Boat fire extinguisher.

Roy

Looking through my boat stuff before I pull her out of hibernation and my fire extinguisher looks brand new. No rust nor dirt on it and the gauge reads full. I've had that one for 3 years, this'll be the 4th season. They don't cost a whole lot so I can get a new one but is there a way to know whether it's still good?

Edit: When you need it is not the time to find out.

J.R. Nerat, technical manager for Kidde, says the shelf life of disposable fire extinguishers is three to 12 years, depending on the model and manufacturer. The fine print on the label will be marked with the rating of the device, in years.

Nerat had me go through an exercise with my own fire extinguisher (of unknown age). With his direction, I found the tank's rating on the label, and then the year of manufacture stamped into the steel on the bottom of the tank. Piece of cake for me, directionally challenged as I am.

To ensure the extinguisher will work when needed, it needs to be within rated age limits; have the recommended charge as indicated on the pressure gauge; and undergo periodic inspection for dents, corrosion and integrity of the safety pin.

Nerat stressed that fire extinguishers (the nonrechargeable type) can be used only once and must immediately be thrown away after even the slightest amount of discharge or "testing."

If you do need a new one, Nerat, who has been in the business for 30 years, suggests buying the largest and best fire extinguisher you can afford.

Nerat's most important fire-extinguisher tip: Take the extinguisher out of the box, mount it so it is accessible, actually read the label and inspect it routinely. Have I done this? No. Mine's still in the box, and the vehicle extinguishers are somewhere under a seat. Don't do that: In a vehicle, it may become lost, inaccessible or an impromptu missile if not secured during even a small accident.

Darrell Hay is a local home inspector and manages several rental properties. Send home-maintenance questions to [email protected]. Sorry, no personal replies.

Copyright © 2007 The Seattle Times Company

Something else to think of too Roy, is the powder in the extinguisher can become packed down after time and may not expel properly when needed, so every once in awhile give the extinguisher a couple knocks against the floor and shake it a few times just to keep the powder loose.

I wonder how many folks have an extinguisher in the car, home or boat and have absolutely no idea how to operate it when the time actually comes.

Just take a few seconds folks and read the label and understand how to operate it, cause when you've got flames licking up your leg, it's too late to try and figure it out.

Roy, if it is a dry chemical type, I was told by a boat inspector that you should turn it upside down once a year and give it a tap with a hard rubber mallet or something similar. This is to insure that the powder hasn't caked in the bottom.

Thanks guys, very helpful indeed...and not only to me I hope.

Lew, you're right as rain. I'm sure there are some folks who think that all they need is to have the extinguisher on the boat. Kinda like the guy who buys a new vehicle and never reads the manual nor tries to figure out how the jack works or even where the spare is located.

Thanks again, very helpful.

The extinguisher that came with my Lund didn't last two summers. A observant , and friendly ,OPP officer noticed it when he stopped us on the lake one day . B)

I have heard that when they are mounted horizontaly ( like mine) it can shorten the life .

TB

The extinguisher that came with my Lund didn't last two summers. A observant , and friendly ,OPP officer noticed it when he stopped us on the lake one day . B)

I have heard that when they are mounted horizontaly ( like mine) it can shorten the life .

TB

here is a question then.....did you get written up for it..if so, do you have a built in gas tank?...if not it is not manditory, although a smart idea to have one aboard :Gonefishing:

Alot of extinguishers just seem to have lousy seals in them and allow the air pressure to escape. I always carry 2 in my truck and one of them lost pressure after a couple years so I bought another from CTC and that only lasted about a month, so I returned it for another and that one lost pressure in a couple months too.

The 2 I have now are fine, but just pay attention to the pressure guage and check it once in awhile to be sure it'll work when you need it.

Any boat with a built-in gas tank needs one by law but their cheap insurance no matter what type of boat your using. Even if it doesn't help you in an emergency, you could certainly help a fellow boater out and for about $25 their certainly worth having.

Here's a little tip for you too.

If you or anyone else has a fire, whether it's in your boat, car, or anywhere else and you have more than one extinguisher available, don't use them all at once. Try putting out the fire with only one extinguisher then wait and see if it flares up again and if it does, you've still got more extinguishers available to try a 2nd time.

If everybody uses theirs at the same time and it flares up again......which often happens ........you've got no back-ups left.

Edited by lew

here is a question then.....did you get written up for it..if so, do you have a built in gas tank?...if not it is not manditory, although a smart idea to have one aboard :Gonefishing:

My boat does have a built in tank , so an extinguisher is required.

The officer was very pleasant , we actually chatted with him and his MNR partner for quite some time , even scored 4 free whistles! I am a firm beliver that if you give a good attitude you will get one in return.

I like the second extinguisher idea that Lew mentioned . Cheap insurance.

TB

All fire extinguishers have a retest date.

Turn the fire extinguisher over and you will see the two digit code for the year.

You can have them retested and certified if you know someone in the business :whistling: or simply purchase a new one.

Inspect them monthly and give 'em a good smack on the bottom with a rubber mallet to keep the powder from settling.

If you look at how small a fire extinguisher typically is for marine use do you really think its enough when it comes to protecting your family and investment.

Never carry just the "minimum requirement" for safety gear.

Just my $0.02 ;)