Favourite "Up North" Town

Radnine

A lot of great places on or near Highway #17 have already been mentioned, but they're too far from the "Big Smoke" for me. I like the North Kawarthas because you have the lower property cost, low taxes, clean water and plenty of great fishing without the five to eight hour drive to actually reach "Northern Ontario."

I would say BALA. I always have a blast when I go there. A portion of the weekend is always a haze due to generous portions of alcohol. :thumbsup_anim: Seems like a good idea at the time but always regret it the next day.... :wallbash: headache.

I guess Bala is a good town. Don't seem to remember too much from my visits there :whistling:

Hearst has more cutie little Francophones than any across the 11 I've visited.

For fishing... Nipigon would be a sweet little early retirement area. ;)

Moonbeam... for the muchachitas and the back country lakes..

Kenora is very nice also.. I'd go once a week when I worked on a fishing lodge in LOTW. Think I might just settle there one day!

Goddun Jim!

for a big town i would say North bay.It has everything you could want and is surrounded by great fishing opportunities. For a small village Restoule I have been going there for 20 years now and will be again this summer.

Edited by bowslayer

Haven`t been to many towns up there Parry Sound, Sudbury, can`t count Pointe Au Baril not big enough to be a town? Some place around Rice lake and Beaver lake when I was a kid, can`t even remember the names of them. All were nicer than Cleveland! Was in Gravenhurst once also, buddy`s uncle had a gas station dinner there, also nice.

Hi guys

Just joined today and must say, awesome sight!! thanks

I lived in Sioux Lookout for 3 years and awesome walleye for sure; returned home to Coldwater/Orillia and am now partial to Gloucester Pool/Severn River south of Big Chute Marine Railway......bass all over the place..

thanks for all the great reads on here..

cheers

there is a town in north ontario, with dream comfort memory to spare, in my mind i still need a place to go, all my changes were there ~ Neil Young

that town for me would be Callander Ontario

I spent a considerable amount of time in Callander in my teens when I lived in Astorville. I would have to say that Sudbury is my favorite northern town. I've got great friends there and the fishing just outside of the city can be amazing.

Edited by Billy - Curtiss

I lived just outside of Toronto (Mississauga) for over five years, and I was homesick for Sudbury the whole time. I always knew that living down there was only temporary for me and that I'd come home some day. If I was still living down there I'm pretty sure I'd have blown my brains out by now.

Anyone ever hear of Capreol? It's just outside of Sudbury. There are endless miles of bush roads and quad trails back there. I wish I was there right now.

I lived just outside of Toronto (Mississauga) for over five years, and I was homesick for Sudbury the whole time. I always knew that living down there was only temporary for me and that I'd come home some day. If I was still living down there I'm pretty sure I'd have blown my brains out by now.

Anyone ever hear of Capreol? It's just outside of Sudbury. There are endless miles of bush roads and quad trails back there. I wish I was there right now.

Yeah dude. Ever fish Hunter Lake up past Moose Mountain?!

Edited by Billy - Curtiss

McKenzie Island and Red Lake.

Great people, great fishing, great bars, great hunting, Lived on the island for twenty years, and was minutes away away from my favourite fishing hole. From the house by my island truck to the dock and out to my fishing hole in five minutes or less, with my fifty hp.

To-day it's a hot mining community (Goldcorp and Cambpell Red Lake Mines) and unfortunately the Gold Eagle Hotel on McKenzie Island is long shut down.

Bobcaygeon is our Happy place. Has everything Debbe and I need for a happy retirement. We have a little place in town up there we use as a summer cottage and plan on moving in full time when we retire. Can walk to everything in town and lots of things to do and places to fish. Taxes are less then 1/3 what I pay in Oshawa so that's a bonus too.

I worked for the MNR in the early 80's based on Helen Lake outta Nipigon. Also worked Fire crew outta Armstrong for part of that summer as well. These would be my 2nd choices...but a little too far off the beaten track for Debbe I think...especially Armstrong!!!!

I'm probably biased, and it's not really "up-north", but my 'new' hometown of Ennismore is just like paradise (especially having grown up in Mississauga).

Nestled right amidst the Tri-Lakes, almost totally surrounded by water: Pigeon to the west, Buckhorn to the north and Chemong to the east.