New to the Forums, question about portable Fish Finders

Hi all,

I'm new to the OFC forums, but not a stranger to forums in general, I'm a member of a few others in the Photography and Mountain Bike communities.

Some background on me, I've been passionate about fishing since as far back as I can remember, but my technique is very unrefined, as is my knowledge at this point. Both things, I wish to improve upon. I've just purchased my first boat, a generic 14' Aluminum tub powered by a 9.9 Johnson.

I guess my first question is aimed at people "in the same boat" as me; what is the recommended portable fish finder for these types of boats? I don't want to install anything that could grow legs and walk away, but I want a good unit. I'd even consider one with built in GPS, but I doubt I'd find a good portable. Or would I?

Best,

Mark

Yes, you can get GPS in a portable. Look at the Lowrance M68C and add the Ice Fishing Portable pack and you will have a unit that will work on hard water as well as open water.

Lowrance M68C

You will also want to purchase a portable transducer mount like this one from Cabelas.

Transducer Bracket

These work much better than those suction cup mounts that tend to fall off while running at speed.

Yes, you can get GPS in a portable. Look at the Lowrance M68C and add the Ice Fishing Portable pack and you will have a unit that will work on hard water as well as open water.

Lowrance M68C

You will also want to purchase a portable transducer mount like this one from Cabelas.

Transducer Bracket

These work much better than those suction cup mounts that tend to fall off while running at speed.

Hey, thanks alot D! This is exactly what I had been looking for.. :)

Transducer Bracket

Question, there are 3 mount options, but I'm looking closely at the standard with LCR mount. What's the LCR? Is that the actual display of my Fish Finder they are referring to? If so, I'd guess I could mount that up on the mount and take advantage of having everything together?

I've been passionate about fishing since as far back as I can remember, but my technique is very unrefined, as is my knowledge at this point. Both things, I wish to improve upon.

You're in the right place to pick up the knowledge, the technique just comes through practice :) This board has opened up many opportunities for me.

Hi digitalkreation, welcome to the forum.

I own an x67c....its an awesome piece of gear, i use it on the boat in the summer, and on the ice in the winter. I was also looking at getting the M68c or the LMS 522 because of intergrated gps, but it was suggested to buy the unit without the integrated GPS and to get a seperate handheld gps , that way i could use the gps in the car, on the snowmobile, in the truck finding small lakes.....ON A MOUNTAIN BIKE ;) ....know what i mean?

I also like to have 2 separate units for graph/gps.

All in one is great, but if it ever goes down, you have nothing.

Sinker

While this is true it's not something I worry about with Lowrance units.

I have been running them for over 20 years without issues.

I have an LMS350 combo unit on my boat that was purchased in '93 and it's still chugging away. :D

It's about time for an upgrade though, the new 10" HD unit is going to look good in it's place. :lol:

limeyangler has a good point about the seprate GPS for hiking and biking etc. That's why also hav a portable GPS. I just don't like fiddling with a portable unit while trying to concentrate on fishing a brake or other structure. I find it easier to just concentrate on my finder in split screen mode. But that's just me. B)

Hey all,

So an update on this, I spent the WHOLE day researching and I've stumbled upon quite a few makes and models who have 95% of what I want, but lack something important.

I was THIS CLOSE to purchasing the M86C but when I used the demo, it had no real mapping for the small lakes I'll be on (in the Trent Severn), so that pretty much ruled it out, since I want the Sonar/GPS combo, so I can set waypoints of the "good spots".

I looked at the current model by Lowrance, and same thing. This ruled out the portables at Lowrance. I moved on to Humminbird, and same thing.

So I took a different approach and started off by finding units that were Hotmaps friendly, and found that none were "portable" units. But some were "quick disconnect", which would also be ok, but without their own power source, I'd have to wire something up. Not out of the question, since I want to install nav lights anyhow, so I'm currently looking at these types.

Anyone have a "quick disconnect" type?

Welcome to OFC--great source for fishing info. The posters who recommended the bracket mount from Cabela's are spot on--those suction cups are horrible. The bracket is the ticket.

