Done His Tour! YAY!

fishergirl72

I was talking to my sister last night and we all got word that my brother-in-law is now done his tour and he is on his way home! :D He left Afganhistan sometime last week but they had to go to Cyprus for a week for counselling etc. This has been a long, hard and gruelling 6 months for our family and countless other familes that have a member serving there. I wanted to express my sincere thanks to everyone here that gave their prayers and thank you's! That means more, then you will ever know. I guess all the prayers have worked and they were answered, because he is coming home safe and sound! :thumbsup_anim: There are some awful things that he has been through and seen and I hope that he will be able to work through them through time. All of the men and women of our military are ALL hero's in my eyes. They did a great job over there and I am very proud of him and our military. :thumbsup_anim: The next rotation left Monday from Gagetown and my thoughts and prayers are with them for a safe return. Thank you all again for the support you have shown in the last 6 months! You guys are the best! :thumbsup_anim::thumbsup_anim:

Edited by fishergirl72

That's the best news I've heard all day!

It must feel like you've been holding your breath for six months and you can finally exhale. I wish we could bring 'em all back!

-Brian

That's exactly the way it felt Slowpoke! :o I forget how it feels to breathe normal again.LOL. I wish that they could all come back too but they want to be there because in their mind it is their job and they are going to do it being a proud Canadian and doing it for their country and if they pull out early, all the men and women that have died doing their job, died for nothing. That is how their mind is set.

It's always good news when a soldier comes home safely !!

Yes it is Lew, VERY good news and thank you for the support you have shown! :thumbsup_anim:

I for one would like to offer my gratitude to your brother-in-law. Our forces seem to be underappreciated here. I for one am very grateful we have such courageous men and women in our forces making our world a better place.Glad to hear he's coming back safe and sound. I think a little fishing is in order to help put his mind at ease.

Great news and yes, us Candaians should be very proud of our Canadain soldiers that everywhere in world!! WTG!! :thumbsup_anim:

Rob C

Thanks Rob! I know that I am dang proud to be a Canadian! It is about time that we show the world what we are made of and we won't back down for no one or nothing! :thumbsup_anim: And our military are showing EXACTLY that! :thumbsup_anim:

After 25 yrs and doing Tours in Iraq/Kuwait, Bosnia, Croatia, Masadonia, I figured with my age and physical detoriation (Bad knees) and financial situation it was time to Retire. Although the tours may of not been Afghanistan, My family worrried as a great part of my job was mine and Unexploded Ordance Disposal. If that was not dangerous enough, the next building to us was rocketed, Our 3 Bisons were targeted for Motars in Croatia as we drove through what was known as Sniper Alley. I also laugh at how stupid I was when I drove through a Serb checkpoint as he was about to check the back of the Vehical. I probably didnt get shot only because I gave him a cigarrette just to amuse him... My point is, The Forces are so Professional that we are the envie to many countrys. We have been tasked by othe countries Nato and UN because we are dependable and will get the job done. I have sat back after breaching an obstacle for the Infantry and was amazed how hard they pushed on. I would take a Canadian Infanteer before any so called American Special forces. And there are No Movies about us. I hate to say this, but from a Soldiers view Afghanistan is the best thing for us. Just like the Falklands did for the Brits (a small war), There was only one thing that will help our Soldiers. Regretably, casualties. We have new clothing, new vehicals, kept our tanks(what Idiot could even think of phasing them out), rewrote our books that are outdated, but most importantly, made people realize we need an Army, Sometimes to Kill. Too often we have been put in a position that we need a Lawyer to figure out our Rules of engagement. (UN and Canadian politics). We should be like a guard dog, go over the line and you bite(shoot) put yourself in a position between Inmates and Natives. Bottom line, I am proud of our Soldiers, despite human rights filtering into the system as if we are unionized citizens, I have every confidence the the next generation will do us proud as they are doing in Afghanistan. I only wished that my comrades were apprecitad and reconized as they deserved. Again casualties make people think. Fisher Girl, Im glad he is back. Now he can mellow out for awhile before he will be called upon to due his duty again, too often. You may find a change in him, but deep inside he is the same person that left. Dont be surprised if he is predudiced, remember he probably has seen things that we could not believe a human being could do to another person. Our soldiers show compassion and if they could will help anybody in need. They are Canadian. Im proud of our forces and would never give the 25yrs I have given. Unfortunately I and so many others sacrificed our familys. I will never get back what I lost seeing my 3 daughters grow up. I think about what I lost all the time. Thanks for the thread

