Has anyone ever built their own Dory or drift boat

luv2drift

I've not had the experience, but a dory is a very demanding project. You might be able to get specs and drawings from 'The Dory Shop' in Shelburne, NS. They've been building traditional East coast dories for several generations in that location since the days of the schooner fleets. They still build to order as well.

Me and my old man built a 16ft fishing boat. Pretty much the same as an aluminum utility boat, but made from wood.

My grandfather has built many boats too.

I'm thinking about building a layout boat for duck hunting. There are a lot of plans online if you look for them.

Sinker

I have built a few different styles of fishing/river boats. I have built wooden dorys, flats, skiffs, and a couple of open tiller boats. My grandfather is a ship builder as well my uncles. Grew up doing it. I even learned how to steam all the timber and the latts for making frame structures. I built a canoe a few years back as well as a Kayak when I was in school. What info are you looking for.

Good set of plans, lots of time, a place to do it, a multitude of good woodworking tools, a little skill with working with wood, and patience.

It would likely be less to buy one than to build it yourself if you include the price of tools. But many like the satisfaction of doing it themselves.

Come by the boatshop up here and I will give you a tour so you can get an idea of what you may need.

http://www.gieslerboats.ca/Images/wherry013.jpg

Edited by Bernie

Good set of plans, lots of time, a place to do it, a multitude of good woodworking tools, a little skill with working with wood, and patience.

It would likely be less to buy one than to build it yourself if you include the price of tools. But many like the satisfaction of doing it themselves.

Come by the boatshop up here and I will give you a tour so you can get an idea of what you may need.

http://www.gieslerboats.ca/Images/wherry013.jpg

What a great shot Bernie... of a proud employee !

Edited by irishfield