Fly-fishing

Radnine

I watched a fly casting seminar at the fishing show. And I watched Mercer's episode on fly fishing for Gar.

My question is this: What is up with the line everywhere?

I also saw that show called "What a Catch", and the host was fly fishing in the middle of a grassy field. She stood about 15 feet from the side of the stream with line all in the tall grass and stuff and casted into a thin stream. Why not stand at the side of the stream and just flip the fly into the water? Why not use the reel to reel in the fish?

Is the idea of fly fishing to do everything as backwards a$$ed as po$$ible?

I just don't get it.

Jim

Edited by Radnine

Here’s my take on fly fishing

The cast

Casting a fly to a target 40ft out is a little different than casting a lure with a conventional set-up. You don’t cast the fly, you cast the line (which is heavy) and the line delivers the fly to the water. Essentially you’re rolling out (or unfurling) the line and the fly is traveling behind for the ride…If you watch fly casting in slow motion you will notice the line looks a lot like a candy cane that straightens up in the air…In fly casting, these are called loops.

The back-and-forth part of the cast causes the rod to bend (or in fly casting jargon to ‘load’). In fly casting you need the rod to load in order to cast.

With that said, you don’t always need to cast the line back and forth in order to cast. There are several other casts which have been developed to forego the back-cast through the use of water-loading (as in roll and spey casting) and you can literally grab the fly, pull the line (to get the rod to bend) and sling shot it to your target (though you’re pretty limited on how far you can get with this cast)

Why not use the reel to reel in the fish?

On small fish, you can strip them in. It saves you from having to strip out line to get to the same distances you want to cast out to. You are limited to how far you can cast by how much line is outside of the reel. Unlike spinning reels or baitcasting reels, line does not come freely off the spool. For larger fish like steelhead, salmon, pike and carp, I always use the reel to retrieve line.

Why not stand at the side of the stream and just flip the fly into the water?

Could be to keep stealthy and out of view of the fish.

Hope this helps

Edited by MJL

I watched a fly casting seminar at the fishing show. And I watched Mercer's episode on fly fishing for Gar.

My question is this: What is up with the line everywhere?

When you strip the fly in, you aren't using the reel like you would with a baitcast or spinning setup. You gotta put the line somewhere! lol

I also saw that show called "What a Catch", and the host was fly fishing in the middle of a grassy field. She stood about 15 feet from the side of the stream with line all in the tall grass and stuff and casted into a thin stream. Why not stand at the side of the stream and just flip the fly into the water?

First off she was most likely fishing for trout which are extremely spooky. I've had to crawl up to some pools when the water is gin clear in order not to spook fish (Even when I do, I see the odd monster spec swim out of the riffle and into the wood). Also, unless you are rollcasting, you need to make a few false casts in order to get the right amount of line out. False casts over the water does spook the fish, she was most likely trying to avoid that.

Why not use the reel to reel in the fish?

People do, but it's a lot more fun by using your hand :)

Is the idea of fly fishing to do everything as backwards a$$ed as po$$ible?

Depending on what you are fishing for, you cannot present the bait any better then with a flyrod.. It's also a purist sport, the bare minimums..

I just don't get it.

You should try it, you might be able to answer that all by yourself :)

BTW, I'm a complete rube at flyfishing, but it's a fun way to spend the day.

You'll catch more fish faster with a spinning rod and reel, and at a fraction of the cost! :Gonefishing::thumbsup_anim:

Not always. Ask Solopaddler about silver fishing in Alaska. :whistling:

I can also catch more early season pike on a fly that spoon, spinner etc.

A well rounded angler will be open to all forms of angling as there is no one best method to catch fish all of the time.

Edited by DRIFTER_016

When you strip the fly in, you aren't using the reel like you would with a baitcast or spinning setup. You gotta put the line somewhere! lol

First off she was most likely fishing for trout which are extremely spooky. I've had to crawl up to some pools when the water is gin clear in order not to spook fish (Even when I do, I see the odd monster spec swim out of the riffle and into the wood). Also, unless you are rollcasting, you need to make a few false casts in order to get the right amount of line out. False casts over the water does spook the fish, she was most likely trying to avoid that.

People do, but it's a lot more fun by using your hand :)

Depending on what you are fishing for, you cannot present the bait any better then with a flyrod.. It's also a purist sport, the bare minimums..

You should try it, you might be able to answer that all by yourself :)

BTW, I'm a complete rube at flyfishing, but it's a fun way to spend the day.

Good points, all.

Technically speaking, many things that can be done in fly fishing can also be done in other types of fishing (perhaps with less subtly). Want to cast a dry fly with a spinning rod? Use a plastic casting bubble tied onto the line. Want to cast a nymph or insect imitation? Use micro soft plastics. Nymphing? Use a float rod with a centrepin.LOL

For me I took up fly fishing because I wanted to try my hand at catching steelhead as many different ways as I could – At the time I already bottom bounced, cast lures and float fished. I wanted to go for a grand slam.LOL

Seems counter intuitive but the basis of fly casting revolves around technique and efficiency rather than strength or power. Essentially the less power you can afford to put into a cast, the better the cast will be – For distance fly casting, you will need to add a bit more ‘punch’ to the cast.

You might not think it, but the basic fly casting motion can be used in almost all forms of spin and bait casting. My experience in fly casting has been applied to other areas of my fishing.

I use my fly casting stroke (forward stroke) for pier fishing for salmon. My friends tell me that when I toss a Cleo out to the same distance they are (using the same equipment), it looks like I’m doing it with a fraction of the effort that they’re using…Hence I don’t get sore arms after 6-7 hrs of casting.

For my carp fishing, when I want to cast 140yards, I use the same principles of casting as seen in Scandinavian underhand spey casting where most of the work involves pulling the butt of the rod towards my chest in order to obtain even more tip speed on the cast.

Lots to learn about in fly fishing that can improve your fishing as a whole.

Fly fishing can sometimes be more productive than lures or soft plastics because of the subtle actions of fur and feathers and I’m guessing it might feel more edible than hard plastic or wood.

As an addition to my previous post, it is highly recommended to use the reel to reel in large, fast swimming fish. Grabbing onto the line when the fish takes off can give you a severe case of line burn (first hand experience).

You've lost me, what is lining?

Jim

Lining (aka flossing) means that instead of the fish taking the fly in its mouth, the leader (or line) slips into the fish's mouth first and the hook is eventually pulled into the corner of the mouth.

Whether you're fly fishing, float fishing or bottom bouncing, you can still line fish by using an excessively long 'search' leader. Back when I started steelheading, people would bottom bounce their rigs using 8-10ft long leaders. The majority of fish they hooked had the bait either somewhere on the fish's head or on the outside corner of the mouth.

So is it like horseback riding, not the most efficient way of getting around, but a time honoured tradition?

If your're looking for efficiency, neither spin, fly nor float is what you want.........get some gillnets.....

You'll catch more fish faster with a spinning rod and reel, and at a fraction of the cost! :Gonefishing::thumbsup_anim:

Says who? This is one of the most common 'myths' of fly fishing. You'll find fly gear from cheap stuff right up to rods and reels that run in the thousands.....same thing can be said about any fishing gear.