Opening trout in algonquin park

brookie87

Only two months until trout opens!

the best time of year for this god worthy fish. the most pretigious prize in the waters of earth. ok enough! the Brook Trout, or speckled trout. Algonquin park is quite possibly the best place to fish this fish ive ever been, and i want to try someplace new. ive fished multiple lakes along the brent access road (deux riviere) - tecumseh, gilmour, brant, north river lake, merganzer and a few more. Ill let a couple little secret fishin holes slip if you return the favor. like where i caught a 4 lb brookie, or where i caught 15 specks within 40 mins.. if anyone wants to give me some good ideas im all ears!

thanks!

Grand Lake to Caracajou Lake using the Portage trails through spectacle Lakes. Don't waste time fishing till you get to Wenda. However the creeks will guarantee little Brookies. Wenda Lake you can rent a Cabin and Canoe as there is a direct Access via steep Hill from across Grand Lake. I always wanted to Try Rowan also as it is little known. Access is East Gate Petawawa. If you try it let me know how you make out.

My folks have a cottage on Grand Lake, made the walk into Wenda a few times. Def. a tough portage, but worth the trip. Also fished Rowan a couple of times never had much luck but that was mid summer. Where Caracajou Lake dumps into Grand there is a set of water falls there, definately a worth a couple of casts there!! The entrance to this side of the park is the Sand Lake gate house.

My folks have a cottage on Grand Lake, made the walk into Wenda a few times. Def. a tough portage, but worth the trip. Also fished Rowan a couple of times never had much luck but that was mid summer. Where Caracajou Lake dumps into Grand there is a set of water falls there, definately a worth a couple of casts there!! The entrance to this side of the park is the Sand Lake gate house.

I believe what your talking about is Caracajou BAY. Cast there then go straight to Wenda then start fishing. There is Little Caracjou Lake where I caught some Beauty Speckies with a piece of worm and Wedding Band and a couple portages further is the main Lake. I knew a guy that fished Rowan and had good luck for Lakers. Time of the year I guess.

Wow nice to have a Cottage on Grand Lake, Lucky you. I never really did have any luck on Grand, way too big and deep for a canoe.

Edited by holdfast

Grand Lake is a big lake even for a boat when the wind picks up. I really haven't had much luck in Grand either, there is Lake trout in it but not huge numbers. Have caught a few over the years. Also some whitefish. There is huge perch though, we go out to the big weed beds and catch 14+" perch consistently.

Last spring we stayed on Pen Lake went to Welcome, Harry, Rence, and Clydegale Lakes and also paddled up the South Madawaska River.

The first portage into the Welcome/Harry/Rence chain is just over 2 km but worth the effort.

We didn't do too well on the lakes but had great luck in rapids, fast runs over beaver dams and creek mouths on the lakes.

I was fly fishing and my daughter was using small spinners, the brookies were very aggressive.

I can dig up some GPS positions if you are interested.

Still trying to make our minds up on where to go this spring.

Dan

med_gallery_347_479_17730.jpg

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

i'm more of a lake superior park guy but i feel your excitement about the pending open water season. fishing with black fury spinners just after ice out is one of my favourite times of year. agressive hits from fish holding right in the trees.

I have 5 days booked on black fox lake with my son. A 5 km portage to start is going to be grueling but should be fun. Anyone fished it before? I could use some details.

I've fished it a few times, but when I did there were no designated campsite on Blackfox thus you were not able to "book" the lake nor "legally" camp on it.

It's a small heavily stocked lake and easy to read. No spot in particular stood out, they were all over. Work the shoreline and cast to any downed timber...

(If you're going in on the opener you can traditionally expect lots of company)

I always wanted to Try Rowan also as it is little known.

Nice little lake...heavily stocked with Splake these days, And an unmaintained portage that can be a bit soggy depending on the weather LOL!

Grand Lake is a big lake even for a boat when the wind picks up

I'll second that LOL...

Last year the week after opener the north wind got the lake rocking with some decent crests for our trip home......

