunt camp. Here I was worrying all night that I was gonna come home without the dog and get blasted by the wife and kids

ahhh Memories, was out hunting probably 8-10 kms by boat away from home one afternoon ,looking for some partridge the hound got a sent of something and was GONE ,walked around a few more hours calling his name worried about the lil bugger ,his pads ,whats he gonna eat etc,stayed as long as I could before the sun went down, got home a lil upset about the days events ,the dogs been home for hours ,ate a bowl of Speggati,and was sleeping confortably nice and warm on the couch,another time running down the bay @ WOT he got a sniff of something and jumped out of the boat ,I just couldent belive it ,there definatly very tough determined dogs mine lived a very long eventfull life ,came home with quills in his snout many times,big gashes in his head,got bit in the face by bees or hornets one day and his head swelled up I dident think he was gonna make it ,13-14 yrs he made it, eventually had to put him down he was having seizures

Lil Angler,

If you're looking for a family dog that is better suited for city life then I think you're making a great choice in deciding to look at a number of breeds. I bought mine as an outdoor dog and to hunt deer. There's some great breeds out there. Do your homework and make the right choice.

Too bad this weekend had the pet show up at the international center in Mississauga. I went a few years ago and learned a lot about several breeds I was interested in. Decide on what size is best suited for your environemnt and lifestyle first and then go from there.

I live in Brampton and the dog wont be allowed in the backyard.

...is this some kinda rule I've never heard about?

What are ya allowed in your backyard? ...if not a dog?

Hey dude,

I only have a second here, so you can PM me if you haven't already decided on another type of dog. They're difficult to train, especially if you don't have experience training dogs, they're stubborn, and like to let their superior sense of smell get them into trouble...BUT, in my experience, they're loyal, friendly to everyone, very very good with kids, and mine was easily my best buddy.

Here's a video of us playing hockey 2 years ago during xmas holidays

Cheers,

UF

Li'l Angler

Why not check the local SPCA branches, and adopt a furbaby. You can also research breed rescues. You will be getting a dog that has had some basic training. If you only want a dog for a pet, you should re-consider the working/hunter type dogs. Most responses were not negative, just grounded in reality of the breed.

You current choice is good, IF you have a lot of time to devote to training and caring. Consider the costs involved with having a furbaby. Your annual Vet visits for the routine vaccines. The cost of food, has risen substantially of late. You can get pet insurance now, but without it, you will have to have deep pockets.

Not trying to discourage you, just my .02$

John

I used to live just outside Luther Marsh and every year we would look after stray beagles that had run off from their rabbit hunting duties until their owners were found. :P

As has been said they love to run & run & run & run ...............................

energizerbunny.jpg

The thing about the backyard is he wont e allowed in there because last dog pissed and popped there and it killed the grass. Plus i have a pool in the backtard. I did some more research and i really like this breed. Ill be getting it as a pup. The one im looking at was born last feburary. And this summer will be all about the dog and im even looking into obedience classes. I wont be doing anythign this sumemr except ocasional fishing outing and 3on3 hockey. Thanks everyone for your help

The thing about the backyard is he wont e allowed in there because last dog pissed and popped there and it killed the grass. Plus i have a pool in the backtard. I did some more research and i really like this breed. Ill be getting it as a pup. The one im looking at was born last feburary. And this summer will be all about the dog and im even looking into obedience classes. I wont be doing anythign this sumemr except ocasional fishing outing and 3on3 hockey. Thanks everyone for your help

A dog's a 15 year commitment not a summer toy...That being said if you are prepared and put the work in it's one of the greatest commitments you could make

I live in Brampton and the dog wont be allowed in the backyard.

I will take it out for walks 3 times a day.

EVERY kid that's ever lived has promised his folks he'll walk the dog 3 times a day if he's allowed to have one, but what's gonna happen in a couple months or a couple years from now once the novelty of the puppy has worn off and the little guy isn't allowed in the backyard to do his thing or even when he needs some excercise ??

What about when it's cold & raining outside or in the dead of winter and nobody wants to leave the warm house, what's he sposed to do then if he can't go in the yard ??

You can leave a cat in the house and he won't really care, but dogs need to get outside to do their business and they REALLY need to run and stretch their legs.

If he's not allowed in the yard, I sure hope your gonna keep your word and be able to commit to taking him for walks EVERY day......for the next 10 or 15 years anyways.

Something you want to think long and hard about.

EVERY kid that's ever lived has promised his folks he'll walk the dog 3 times a day if he's allowed to have one, but what's gonna happen in a couple months or a couple years from now once the novelty of the puppy has worn off and the little guy isn't allowed in the backyard to do his thing or even when he needs some excercise ??

What about when it's cold & raining outside or in the dead of winter and nobody wants to leave the warm house, what's he sposed to do then if he can't go in the yard ??

You can leave a cat in the house and he won't really care, but dogs need to get outside to do their business and they REALLY need to run and stretch their legs.

If he's not allowed in the yard, I sure hope your gonna keep your word and be able to commit to taking him for walks EVERY day......for the next 10 or 15 years anyways.

Something you want to think long and hard about.

Well said Lew!

My current dog was just that. Her owners took good care of her for a year or so, until the novelty of having a puppy wore off. They started a family (had kids) and suddenly the dog was left without a family. She was stuck in a 10x10 kennel outside in the rain/snow/cold winters for almost 4 years, alone, tip-toeing around her own feces until we came along and took her home. She now only gets 1 walk a day, (sometimes only 4 - 5 days a week) and has the entire 1 acre lot to herself. And she's still wired all the time. So you should think long and hard before taking on a puppy if he/she won't have a yard to play in.

cheers,

UF

Sounds to me like a beagle is probably not for you.

Three walks a day, if they actually did happen, are really just a warm up for a beagle.

I've done three hour walks with my hound and he'd be still pulling like a tractor by the end of it.

When he was young, my hound could run 8-10 hours a day and be ready for more the next morning.

The only way to settle them down is to get them really fat, which seems to be a popular approach for some.

Based on your first sentence you shouldn't be looking for a dog. Sorry get a gold fish.