Favourite "Up North" Town

Radnine

OK, this is definitely a winter subject. What is your favourite "Up North" type town?

Those of you from the north might not get this at all, but your towns and bodies of water hold a fascination to those of us that are not.

Mine is Bobcaygeon Ontario.

I know that it is not really the north, but it is a place that I have very fond memories of, and where the cottage/fishing lifestyle was implanted in my brain. I remember walking along the break-wall down Front Street to the damn, and sitting on the railings at the locks looking at boats and girls. I didn't realize it at the time, but I was goal setting.

I now take my family (and my boat) there whenever I can. We still love walking through town on a sunny day and fishing for everything in Sturgeon Lake. What makes it even better now is that I get to enjoy a pint of draft on a patio bar somewhere. :clapping:

Sorry if this comes off as a little juvenile, put it down to cabin fever.

Jim

Nothing juvenile about it at all. A good part of my growing up was the Muskokas. I still love the small towns, although most are slowly dying. Coldwater, Mactier, Waubushene and Honey Harbour were bustling towns in their day. I miss the pier at Jackson's Point. I have had great times in Haliburton and Minden. Have a soft spot for the Soo. It's all about the fun and the memories we attach to these places. I still haven't seen 10% of this province or fished 1% of it's lakes, but I'm working on it.

Bancroft, nice town with neat little shops, Thomas Oliver's tavern, the Timmies has the best view of any I've ever been in ( last week we sat there watching guys climbing the cliff directly across the street) and the the town is very ATV and snowmobile friendly with a main trail running right through town.

Armstrong on the cnr tracks N/E of Thunder Bay. So many of my expeditions have begun or ended there, it holds a lot of memories for me.

ya just gotta head north to the 72km marker and go fish jackfish lake and river, some nice pickeral in there and the pelicans have added some nice scenery

Bancroft, nice town with neat little shops, Thomas Oliver's tavern, the Timmies has the best view of any I've ever been in ( last week we sat there watching guys climbing the cliff directly across the street) and the the town is very ATV and snowmobile friendly with a main trail running right through town.

If you want some spectacular views of the Eagles Nest go out Airport Rd. It gives a stunning view from a distance.

Take a drive out 28 East or do the loop through Maynooth to Combermere and back through 28 East. Fall is the best time. You can also take Boulter Rd. off of 28 East and follow it through Carlow...awesome valley views to the east.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

I will second Drifter's vote for Nipigon. I was on a work trip up there two years ago and was able to finish ONLY after 4-5pm.

In the lower nipigon near the highway we caught silver steelies that were shaped like footballs. A short drive to frazer lake (a drive to spot) and we could catch our limit of walleye in no time. we've had 4 people fishing in a 14 foot boat jigging one and and we still caught limits. the stretch of salmonid streams in the area are prettier than any other i've worked on in the great lakes...

oh yeah, did i mention the nipigon river! fishing that river was incredible. our around average brookie was over 3 lbs with one coming in at 6. my partner also caught a few nice big whities on his flyrod and fought about a 10 lb laker to the side of our small boat.

it is seriously a paradise.

I will second Drifter's vote for Nipigon. I was on a work trip up there two years ago and was able to finish ONLY after 4-5pm.

In the lower nipigon near the highway we caught silver steelies that were shaped like footballs. A short drive to frazer lake (a drive to spot) and we could catch our limit of walleye in no time. we've had 4 people fishing in a 14 foot boat jigging one and and we still caught limits. the stretch of salmonid streams in the area are prettier than any other i've worked on in the great lakes...

oh yeah, did i mention the nipigon river! fishing that river was incredible. our around average brookie was over 3 lbs with one coming in at 6. my partner also caught a few nice big whities on his flyrod and fought about a 10 lb laker to the side of our small boat.

it is seriously a paradise.

Don't forget the giant Lakers and Brookies in Lake Nipigon.

OK, this is definitely a winter subject. What is your favourite "Up North" type town?

Those of you from the north might not get this at all, but your towns and bodies of water hold a fascination to those of us that are not.

Jim.... I don't get it!! J/K LOL

Up here where I live in the Outaouais, I'm surrounded by so many bodies of water, it's incredible and to answer your question I'll say the Outaouais Valley.

Jacques

Well i live in Orillia and its my favorite town. I can't ask for a better location awesome winter sports and amazing spring summer and fall attractions. Plus I'm 5 mins from some of the best smallmouth fishing. And only 1hr from any other lakes on the kawartha's

Excellent timing for this thread. My plan for next summer is to start hauling my good wife to some of these towns in hopes she'll be smitten and agree to buying a modest little place for us to use in the summer. We're close enough to retired now and we both have retirement work that we can do from pretty much anywhere in Ontario with a bit of planning. I'm less excited about a sandy beach than a nice rocky shore, preferably lots of different ones, and a few bass, pike, and pickerel would be fine. I might even get her interested in fishing again. Keep the suggestions coming.

JF