Nothing like a low riding canoe in heavy cross winds, and driving snow while being rolled around in "fizzing" 0.01 degress cresting swells LOL!

A wee bit nerve racking but we made it across with some numb hands, and shakey knee's

be safe out there, Algonquin can be unforgiving in the early season.

Nice little lake...heavily stocked with Splake these days, And an unmaintained portage that can be a bit soggy depending on the weather LOL!

I'll second that LOL...

Last year the week after opener the north wind got the lake rocking with some decent crests for our trip home......

Nothing like a low riding canoe in heavy cross winds, and driving snow while being rolled around in "fizzing" 0.01 degress cresting swells LOL!

A wee bit nerve racking but we made it across with some numb hands, and shakey knee's

be safe out there, Algonquin can be unforgiving in the early season.

Yea I got caught in the Middle crossing towards Caracajou Bay. I almost soiled my pants. Sad about that Famous Tree that Tom Thompson painted that some City-Iot cut down with his chainsaw.

Edited by holdfast

I have 4 nights booked on Booth Lake in July. This is my first trip to the park! I cant wait.

Has anyone fished Booth or any of the surrounding lakes? I plan to make some day trips foe sure.

Cheers !

Thanks for the reply!!

The North river is a good place to catch brookies. the closer to the lake the better. you wont catch much in the lake tho. more lake trout than brookies. the far end you should land some specks under some logs. im thinking of going north up the river/creek to little north river lake. I heard some temping rumours. its not in the park tho. If you have the time its worth going up to merganzer lake, its a nice small quiet lake just a quick portage out of north river lakes south bay. you shoud catch a few. but, theres not very many, but the ones that bite are big! i landed this 3.5lb fish at 6am trolling with a worm tipped gold panther martin

IMG_NEW.jpg

Gilmour and Brant can be good. the river between the two lakes is kinda fun, shallow sandy bottom easy to spook the fish cuz the water is kinda fast. its tough to paddle back up to gilmour. at the far end Brant theres some willing spleckles along the rock wall. we could played with em all day. pretty small, under a pound. a few are a pound - 2 pounds nice fish. gilmour lake is nice. some brookies and lakers. nice spot for a beachfire.

Yeah ive been in he sand lake gate too, we went to eucstach (if thats how you spell it) if you can make it all the way to greenleaf theres monster small mouth and a few lakers. gruleing portage 4.4 kms

anyone hear of little north river lake tho? thanks alot guys!

Thanks for the reply!!

The North river is a good place to catch brookies. the closer to the lake the better. you wont catch much in the lake tho. more lake trout than brookies. the far end you should land some specks under some logs. im thinking of going north up the river/creek to little north river lake. I heard some temping rumours. its not in the park tho. If you have the time its worth going up to merganzer lake, its a nice small quiet lake just a quick portage out of north river lakes south bay. you shoud catch a few. but, theres not very many, but the ones that bite are big! i landed this 3.5lb fish at 6am trolling with a worm tipped gold panther martin

IMG_NEW.jpg

Gilmour and Brant can be good. the river between the two lakes is kinda fun, shallow sandy bottom easy to spook the fish cuz the water is kinda fast. its tough to paddle back up to gilmour. at the far end Brant theres some willing spleckles along the rock wall. we could played with em all day. pretty small, under a pound. a few are a pound - 2 pounds nice fish. gilmour lake is nice. some brookies and lakers. nice spot for a beachfire.

Yeah ive been in he sand lake gate too, we went to eucstach (if thats how you spell it) if you can make it all the way to greenleaf theres monster small mouth and a few lakers. gruleing portage 4.4 kms

anyone hear of little north river lake tho? thanks alot guys!

Yea I tried Eustach (spelling) ( Deepest lake in Algonquin I believe) also and caught just a couple of speckles but its like fishing in a volcano as it drops so much. But we Caught lots of nice small mouth around there. I'm thinking we might of been following either the petawawa or Barron River fishing the Minni lakes along the way. It was a long time ago and my first trip.