Help a fella out with his Pike setup??

Hi all,

I'm looking to try my hand at Pike fishing this year. I have a Shimano Curado reel paired with a 6' med/hvy Berkley Lightning Rod. Now, I know I'll need to spool the reel up with 15 or 20lb test, but that's where my knowledge ends.

What type of line is best suited for the main line, mono? Clear or coloured?

Do Pike take their baits from the surface, close to the surface, or from the bottom?

Can anyone illustrate a simple (but typical) lure setup? I'd also like to see a simple baitfish setup, along with a good recommendation for bait to use.

I know this is a complex set of answers I seek, and I wouldn't be asking if the stuff I've already seen wasn't wildly complex..

Best,

Mark

15-20lb braid such as Suffix would be a good idea. Get some decent steel leaders and you should be all set.

Pike eat anything... topwater, swimbaits, dead bait, cranks, jigs, whatever.. They aren't very picky, which is good for you.

I'd get some spinnerbaits, a few Husky jerks, a couple of topwater and of course some Daredevils :)

Your presentation is going to vary depending on what type of lake you're fishing..

I'm sure some more guys will chime in with some additional info.

Thanks guys.

So, just a basic heavy line and some wire leader? I've seen some fancy rigs set up using slips, floats and weights, kind of blew my mind on the complexity.

Nice to know they feed on a lot of different presentations, I have some spoons, but I'll check out some top swimmers and the like.

What about using live bait? What's good?

Yep I'm just getting into pike fishing this year, but your setup sounds fine. I don't think you can go wrong with dead bait under a float, as long as the pike are around. If they're more active spinners are a good bet, I think dead bait under a float would be good for right now though, from what I've deduced... this is mostly theoretical with just a slight bit of practical knowledge. Minnows, shiners, dead oily fish all seem to do the trick, the pike don't seem to be very picky when they are 'on.'

Edited by Bass Killer

I have used mono and braided dacron- nylon for pike super braids weren`t out. Important thing was getting the lure - bait in front of the fish. Best plan for fishing for them is fish at the depth they are at which can vary over the season.

Early spring shallower and deeper for the bigger ones as it warms up, except maybe early or late in the day. Any lure that you would use for bass has a decent chance of catching a pike, mix in some spoons which most people don`t use for bass.

Are you fishing from a boat or shore? Shore angling is a limiter but can be done. Your chances are better where baitfish, other smaller food fish for pike are present, any fish smaller than the pike is food. Cover,wood weeds help the smaller fish hide, shallow water gives them a place to escape to. A deeper pathway to these can be a spot to look.

If your using a bait caster not hard to set it up for pike, take the line and tie a steel or flourocarbon leader to it and snap on a lure. Don`t buy leader with cheap snaps, at least get them with Berkley cross locks on them. If you can find them with the Stringease snaps they look like the way to go.

Never had to use a steel leader over 12 inches when casting for pike, I have used them longer when trolling just to error on the safe side.

If your fishing live bait, big chubs, shiners and such a slip float set up is a good way to do it. Steel leader snelled hook, they usually run 10-12 inches long pre-made? Put the stop on the line or tie a blood knot on the main line just cut off a piece or use left overs from your spool you used to spool your reel long enough to fish the depth of water you are fishing. Slide on a bead that won`t fit over the stop or blood knot, slide on the slip float.

Weight is needed to keep the bobber upright and the bait at the depth you want to fish, some crimp on splitshot, I slid on a worm weight. I used a swivel snap at the end to attach the leader-hook allows the bait to swim without as many tangles or line twist. Any concerns about the quality of the snap just crimp a split shot over it to prevent it from opening.

Bigger chubs, shiners tend to catch bigger than average pike.

most of the info on here has been great and i would like to add using 6-12" suckers under floats using either just a big spoon like a williams whitefish or you can buy different pike rigs and different styles of multiple hooked rigs on wire line. and you cant forgot xraps, i say the best pike, bass, walleye lure out there.

I think that everyone has pretty much covered it. Just watch the regs as I know some area's pike closes on the last day of March. And remember they are an ambush predator that uses cover to hide. In the colder waters that we have here, they are very lazy to chase a bait.

Hope this helps you out and best of luck to you B)

Heavy mono in the 20Lbs test range with a wire leader is a must..... try and locate flats or bays that hold heavy weeds and you should be good to go.

I use 20Lbs power pro phantom red on all my spinning reels and throw big spoons such as red devils or five of diamonds.... you can even throw crank baits such as big O's or spinnerbaits to entice them. If you are allowed live bait, then rig a wide gap hook with it. You just never know.

You got to remember that pike likes warm shallow waters.... they're on the hunt for bait fish all the time.... when you are able to catch one.... there's more

Good luck and hope that helps you out

Leechman

Personally I've never fished dead bait for pike in open water. Maybe really early in the year when they are lethargic immediately after spawning. I prefer to cast or troll and cover some water. Pike are very aggressive and will hit almost anything cruising through the water column. Spinner baits are deadly, both kinds but I prefer inline (eg Mepps). Braided (no stretch) line, as other have mentioned, is key. Don't kid yourself though, use a leader as pike can cut through even 50lb braid no problem. I've caught (and lost) hundreds of pike while jigging walleye with a jig/minnow. Sometimes you get lucky and the jig sits outside of their mouth, the rest of the time you're retying. Good luck. Oh yeah - find a weed bed, you'll find pike - they love the weeds.