Local Chatham area Bait store robbed at gun point

Handlebarz

This sure is some low life robbing Jamie (a handicap man) at gun point I hope he gets what coming to him. I know Jamie and he sure is a great person and always helps you out this sure is a sad day for local fishermen what the heck is going on that some goof would do this to him.

Here is the article from Canoe.ca

Police are currently looking for an armed suspect after receiving a complaint that Ed's Bait at 127 Earl St. was robbed at gunpoint this morning.

The incident occurred shortly after 8:30 a.m.

Several police cruisers were called in from Chatham to aid in the search. Officers set up checkpoints over the southside neighbourhood, from about the Murray Street Bridge, south on Murray to about Reaume Street, as well as on Albert Street.

Early reports are that a man robbed Ed's Bait with a handgun. Police have not yet released a description of the person they're looking for, but were out looking with a dog team.

There were also reports that elementary schools in the area were under lockdown. The lockdown was lifted about 9:40 a.m.

Police are looking for a caucasian male about 18 years of age, 6'0" tall with a thin build. He obtained a quantity of cash and exited the store on foot heading west bound. He was wearing a tan coloured coat, a dark ski mask, and black winter gloves.

Chatham-Kent Police patrol officers, Police Dog Services, and members of the Critical Incident Response Team conducted a track and searched the area. The nearby schools were notified. At this time, the suspect has not been located. Anyone with any information is asked to contact Detective Constable Jodi Foster at 519-436-6600 extension #83012 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477).

This morning's robbery comes less than 35 hours after an armed robbery at a business on nearby Murray Street. In that incident, police arrested an 18-year-old male who they say robbed the store while wearing a mask. In that incident, police confiscated a replica handgun.

Wow that's really disturbing, you can bet that if we had a right to carry in Ontario that person would have thought twice, in fact any crook would think twice. I don't know Jamie but hope he's doing ok that can be quite shocking.

wait.. you're saying if we had the right to carry we'd be a safer place?

I am really not in agreement with this quote " you can bet that if we had a right to carry in Ontario that person would have thought twice, in fact any crook would think twice" . So when a 16 year old has to work in the convenience store are they expected to use the "company peice" ?

And I really don't know about the kind of person who thinks he needs to rob a baitshop owner. Unbelieveable dirt bag.

sad indeed ,but whats sadder is if he does get caught ,a slap on the wrist maybe a lil probation,probably wont have to pay back a cent lots of incentive not to do it again right ,thats how the bleeding hearts we have running the country looking out for us ,god bless when the going does get tough for many

wait.. you're saying if we had the right to carry we'd be a safer place?

Now this one I love. Please allow me to weigh in,.... in Kennesaw state it is the law, you must own a fire arm. Think about that for one minute, meditate. Okay, now do you think anyone would attempt to rob someone at gun point when they know 10 people behind them own guns. Do you think that 18 yr old boy, would attempt the gun point robbery with a fake gun, knowing full and well the owner has a real gun in reaching distance, perhaps on his hip......?

I`m not sorry for saying it, I believe in the right to own and carry fire arms. But with that by law must come education, much like a drivers license, only the recipient would learn not only safety but the consequences of taking your firearm out of its holster and firing it.

Guns will never go away, you and the army can never get rid of them, so why not arm the innocent citizens who are being attacked by gun toting criminals. Again the power is in the hands of the criminals, as it will always be. except for Kennesaw state. I have owned firearms, shot them, and was a very responsible owner, I understood the power they hold beyond the gunpowder. Thank you for allowing me to weigh in.

Now this one I love. Please allow me to weigh in,.... in Kennesaw state it is the law, you must own a fire arm. Think about that for one minute, meditate. Okay, now do you think anyone would attempt to rob someone at gun point when they know 10 people behind them own guns. Do you think that 18 yr old boy, would attempt the gun point robbery with a fake gun, knowing full and well the owner has a real gun in reaching distance, perhaps on his hip......?

I`m not sorry for saying it, I believe in the right to own and carry fire arms. But with that by law must come education, much like a drivers license, only the recipient would learn not only safety but the consequences of taking your firearm out of its holster and firing it.

Guns will never go away, you and the army can never get rid of them, so why not arm the innocent citizens who are being attacked by gun toting criminals. Again the power is in the hands of the criminals, as it will always be. except for Kennesaw state. I have owned firearms, shot them, and was a very responsible owner, I understood the power they hold beyond the gunpowder. Thank you for allowing me to weigh in.

Exactly. Look at the HUGE spike in Washington DC when guns were banned, they have the tightest restrictions in the USA and coincidentally... the HIGHEST rate of gun crime. Look at what happened to Britain's crime when they banned handguns, they went up! If I was a dirty crook, I'd be targeting people who I knew DONT have guns. Did you know that before the government and police became so centralized and invasive in everyone's life, people policed themselves, and it actually worked! Think about it, prohibition only makes things worse in every single example, what it does it opens up a black market in every case, increasing violence. Also, do you think the Virginia shooter would of been able to get away with killing so many people if others were armed? How about Germany? I've never owned a gun, I don't plan on getting one either, but it is illogical to think that restricting them by law restricts them and their use in practice.

The only people who benefit are the government and the criminals, and sometimes they're one and the same!

Edited by Bass Killer

Just thought I'd throw my 2 cents in.....

In terms of sentences for armed robbery, although they are not where they should be, they are coming down harder on offences like this. It'll take some time, but we will see tougher sentences because things are changing

oh and coincidentally, England has the number of crimes involving knives of all the first world nations (as of '07).

Edited by FishnNAutographs

I emplore anyone who thinks that more Guns in Canada would benefit anyone, to watch "Bowling for Columbine". Here, people smarter than most look at the facts and compare (quite often) the relationships between gun legislation and crime, between the USA and Canada. Guess what? There is no comparison, we are much safer with our current legislation.

Down there, you need only a few days wait to go out and get a handgun, let alone automatic weapons and do whatever you like with them. Now I don't know about anyone here, but I personally sleep well at night knowing that the loser that robbed that one place in Chatham, did it with a FAKE gun. Sure, he may think twice if he knows the clerk may also have one, but I bet the CLERK sleeps better at night knowing that it's pretty tough for the roaming public to get their hands one one with the state our laws are in right now.

My 2 cents..

I tend to agree with you, I shouldn't have said it applies specifically for Ontario I think what we have right now is working extremely well. I think though that depending on the place, population, and situation either way could be suitable. I don't think banning would work in many places, but here in Ontario I think the results speak for themselves (ie good) :)

Edited by Bass Killer