Favourite "Up North" Town

Radnine

Excellent timing for this thread. My plan for next summer is to start hauling my good wife to some of these towns in hopes she'll be smitten and agree to buying a modest little place for us to use in the summer. We're close enough to retired now and we both have retirement work that we can do from pretty much anywhere in Ontario with a bit of planning. I'm less excited about a sandy beach than a nice rocky shore, preferably lots of different ones, and a few bass, pike, and pickerel would be fine. I might even get her interested in fishing again. Keep the suggestions coming.

JF

Congratulations! And good luck with your search.

I dunno if I have a favourite town, but there are certain places that I pass that means I am on my way!!! Port Severn for example when the Canadian shield really starts to show it's face. Any of the dirt sideroads I hit when chasing specs, just can't beat the smell for some reason...

For me, it's Sturgeon Falls. Since I was about 13 years old my dad, brother and I have been making the trip to Nip/Upper French launching out of there. As fate would have it, years later I met TJ, his wonderful wife Monique and the kids, Avery and Jaden. I treasure their friendship and look forward to travelling there for years to come.

Guest skeeter99

I would say kapuskasing

all the lakes up there are 100 walleye a day lakes, with huge pike if you get bored of walleye fishing

and the strip club in town the name eludes me at the moment

but in order for the stripper to dance you had to put a quarter in the jukebox, great times

I'm in one of my better ones so far. Great brook lake splake and rainbow trout fishing North, bass pike walleye and perch East, whitefish salmon and steelhead in town... got everything I want.

my vote is for Haliburton .... beautiful town ...lots of lakes to fish, beautiful landscape close to Algonquin Park

not as pretentious as the muskokas ... at least not yet ...

view overlooking the town of Haliburton around thanksgiving weekend

haliburton.jpg

mines gonna have to be the little town of matachewan, my crew and i have had alot of good memories in this little mining town, used to have an absolute blast at the bar, the people are friendly the views are great and its in the middle of nowhere. just the way i like it.

jason

my vote is for Haliburton .... beautiful town ...lots of lakes to fish, beautiful landscape close to Algonquin Park

not as pretentious as the muskokas ... at least not yet ...

view overlooking the town of Haliburton around thanksgiving weekend

haliburton.jpg

I'll have to agree there jds63, as well as Dorset. When ever I've spent time on Halls Lake, which has been plenty, I've always found myself in those 2 towns for a visit or 2. Plus the ice cream is great in Dorset, and the lookout tower there is phenomenal too.

For me, I would have to say any town "up north"

I only made my first visit to the north a couple years ago, and now I try and make it at least once or twice a year. Up north to me is anywhere 75-100 miles north of the GTA or so ! haha

I love being surrounded by trees and water and wilderness... Ive travelled quite a bit for my age(23) Thailand, england, vancouver, mexico, blah blah blah..... NOTHING compares to the great north... In my opinion at least.

Hearst has more cutie little Francophones than any across the 11 I've visited.

For fishing... Nipigon would be a sweet little early retirement area. ;)

Drew, Hearst has always been like that!! I remember a couple of Hockey tournaments there when I was in my teens. (30 some years ago) Tabernac I was glad to be French!!!!!!

I would say BALA. I always have a blast when I go there. A portion of the weekend is always a haze due to generous portions of alcohol. :thumbsup_anim: Seems like a good idea at the time but always regret it the next day.... :wallbash: headache.