BPS big advert little results

Cudz

My buddy drove to BPS from Guelph to buy the door crasher Quantum reel. He got there at 9am and there was a line. As you walk in they hand out tickets for reel (one per customer) which is fair. Anyway to make a long story short, he figures he was about 30th in line (probably was 50th) and the guy in front of him got the last one (which was a left hander). I guess the early bird gets the worm. I also guess it is not a scam as they did have the reels there but not too many, that is for sure.

Edited by Cudz

good thing i didnt go out then. i was gonna go out and get 2 of the reels. would have been very upset if i had driven there and not gotten anythin.

keep in mind though, the reason THIS reel was chosen as a door crasher, is because it has been discontinued and they just wanted to clear our the stock and make way for the new quantum reels.

How far is Guelph form BPS??

Took me about 45-50 min from guelph, i went to see the trophy trailer and a few tank seminars,bob suzuki as my 12 yr old keeps calling him was there..spend couple bills on nothing..lol hats,shirts,stickers,key chain,hat fish hook was 4.99 each??? get'r'done!! I bought a bigger tackle box plano 7271, couple sling shots for the boys,lol mom didnt like that one. and to think i only wanted camo suspenders for hunter outfit and they didnt even have any! those bradley smokers sure do look good tho, maybe next time.

3hours waiting plus an hour each way?

5 hours of my time is worth more than the two reels, plus I'd have to pay for them.. no thanks. Makes me turn off BPS even more.

I'm going to stick to my new favorite local (not) tackle shop I found in Guelph. THAT is worth driving for.

How so!? Honestly, every retail outlet has "door crasher" sales once in a while, thats how it works... there are limited quantities of an item for a ridiculously good price ... do you honestly expect them to have enough for everyone??

I dont understand some peoples thought process, I guess it sucks when you dont get what you want, but its hardly the fault of BPS...

How so!? Honestly, every retail outlet has "door crasher" sales once in a while, thats how it works... there are limited quantities of an item for a ridiculously good price ... do you honestly expect them to have enough for everyone??

I dont understand some peoples thought process, I guess it sucks when you dont get what you want, but its hardly the fault of BPS...

You are correct Steve. My buddy underestimated how many people would be there at 9am. It is his fault. I was just laughing a bit because the guy in front of him got a reel. I thought they would actually have about 100 of the reels but the US BPS were running the same reel deal there so the TO BPS might have got less reels due to the fact that there are probably busier bigger stores in the states with more baitcaster users (maybe). Plus our sale was later so who knows. Maybe a few of the TO reels got moved elsewhere.

the US stores get items faster then TO, and they usually get more in stock. what i find stupid, is that BPS carries quantum rods and reels in the US, but TO only carries reels, and when i asked them, i was told they couldnt come to an agreement to sell the rods in TO. made NO sense to me at all, and still doesnt.

For me, BP is a waste of time. I've been 4 times, left there 3 times with nothing. I won't be going back there any time soon. I go to my local guy who has everything I need. If he doesn't have it, he'll get it within the week. Works for me.

Sinker

the US stores get items faster then TO, and they usually get more in stock. what i find stupid, is that BPS carries quantum rods and reels in the US, but TO only carries reels, and when i asked them, i was told they couldnt come to an agreement to sell the rods in TO. made NO sense to me at all, and still doesnt.

probably protecting territory with their established distributors. Gloomis is the same way with their rods. New stores only get the low end stuff, if anything, until they can push so many rods out the door. That's why you can't just walk into any fishing store and find IMX and GLX bass sticks on the racks.

I'm with Sinker. I try to buy locally ffirst. The store that i was ready to buy the reel from at the show is a local to me.

Edited by j ace

No I don't expect them to have enough for everyone, but if the few 'deals' that are advertised to bring everyone in have such limited stock... then there's really no point in me either a) going for those deals or B) picking up any of the other merchandise that I'd prefer to get from a 'local' or family run tackle shop. I travel all over southern ontario for work, and make a point of checking out the tackle shops that are in the area I am. I haven't found all that many 'deals' at BPS in the half dozen or so times I've been there.

Plastics and Rapalas are cheaper, but the Rapala price is due in a large part to what I consider unethical business practices; striking a deal with Rapala so they can bring their merchandise in from the states while everyone else is forced to deal with normark canada.

I've also been ticked off to the point ogenerously proportionedrustration with the staff or lack there of, every time I've gone I've got to hunt someone down and then am made to feel like they're doing me a favour. Likely not the staffs fault that they don't have enough people on the floor and I'm sure after 8 hours of customer service I might be a bit crusty too... but I'll vote with my hard earned money and spend it elsewhere.

There IS a lot of variety, and if I want to try out different rods, reels etc I'll combine it with the wifes shopping trip and kill a few hours wandering around.

Maybe I just prefer to cheer for the little guys vs the large American corporations.

Edited by Great Lake Steel

I wanted a 2nd Lowrance X510c for the new boat, so when I heard BPS was having their big sale I called them to see if that particular unit was going on sale and was told by the salesman at the electronics counter that it was no longer being carried by BPS and they wouldn't be getting anymore in.

OK, no big deal, I go to RadioWorld and buy it for $485.

Couple days later, I want a MinnKota on-board charger and call BPS again and am told they have them, regular price is $350 but their on sale for $300 so I head up to get one.

As I'm walking thru the store, I see an ENTIRE SKID of X510's sitting in the middle of the aisle and on sale for $399 .......$86 cheaper than I just payed :angry:........ After the sonar/GPS salesman told me they don't even carry that unit anymore.

I continue on to get my charger only to be told by another salesman that it's selling for $350 but if I mail in the coupon I'll get a $50 rebate. I don't figure it's a sale if I have to mail in a coupon then wait for somebody else to send me a rebate.

I left and went over to LeB's where they had the exact same unit for $300 regular price ....$50 cheaper, and were having a tax free sale so the savings were even greater.

I like BPS and go up several times a year, but find very often that some of the sales staff don't seem to be up on what's happening