How to sharpen a filleting knife with a handheld knife sharpener..

chickenhawk

I've seen you clean fish, you can't blame that on the knife, lol

if it'a cheap knife your better just to get a new one, the metal of the cheaper knives it to soft and dosn't hold a good edge for long unless you sharpen it after every fish or 2

and dont forget

Your still a rube.. j/k

Gallimore

lmao gallimore....you never seen me clean no fish.....i had to clean fish everyday this summer....had to get better at it at some point....never had any of the guests complain about bones so i think im alright....and yeah your right i am a rube at steelie fishin....take ya out pikin and bassin sometime gallimore....lol thx for the advice and good to hear from ya...

Hawk

http://culinaryarts.about.com/od/culinarytools/ht/honing.htm

What Roy said. Using the steel is the second stage in sharpening a knife - it straightens and aligns the edge. If the knife is dull, then you need to shape the edge by removing a small amount of the blade by using a sharpening stone, crock sticks or similar.

The trick to using any of these sharpening tools is the ability to maintain a constant angle between the blade and the stone, or blade and steel. If you don't do this, your knife edge just gets rounder and duller the more you 'sharpen it'.

Edited by douG

Here ya go. I use steel all the time and works very well for me...

http://www.videojug.com/film/sharpening-a-knife-with-a-steel

One day doing it that way he's gonna cut his tallywacker off. Absolutely nuts steeling towards one's self !

Generally all I ever use to keep the knifes sharp in the house and cottage. Still have the one out of my fathers butcher shop...as well as the meat block.

One day doing it that way he's gonna cut his tallywacker off. Absolutely nuts steeling towards one's self !

But thats the proper method..... you shouldn't cut anything off unless you're retarded lol.....

For touching up an edge a steel is fine... for sharpening I use a Spyderco Sharpmaker... absolutely fantastic for putting a sticky sharp edge on pretty much anything....

Burt :)

A dull fillet knife is a sure sign of a sloppy/poor fisherman!!!

Your fillet knife should be maintained before, during, and after each fish cleaning/filleting!!!

Well said GCD!!

My knives are all VERY sharp, and they stay that way. Knives for fish, ONLY cut fish. Knives for meat ONLY cut meat.

A sharp knife is safer than a dull knife.

I use an oil stone to sharpen, with 2 different grits, one on each side. If you maintain them, you should only have to use the stone a couple times per season. A steel is all I use the most. Sometimes in a pinch, a sink will work. A strap of leather also keeps a nice edge. There is a definite knack to sharpening, you don 't want to be in a rush.

I agree with the statement mentioned about a guide with a dull knife.......whats up with that?? If you were my guide, I'd show you a few things. A dull knife is about as useful as a dead battery........a guide thats cleaning my fish with a dull knife wouldn't touch my fish!!

Sinker

I agree with the statement mentioned about a guide with a dull knife.......whats up with that?? If you were my guide, I'd show you a few things. A dull knife is about as useful as a dead battery........a guide thats cleaning my fish with a dull knife wouldn't touch my fish!!

Sinker

If my guide had a dull fillet knife... I'd be wondering where the real fish were?... and why I got stuck with a sub-par novice when I'm paying guide prices!!!???

His tip would be the size of a Paramecium!

Edited by GCD

A steel, or carbides, are great tools for keeping your edges trued and sharp. Over time a blade does flatten out and lose the bevel. At that point you need to resort to a stone to bring back the bevel and a good edge. Not too difficult on a Rapala blade. A bit more work on blades with a higher RC count like a Mora filet knife or a cutter's sloyd knife.