"R" bend spinnerbaits/buzzbaits

bassjnkie

I just tie them straight on..I find if you use a snap or a swivel it goofs up the action of the lure..you want it to run as straight as you can...even after I catch a couple fish on one, I toss it out to check the action, if it is not running true, I bend the wire until I get the straightest action I can.

I use surgical tubing from an aquarium services store. Gotta have the good vibrations from the "R" bend.

Wouldn't that inhibit the vibrations? Seems to me adding anything is gonna alter the flow of water over/past the lure. A twist in the wire would be less disruptive.

JF

Does anyone know why there is an R bend? Why aren't they all closed loops?

Jim

The action as stated above and also the line can get caught in the twisted loop causing a breakage on the hook set. Happened to me a couple times.

I would tie direct, even for toothy critters. I can't remember the last time I got bit off by a pike or musky on a spinnerbait, doesn't happen very often compared to getting bit off on like a jig or soft plastic.

The action as stated above and also the line can get caught in the twisted loop causing a breakage on the hook set. Happened to me a couple times.

I would tie direct, even for toothy critters. I can't remember the last time I got bit off by a pike or musky on a spinnerbait, doesn't happen very often compared to getting bit off on like a jig or soft plastic.

I agree, the spinner baits are big enough that I rarely get any spinner baits bitten off by pike and muskies as well

I just use a snap directly on the wire. In the vast majority of casts the snap will slide down to the R Bend where it belongs. I do occassionly have the snap slide up the spinner; but it doesn't happen often enough to bothered adding any sort of contraption to prevent it.

I agree, the spinner baits are big enough that I rarely get any spinner baits bitten off by pike and muskies as well

....I loose, on average, 3-5 spinner baits everytime I fish loughborough lake from pike. :wallbash:

I get told all the time though, it's always just me! Reading this, they must be right! ;)

Cheers,

Paul

Well I did the silicone and thread thing and headed off to The Ponds, there was only a little open water, but enough to test them out. Put it this way, the snap idea is not for me, I just didn't like the feel. I think I will just buy a few more rods and tie directly to the bait like I always did.

Anyways thanks for all the suggestions and ideas.