Secondly, I bought a simple Eagle portable unit about 12 yrs ago and it is still kicking. I keep waiting for it to die but it keeps going and has never failed me on my yearly Canada trip. Pretty much sold me on them.

I use my Lowrance graph all year long. In the boat, and on the ice. I never leave it in the boat when I leave. Always comes with me. You can buy a portable pack for pretty much any lowrance unit if you want to.

Sinker

Welcome.

I can't improve upon the units suggested. These guys know more about sonar then i do. The brackets are nice. Suction cups are trouble even with a 9.9. I've seen lots of guy forget to take them off before then run to a new spot and loose the whole unit. The cheapest bracket option is to remove the suction cup and mount it on a piece of wood. Then clamp the wood to the back of the boat. Its a quick fix and works well. I know a few guys who use this method. I use it as well cause i need the suction cup for a the canoe.

I also prefer the hand held GPS to a unit based model. That's one of those "to each their own things".

-Dave

I was THIS CLOSE to purchasing the M86C but when I used the demo, it had no real mapping for the small lakes I'll be on (in the Trent Severn)

This model doesn't have an SD/MMC slot and the only maps installed are for the US I believe.

But some were "quick disconnect", which would also be ok, but without their own power source, I'd have to wire something up.

I think the term "quick disconnect" means the lcd unit disconnects from the base without having to undue any cables because they are attached to the base. A lot of Humminbird units are like this.

What about something like this?

Humminbird 343c portable

or the gps model

383c portable

Edited by wiggler

What about something like this?

Humminbird 343c portable

or the gps model

383c portable

Yep, the 383C Portable is pretty much the same type of unit as the Lowrance unit I looked at, but again, it doesn't have the SD card slot for external map source, so I'd have to ensure that its mapping in these small lakes is up to the task. Humminbird doesn't have online demos of their products, so I'd have to get my hands on one to see the level of detail they have in Canada, especially the Trent Severn.

I think if you go to the 500 series from Lowrance you can add chips from Navionics or Lakemaster. Just make sure the chips contain the lakesof your choosing. I have a 2008 Navionics chip of eastern Ontario lakes, but it has nothing west of Rt 64 bridge for Nipissing. The Navionics website contains listing for all lakes for each geographic area and chip. These Lowrance units have a 5" color display and at least a 480 by 480 pixel count. If you fish walleyes you really want 480 vertical pixels to get separation of fish from the bottom. Another option is Fish Eagle, also made by Lowrance, they are typically a little less expensive but have similiar features. I'm afraid I can't help with Garmen or Hummingbird. You can buy these units without transducers then purchase the portable pack separatey from Lowrance or other retailers. You can also buy older chips at a dicount.

I think if you go to the 500 series from Lowrance you can add chips from Navionics or Lakemaster. Just make sure the chips contain the lakesof your choosing. I have a 2008 Navionics chip of eastern Ontario lakes, but it has nothing west of Rt 64 bridge for Nipissing. The Navionics website contains listing for all lakes for each geographic area and chip. These Lowrance units have a 5" color display and at least a 480 by 480 pixel count. If you fish walleyes you really want 480 vertical pixels to get separation of fish from the bottom. Another option is Fish Eagle, also made by Lowrance, they are typically a little less expensive but have similiar features. I'm afraid I can't help with Garmen or Hummingbird. You can buy these units without transducers then purchase the portable pack separatey from Lowrance or other retailers. You can also buy older chips at a dicount.

Thanks for the info. I'm having a hard time finding the 500 series though, the only ones I see are in the legacy (retured) products and the ones listed there (510C & 515C dumb ass) don't show GPS as a feature. Do you have a specific model I can look for?

Thanks for the info. I'm having a hard time finding the 500 series though, the only ones I see are in the legacy (retured) products and the ones listed there (510C & 515C dumb ass) don't show GPS as a feature. Do you have a specific model I can look for?

There may be some left in the stores as they have just been discontinued.

Cabelas has some of the Eagle units (Different Division of Lowrance) Eagles Sonar

If you want to save some $$$$ they have the B&W version as well. B&W Version

There are a bunch of 500 series units with GPS available on ebay (520C, 522C and 525C brand new in box)