Small Bodies of Water - Advice Needed

sneak_e_pete

Hi, I have a small 12 ft. aluminum and am looking for some small (i.e. relatively safe) bodies of water to fish on....mainly for bass, but walleye would be good too. Rivers and small lakes preferably. I live in the Hamilton area. Right now, all I can think of is the Grand River, Guelph Lake and the small river that runs off of Scugog into Lindsay.

I would appreciate any bodies of water you can name that are within approximately 3 hours of Hamilton/Toronto.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Easiest thing to do is get out a map and draw out a 100km radius circle. From Hamilton that should give you 50-60 different bodies of water to discover and explore with that small boat. Just up the mountain from you are Mountsberg, Valens, Puslinch, Belwood. The GRCA have a a few spots that aren't bad either.

I got this great map book at Wal-mart the other day. It shows a lot of back roads and trails and describes fishing in a good number of the lakes.

HERE is the map book for your area if you can't find it at Wal-mart. I wouldn't take the fishing reports as gospel but it gives you an idea of what is in the lake.

;) Hi Pete If one can slide up no.6 hwy. there is some mighty fine bass fishing up here in grey county.There is some great bass lakes up here .Lake Euginia for example and some smaller ones that a small tinny might navigate.Not many eyes up here but further up the bruce there is some in the small lakes.The small picture is me holding an average bass up here. Good luck on your choice. Steve

hey mavrick what walmart did you buy the book and was it the 2nd edition? Thanks Check my walmart and they didn't have any.

I got the "Algonquin Region Backroad Mapbook 2nd Ed." from the Walmart in North Bay. It was the same price as they offer on their site. I didn't see the fishing specific books at walmart so i might be making an online order for another book or 2 for different regions.

A twelve footer may not be an open water boat, but much of the fishing anywhere is around the edges.

You can launch behind Hutch's on Bay Street North and fish for Perch, Bass, Pike, Sheepshead, Carp and Catfish all in your own back yard.

In two hours you can drive to Peterborough and fish the Otonabee River and the Kawartha Lakes.

In two hours and forty-five minutes you can be as far north as Bancroft, if you follow #28 north from #7 just East of Peterborough.

On that drive you will have passed dozens of cottage lakes with good fishing.

Get the Cottage Country version of the Back Roads map book.

If you decide to head for Peterborough PM me.

I live on #28 between Lakefield and Bancroft and will help you find some good small lakes.

spiel where do you lauch your small boat? How far down river do you move away from queenston launch. Thanks

I launch at the Queenston ramp I just head downstream from there. I don't drift the back eddy as it can get a little hairy at the top end.

I launch at the Queenston ramp I just head downstream from there. I don't drift the back eddy as it can get a little hairy at the top end.

yep not the spot for a 12 footer on the back drift...this winter there has been people out there..3 people I might add, in one of those folding porta-boats :blink::asshat: