Am I reading the Regs Wrong?

Dnthmn

Well I was talking with one of the guys at work and we got on the topic of fishing the Nine Mile River in Port Albert.

I am under the impression that the river is closed(including the mouth) until after the opener, but he was saying that fishing is allowed up to 100M from the lake.

Anyone know the deffinitive answer on this one?

Thanks.

This is all I see on it Bud.

Nine Mile River - 100 m (328 ft.) above

Port Albert Fishway - Ashfield Twp.

Fish sanctuary - no fishing from 4th Sat.

in Apr. - May 15 & Sept. 1 - Nov. 30.

The mouths of many Lake Huron tributaries are considered part of FMZ 13 ie part of Lake Huron, year-round open season for Steelhead. Of course, in their effort to simplify the regs recently, the MNR have made things more complicated. One has to wade through scores of detailed maps to determine the various boundaries.

The Nine Mile is "Detail 5-2" in the link below. You'll need a GPS to find the actual boundary but generally speaking, the accepted open season water is the part of the river which is adjacent to the retaining wall, immediately up from the lake. Years ago, there were signs which marked the upper limit but they're now gone.

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/241285.pdf

This is all I see on it Bud.

Nine Mile River - 100 m (328 ft.) above

Port Albert Fishway - Ashfield Twp.

Fish sanctuary - no fishing from 4th Sat.

in Apr. - May 15 & Sept. 1 - Nov. 30.

There is a second point in the exceptions right after that stating that the river from country rd 86 to Lake Huron is a fish sanctuary and closed until after the opener. That's what has me a little confused.

The mouths of many Lake Huron tributaries are considered part of FMZ 13 ie part of Lake Huron, year-round open season for Steelhead. Of course, in their effort to simplify the regs recently, the MNR have made things more complicated. One has to wade through scores of detailed maps to determine the various boundaries.

The Nine Mile is "Detail 5-2" in the link below. You'll need a GPS to find the actual boundary but generally speaking, the accepted open season water is the part of the river which is adjacent to the retaining wall, immediately up from the lake. Years ago, there were signs which marked the upper limit but they're now gone.

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/241285.pdf

Thanks Wallacio. I remember they would hang chains across the river to mark the areas as well. Sounds like my coworker was correct and a portion is considered to be the lake.

I think I'll play it safe and stick to the Maitland.

Thanks guys.

You need to look up the regs for the lake to find a definition of where the lake starts, and river ends.

I've looked and unless I'm missing it there is nothing that clearly states a boundary other than the mouth of the river exists.

I'm not too concerned. I'll just stick with rivers that I am sure are open...there is enough of them within an hour or two drive time. Better safe than sorry right!

When they update the regs last year they removed the section on what sections of the rivers were open. In the old regs they had a good description....however lots of us up here have looked into it.....they are the same as the old regs, which is

Port Albert - Nine mile- just the mouth, at the beach pond up to the line that use to cross the river, at the wall (about 50m to fish)

Goderich - Maitland - hwy 21 bridge to the lake (about 2Km to fish)

Kincardine - Penetagore - Queen st. bridge down town to lake(about 0.5 - 1km to fish)

Southampton - Saugeen - old bridge abundments near denny's dam down to the lake (about 3-4km to fish)

Sauble Beach - Sauble - a few hundred yards downstream of the falls(basically at the S bend) to the lake (about 2-3km to fish)

All other rivers and streams are basically closed, they didn't have opens seasons in the old regs and still don't. This includes Inverhuron Provincal Park and other creeks around Kincardine.

Bayfield river I think is hwy 21 to the lake for year round.......

I don't like the new regs as it's not describe well and you have to research the old regs to get the proper description. ....