3/17/09 pics! w/ Boat Launch Bozo's!!!

Greencoachdog

Got on the water at 11:00 a.m yesterday, it was a beautiful day with lots of sunshine... but the north wind was still chilly. The water temp was between 55-59*F depending where you were.

I fished all over the lake from 10-80 FOW, the only place I could get a bite was from 26-30 FOW... and it was mainly little Blue bait stealer cats with a couple baby Spotted Bass, dinky Channel cats, and a baby Bluegill thrown in.

I had 6 or 7 dozen minnows, and needed every one of them!!! It didn't matter where I went, the bait stealers were there! :angry: ... but it was a pretty day and at least I was catching something! :)

I tried Bass fishing for a little while... they were either not interested or not at home. The only thing I could get a bite on was the Sabiki rig loaded with live minnows.

Things didn't start getting interesting until late afternoon, just as the sun had slipped behind the trees... then the fish were on FIRE!!! I was fishing in 26 FOW and pulling up little blue cats 2 and 3 at a time on the Sabiki! Then I got a good hit! I could tell it wasn't a cat because it wasn't doing the catfish roll, it was zooming from side to side and fighting like crazy... I thought it might be a decent Spot, but was very surprised to see this 14" Crappie come to the top!!!

DSC01714.jpg

DSC01713.jpg

I was still catching the little Blues left and right and thought I had a pretty nice one on, but brought up a small blue and this Crappie (another double) on the same line!

DSC01715.jpg

This pic flashed very soon after iI touched the camera (thought I had the self timer on), I took another pic but it came out even blurrier. :rolleyes:

The action kept up until I ran out of minnows, first time in a long time that I've used up all of my minnows! :thumbsup_anim: It had gotten pretty dark by then and I was putting everything up and getting ready to go back to the launch when I noticed that the 3rd rod I had out with a single homemade 3/8 oz jig (glow chartreuse and black and blue fleck) baited with the baby Bluegill I had caught earlier was snagged because I'd drifter up into shallower water while putting everything away. I backtracked to retrieve the snagged jig and as soon as it pulled free I got a BIG hit!!! I don't know if the Bluegill was still on it or not, but this fish put up the best fight of the day... pulling drag and making me giggle like a school girl!!! :w00t:

Got the to the top, jambed my thumb in it's mouth and could barely see that it was a nice Channel Cat! Threw the fish into the livewell and headed to the launch.

When I got to the launch, it was a disaster of epic proportions!!! There was 8 boats waiting to trailer, and what a circus it was!!! :w00t:

The best episode of "Boat Launch Bozo's" I've seen in a while!!! Somebody backed a truck and trailer down the ramp and another guy in a boat pulls up onto the trailer with people in another boat hollering at him "wrong truck, wrong truck"... he was so anxious to leave he pulled his boat onto the wrong trailer... I had to turn my head and bite my tongue to keep from laughing outloud!!! :w00t: So he backs off the trailer and the right boat goes onto the trailer. You could really tell that most of these folks hadn't had their boats out in a while, trucks and trailer backing down the ramp that looked like drunk snakes, one guy had to pull his boat on and off the trailer 3 times before he got it right. Another guy had a brand new I/O, he backs the trailer down perfectly and gets out of the truck and runs to the boat to pull it on the trailer, his rather large wife hands him the rope and he gets into the boat and pulls it up on the trailer perfectly while his wife runs (or maybe a fast waddle) around to fasten the bow hook... the he fiddles around in the boat for 5 minutes trying to figure out how to tilt the motor up, he gets aggravated and gets out of the boat on the trailer and tells his wife to climb into the boat (from the trailer) to watch and make sure the skeg doesn't drag... well watching her trying to climb into the boat from the trailer was amusing to say the least!She finally makes it into the boat as he starts pulling up the ramp and yells out to her to see if it was going to hit, she runs to the back of the boat (pulling up a steep ramp) and enertia takes over! She hits the back of the boat and I can see her legs go up in the air, she almost goes over when gravity reclaims her and I hear the thud on the bottom of the boat. She hollers out to the husband everything is ok and up the ramp they go!

I opted to wait and be the last one to trailer so I could take pics of my Channel cat and watch the show, it's hard to buy entertainment like that... let alone get it for free!!!

... and here's Mr. Channel Cat!

DSC01720.jpg

DSC01721.jpg

All fish were released to fight another day!

Very nice report Senator! Those slabs are huge and the cat ain't no slouch either. I'd trade you a bunch of slabs and that cat to get into a mess of blues though...we don't have them here.

Some of those launch ramp hijinx are hilarious! Thanks!

.. the he fiddles around in the boat for 5 minutes trying to figure out how to tilt the motor up, he gets aggravated

I pull up to boat launch , Someone in my way ........ :stretcher: I blow fuse ,, Its a boat '' Launch '' ie... Launch boat get out the way ( now )

:P :P :lol: :lol

Oh yeah nice cats and blue crappie ...........