Punta Cana....

Gerritt

Thought I might pick your guys brains one more time in regards to my up coming trip...

I have booked a charter with Mike's already and will be targeting White Marlin..... (Can't wait!)

We are also doing a swim with the dolphins :rolleyes:

But are there any good shore fishing opportunities? if so how far of a trek is it from my resort? (Punta Cana Princess) What about bait?

Should a pack a telescopic rod and reel or can one be bought there?

also are there any other MUST SEE / MUST DO's in and around Punta Cana?

3 weeks and counting!

Thanks folks

G

I stayed at the Iberostar lasy year.I took my rod and reel but didn't get anything from shore.I mostly stuck around the resort exept for a zip line trip and a few snokeling trips.They have "snrkeling" trips that go out on a party boat with rum drinks and beer afterward and a dance show.They are fun but a little pricey.Usually the resort has a dive shop that has a no frills trip is a fraction of the cost and goes to the same reef.I would also inquire at the dive shop about fishing oppertunities before booking a reef fishing trip.Art is leaving for Punta Cana tomorrow morning for a week.He may have some more info when he returns.Try to google earth your resort and area,you may see something from the sky.

Joe

Gerritt.

Check out this place.

http://debsdrtravels.proboards47.com/index.cgi

The people there are quiet friendly and are usually ready to help with info. I believe that Mike is one of the regulars on the board; he goes by mikefisher.

Dan.

Thanks Dan! I have spoke with Mikefisher on numerous occasions! I even booked a charter with him! a great guy indeed!.... I am looking for some MUST see or do things while on my vacation.... and a couple of shore spots and tackle choices would be awesome!

G

The snorkeling party boat is fun ! We swam with sharks and sting rays on that trip and your on a huge catamaran drinking all kinds of intersting things ! And they take you for a boat to a shallow bay for swimming with a floating bar :D buy your own mask and snorkel who knows who's face those have been on lol ! I also just snorkeled infront of my resort and found all kinds of cool shells and see through fish lol ! I had so much fun in punta cana! I'm jealous

I’ve never been to the East cost; just the north in Puerto Plata; a lot of people casting into the surf from the beaches there.

But I bet if you post this same question on the east coast forum; you’ll get some worth while replies.

Dan.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

i stayed at the majestic colonial last year. real good times. didn't leave the resort much. i found the snorkeling to be by far the most exciting part...even when it was just in the swimming area.

Do scuba diving if you can...

Andrea and I did and it was awesome... after the initial training, scuba diving after that was $10 more then a snorkeling trip...

I agree.

I admit though that it concerns me a little seeing some folks dive with only the resort course as training, but as long as they aren't scared stiff and stay close to the dive leaders in shallow water they're pretty safe. I can't be too critical though. It's the way I started.

JF

hi Gerritt,

even that the shore fishing around your hotel PUJ Princess is not a class act, it is always worth a try, nothing better than to get a line wet before the real breakfast.

during your visit the tide will be high early morning, so hit the beach before anybody else does with the first sunlight. for shore or inshore fishing you alway need to bring your own tackle, no shop around to rent such. use always metl leaders, teeth are sharp, lol.

i would recommend medium spinning tackle with 10lbs tsted line or 8wt flygear. onshore winds are a factor for flygear, but 2nd half of april is usually calm and should suit flygear fine.

somebody above mentioned Mike Fisher on Debbies Travel Bord, yes, it is the same Mike, it is me, i always use the same bordname when chatting around to not confuse.

G., thanks for the invitation to this bord here, looks like a good crowd of people. it's a bit late today but i will be back tomorrow eve for a sweep.

for any question about Punta Cana, just shout it out loud and i will shout back.

will save a white for ya.

Mike

Thanks Mike!

For those of you that dont know Mike is the largest fishing charter operator in the DR, and is of German decent.

Welcome to the board Mike!! perhaps you can share a few pictures of your adventures over the years?

Gerritt.

S.

great to s'y here on this bord.

when will you be back on our side of the channel?

when you been over here boats been ankered in front of the beach in El Cortecito,

afterwards i spent a year at the docks of the Punta Cana Marina, beautiful property, but during several moths of the year some fishing grounds been too far from the Marina, so since last x-mas i have the boats here at my house in Cabeza de Toro aside the sportfishing Club, running off the Pier at the Club or the big Pier at my house right aside the Club. from here the light tackle spezies like white marlin, sailfish, dorado, wahoo aso are right in front of the passage, just the 5-10nmls area to fish, and even for the Blues we just need 12-25nmls, no more waste of time for long offshore runs.

G.,

just saw the feature on the "settings" to load up fotos to a personal gallery, will do so later on or tomorrow morning.

for this afternoon i will be fishing again with 2 buddies of mine who are over for a week, so the boat is for customers just in the mornings, afternoons are for our private fun, ha ha.

Mike

I don't know about the fishing, but I stayed at the Grand Bahia Principe a few years ago and I couldn't have been happier. Great food, great beaches, and you're within walking distance of the market on the beach. You also have day trips to swim with dolphins etc. It's worth the price to go there.