steelheading again

silvio

Its been a few good days of steelheading. Friday I decided to start march break early and head out steelheading with Berge. We talked the night before and agreed to fish a river I’ve never fished and that he hasn’t in a very long time. I woke up at 4:30am packed my truck and was off to grab Berge. After the hour and half drive we were there but not pleased. The river was flowing thick slush, we decided to try anyways. It was hard to get your setup in slush pockets the size of basketballs but when we did we were rewarded. All fish that we got at this river handed us are :asshat: . After a few hours the slush had backed up over the spot so we packet it in and left to explore. We went to 2 other rivers with no luck. It was getting late in the day and we had time for one last river. We talked it out and decided to hit up a river that left us with a sour taste in our mouth last time we were there. We got to the river headed down and it wasn't long before Berge got one. I had forgotten the net so I was forced to go waist deep in water trying to land his fish, after a few grabs of the tail she finally spit the hook. I got back onto the bank and started drifting.

Within a few drifts I had one on and managed to land it.

DSCI0207.jpg

Berge was up next with this one

DSCI0208.jpg

DSCI0210.jpg

I followed with this

DSCI0214.jpg

Me trying to land a fish.

DSCI0217.jpg

After these fish we lost 2 more it was getting late so we called it a day.

With the good fishing we decided to head out again Saturday. We got to the same first river Saturday that we did Friday. The slush had cleared a lot which looked promising. I set up and it wasn’t long I found myself yelling FISH ON followed by coming down…way down … way way way down… followed by a few chosen words when she broke me off. Needless to say I had a great day hooking but not so much landing going 2 for 10.

DSCI0219.jpg

Although the landing ratio was pour I made up for it by landing this pig, hog, cow, whale, anything else you want to call it.

DSCI0220-1.jpg

DSCI0221.jpg

DSCI0222.jpg

DSCI0223.jpg

DSCI0220.jpg

We headed out today hoping for another good day but it wasn’t meant to be. I went 0 for 1 Dave got a few shakers along with Berge.

I will never forget this fish, and Berge’s beautiful net job.

Edited by silvio

Good job Sil!!!!!! that is a pig!!!!!!!! I got my ass kicked by the wind and cold on Sat, then had to change a waterpump in the gf's car today. So much for my weekend of steel, lol

We'll have to get out again and lay a beating on them :)

Great fish! A question, fish in the 2nd 2 pics, the heads look blunter than the big fish, all that I have seen here look like the bigger one but a good bit smaller. More of a longer jaw.

I think what you're referring to is the male/female thing. Mature male steelhead will start to develop a kipe (that whole jaw/mouth change) and show more colour when they are running the rivers for the spawn.

Hey mike put it up against my rod and measured at home it came in at 37 inches. I was impressed with myself to say the least.

It was nice to meet you as well Paul hopefully we can share a few drifts in the near future.

Hey cliff I am happy my wrist healed well but it gives me a ton of problems while out on the tribs hopefully I can find something to help. We were on the same trib yesterday Dave told me he saw you were going to have to meet up soon and put faces to our names.

Thanks everyone for the nice comments.

Hey mike put it up against my rod and measured at home it came in at 37 inches. I was impressed with myself to say the least.

It was nice to meet you as well Paul hopefully we can share a few drifts in the near future.

Hey cliff I am happy my wrist healed well but it gives me a ton of problems while out on the tribs hopefully I can find something to help. We were on the same trib yesterday Dave told me he saw you were going to have to meet up soon and put faces to our names.

Thanks everyone for the nice comments.

37"! crikey! That beats my pb by at least 3! Well done, indeed. You might have missed those others, but obviously they were a warm up for this one. Good job landing the monster :)

http://www.myoan.net/fishing/weight_calc.html

according to the fish weight calculator, if it had a girth of 20" then it was in the 18.5 lb range. I hate to tell you, but it's all downhill from here - your only good chance at bigger than that is out west! lol!

p.-

Edited by Paulus

Dangit Sil,

I was just feeling good about the 34" I caught two weeks ago and you come on here with a 37....where I do find one of THOSE

Fishin this weekend? Im gonna be out friday, and and probably sat and sunday as well

Hey Dave we need to talk tonight so we can get out one day this week after your done work. I am going north for a few days of northern steel since I am on march break. This weekend should be fun hopefully we rail them lol.