After 25 yrs and doing Tours in Iraq/Kuwait, Bosnia, Croatia, Masadonia, I figured with my age and physical detoriation (Bad knees) and financial situation it was time to Retire. Although the tours may of not been Afghanistan, My family worrried as a great part of my job was mine and Unexploded Ordance Disposal. If that was not dangerous enough, the next building to us was rocketed, Our 3 Bisons were targeted for Motars in Croatia as we drove through what was known as Sniper Alley. I also laugh at how stupid I was when I drove through a Serb checkpoint as he was about to check the back of the Vehical. I probably didnt get shot only because I gave him a cigarrette just to amuse him... My point is, The Forces are so Professional that we are the envie to many countrys. We have been tasked by othe countries Nato and UN because we are dependable and will get the job done. I have sat back after breaching an obstacle for the Infantry and was amazed how hard they pushed on. I would take a Canadian Infanteer before any so called American Special forces. And there are No Movies about us. I hate to say this, but from a Soldiers view Afghanistan is the best thing for us. Just like the Falklands did for the Brits (a small war), There was only one thing that will help our Soldiers. Regretably, casualties. We have new clothing, new vehicals, kept our tanks(what Idiot could even think of phasing them out), rewrote our books that are outdated, but most importantly, made people realize we need an Army, Sometimes to Kill. Too often we have been put in a position that we need a Lawyer to figure out our Rules of engagement. (UN and Canadian politics). We should be like a guard dog, go over the line and you bite(shoot) put yourself in a position between Inmates and Natives. Bottom line, I am proud of our Soldiers, despite human rights filtering into the system as if we are unionized citizens, I have every confidence the the next generation will do us proud as they are doing in Afghanistan. I only wished that my comrades were apprecitad and reconized as they deserved. Again casualties make people think. Fisher Girl, Im glad he is back. Now he can mellow out for awhile before he will be called upon to due his duty again, too often. You may find a change in him, but deep inside he is the same person that left. Dont be surprised if he is predudiced, remember he probably has seen things that we could not believe a human being could do to another person. Our soldiers show compassion and if they could will help anybody in need. They are Canadian. Im proud of our forces and would never give the 25yrs I have given. Unfortunately I and so many others sacrificed our familys. I will never get back what I lost seeing my 3 daughters grow up. I think about what I lost all the time. Thanks for the thread

Holdfast, Thank you so much for sharing that! I cannot speak for everyone, but myself I am soooo thankful for what our military (past and present) has done for us and our country! They have my upmost respect! I am teaching my daughter about our military and what they have done. She watched her uncle last August pack up to go away on his tour and had so many questions for him on why he was going away and if he is coming home (she is only 5 years old) I agree with you 100% in everything that you said. When he was home for his 3 week leave, we noticed a change in him. He was more snippy, rough around the edges so to speak but we understand why. We cannot imagine what he has been through or what he has seen, he has told us some stuff but it has too be so hard on them and to come home to another way of life. I know that during his tour, one of the veichles that he was driving had a rocket gernade go through his truck but thankfully the dang thing did not go off! I am glad he can now come home and watch his new daughter grow! And Holdfast, Thank you for everything that you sacrificed for our country! :thumbsup_anim:

:thumbsup_anim: And thank him for me too. I agree, some fishing is in order now.

I will give your thanks to him Joonmoon! :thumbsup_anim:

That is great news FG!! Glad to hear that he is coming home safe. My nephew just joined the army in January. Hopefully the afghan conflict will be completed before he sees any time overseas. :thumbsup_anim:

Thank you very much Squid!! :D You nephew just made a unselfish decision and I know he will do well! But he might have to go there afterall, the war was said not to be completed until 2009 and they really want to bring more of our soliders there.

Fishergirl, great news for you and your family. Thank him for us when he gets home and hope he enjoys some great quiet relaxing time with his new baby (how is she doing btw??)

Thank you so much steve_paul for the support that you have shown me and my family in the last 6 months! Deanna (the baby) is doing great! All she wants to do is eat and she is VERY vocal.LOL She has gained over 4 lbs this month and I know he misses his little "peanut" like crazy! :D

Edited by fishergirl72

Fantastic news, it's people like him that are the real heros!

Thank you Garyv! :D You are so right!

Great news! My best friend`s youngest son was an Army Ranger and got to visit there a few times, much better to have him safe back here!

Thanks OhioFisherman! I know what you mean, I understnad what his job is and what it requires but we are sooo glad to have him home! :thumbsup_anim: