I CALL MUSKIE!

Skud

I didn't want to hijack a great report/thread so I start this one to debate on the small fish Limeyangler caught. I believe it be a muskie so I post pics to back up my thoughts.

#1 - Pike are dark green in colour with white, irregular spots from the size of 6 inches to 50 inches. Here are some pictures of mine from the past years.

#2 - Muskie are light in colour with dark strips, bars and spots. The patterns vary and change as the fish grows and many times most markings disappear. Here is a pic of my own plus some from the internet. Notice in the one picture there is a pike and a young muskie together and how they contrast in colour.

Please back up your rebuttal with examples and pictures of these wonderful creatures.

Please note that I am only making this fuss because I am bored due to the weather is too crappy to dewinterize my boat for the coming softwater season.

Piker1.jpg

Piker3.jpg

Musker1.jpg

muskies_in_net.jpg

muskie_spawn_1.jpg

I first thought Pike as well but once you look at the other markings, I went back to agree with Limeyangler(sp). After all, he is the one that caught the fish in question. Not knowing the actual length of the fish other than judging by the size of the jig head, I would say a small pike. Look at the tail, soft, rounded. There are horizontal white patches on it similar to a Pike as well. Below is a Pike I caught in the Timmins area. Definately a Pike because there are no Muskie in the lake I caught this one in. It also has the vertical bars similar to a muskie. I would be more apt to believe juvenilles have this similar striation to help camouflage in the weeds.

fishing346.jpg

3d28.jpg

Edited by Ron

Further looking at the Pike, you can count the sub mandibular pores and if I'm not mistaken there are 5 on it's left side. Take a very close look at the scaling on it's cheek and you will be able to see that the lower portion of the cheek is also covered with scales making me believe this is indeed a nice fish! :D

I'm not sure how you can see scales or sub mandibular pores in that picture :dunno:

Like you said skud, Muskie are light in colour with dark strips, bars and spots. Limey's small essox has a dark body with light markings.

IMO, it's a pike.

Ben.....

You didn't see the smile face at the end of my post???? :D :D :D

Cheers man

Thanks Skud, bout time you admitted you were wrong once in your life. ha ha ha

Cheers, Ron....

Edited by Ron

Ben.....

You didn't see the smile face at the end of my post???? :D :D :D

Cheers man

Thanks Skud, bout time you admitted you were wrong once in your life. ha ha ha

Cheers, Ron....

No harm, no fowl. I respect your opinion Ron.

Cheers,

Ben